DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thermostat wiring problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/132307-thermostat-wiring-problem.html)

Mike November 22nd 05 07:26 AM

Thermostat wiring problem

I need to replace my old thermostat, which is cracked, and have bought
a new one. The problem is that it isn't clear where the power source is
supplied from, so I am having problems safely isolating it. Any tips,
please?

Set Square November 22nd 05 10:27 AM

Thermostat wiring problem

Mike wrote:

I need to replace my old thermostat, which is cracked, and have bought
a new one. The problem is that it isn't clear where the power source
is supplied from, so I am having problems safely isolating it. Any
tips, please?

I presume you're talking about a room thermostat which controls the central
heating?

If so, the whole heating system - boiler, pump, zone valves (if any) -
should all be fed from a single FCU. If you find that and switch it off, the
stat should be safe to work on - but check it with a mains voltmeter (*not*
a neon screwdriver!) anyway.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

[email protected] November 22nd 05 02:03 PM

Thermostat wiring problem

Mike wrote:
I need to replace my old thermostat, which is cracked, and have bought
a new one. The problem is that it isn't clear where the power source is
supplied from, so I am having problems safely isolating it. Any tips,
please?

attach voltmeter, pop breakers until it goes off. And if you dont know
that, leave it alone.

NT

Mike November 22nd 05 09:13 PM

Thermostat wiring problem