Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike

Default Thermostat wiring problem

I need to replace my old thermostat, which is cracked, and have bought
a new one. The problem is that it isn't clear where the power source is
supplied from, so I am having problems safely isolating it. Any tips,
please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Mike wrote:

I need to replace my old thermostat, which is cracked, and have bought
a new one. The problem is that it isn't clear where the power source
is supplied from, so I am having problems safely isolating it. Any
tips, please?

I presume you're talking about a room thermostat which controls the central
heating?

If so, the whole heating system - boiler, pump, zone valves (if any) -
should all be fed from a single FCU. If you find that and switch it off, the
stat should be safe to work on - but check it with a mains voltmeter (*not*
a neon screwdriver!) anyway.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
I need to replace my old thermostat, which is cracked, and have bought
a new one. The problem is that it isn't clear where the power source is
supplied from, so I am having problems safely isolating it. Any tips,
please?

attach voltmeter, pop breakers until it goes off. And if you dont know
that, leave it alone.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike

Thanks guys, its obvious really.
Mike

Whirlpool AKP510 electric oven thermostat problem Stuart UK diy 1 October 3rd 06 11:43 AM
Totaline thermostat problem Priz Home Repair 2 November 16th 05 08:23 PM
Wiring problem forester UK diy 11 February 3rd 05 12:41 PM
Thermostat Problem! Dave Gallant Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 03:22 AM
Central Heating - Problem with 3 way valve wiring. John UK diy 1 October 3rd 03 06:28 PM