Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

Default Sealant application technique

Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and a
work surface.?
Blair

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Funfly3

I mask off about 1/4 inch either side of the joint with masking tape and
apply the sealant and then smooth with the back of a teaspoon going the full
length in one hit
"Blair" wrote in message
Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and a
work surface.?
Blair

Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith

" "Blair" wrote in message
Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and
work surface.?
Blair

Use a wet finger, but add a little washing up liquid to the water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

Thanks for your help. Do you remove the masking tape immediately after
smoothing or do you wait for a period?
Blair

"Blair" wrote in message
Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and

work surface.?
Blair

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Blair wrote:
Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and a
work surface.?

Masking tape, well pressed down, a tool to smooth the
sealant, and removal of the masking tape (pulling
away from the sealant) immediately the seal is made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote:
Blair wrote:

Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles
and a
work surface.?

Masking tape, well pressed down, a tool to smooth the
sealant, and removal of the masking tape (pulling
away from the sealant) immediately the seal is made.

Sorry, should have added this:

|"
|"
|"
| \ ---
| \
| -------
-----------------

your smoothing tool should rest on the edges of the masking tape
so that when the tape is lifted there's a thickness of silicone
at the very edge of the seal as thick as the tape, and the bead
shouldn't be excessively "feathered", either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Blair wrote:
Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and a
work surface.?

Yep, what you need is a Fugenboy (!)

See this recent thread he

http://tinyurl.com/7wrv4 (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/9899de58459c85d0/ca1885bbafc4b012?hl=en#ca1885bbafc4b012)

The gizmo is he http://tinyurl.com/comdu (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100470&ts=93930&id=28167)

I've just bought one, and it's great - does seem very expensive for what
it is (a couple of bits of plastic) but they're made from a special
polymer which doesn't let the silicon adhere to it. Certainly made the
neatest seals I've ever produced.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Lobster wrote:
Blair wrote:

Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles
and a
work surface.?

Yep, what you need is a Fugenboy (!)

See this recent thread he

http://tinyurl.com/7wrv4 (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/9899de58459c85d0/ca1885bbafc4b012?hl=en#ca1885bbafc4b012)

The gizmo is he http://tinyurl.com/comdu (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100470&ts=93930&id=28167)

I've just bought one, and it's great - does seem very expensive for what
it is (a couple of bits of plastic) but they're made from a special
polymer which doesn't let the silicon adhere to it. Certainly made the
neatest seals I've ever produced.

David

Is this just a plastic finger so masking tape is still needed?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Funfly3

"Dave" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Blair wrote:

Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and
work surface.?

Yep, what you need is a Fugenboy (!)

See this recent thread he

http://tinyurl.com/7wrv4 (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/9899de58459c85d0/ca1885bbafc4b012?hl=en#ca1885bbafc4b012)
The gizmo is he http://tinyurl.com/comdu (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100470&ts=93930&id=28167)

I've just bought one, and it's great - does seem very expensive for what
it is (a couple of bits of plastic) but they're made from a special
polymer which doesn't let the silicon adhere to it. Certainly made the
neatest seals I've ever produced.

David

Is this just a plastic finger so masking tape is still needed?

Dave

I have tried without tape and its so much work to clean afterwards

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Funfly3 wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Lobster wrote:

Blair wrote:

[...]

I agree, I was asking about the Fugenboy link and whether it still
needed masking tape - presumably it does.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:08:36 +0000 (UTC), keith wrote:

Use a wet finger, but add a little washing up liquid to the water.

That's my favorite but I also aim not to put to much sealant down in
the first place, this is the real skill in applying sealant. It starts
with cutting nozzle to the correct size for the joint then smoothly
applying the stuff to the gap varying the speed such that the gap is
filled but not over filled and not moving so fast that the edges don't
adhere.

It is a skill but once you have the right amount of sealant down, in
one pass, all you need the wet finger to do is smooth off the
imperfections left by the nozzle riding over bumps. Again a single
smoothing pass, very little sealant should be removed.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Dave wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Blair wrote:

Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles
and a
work surface.?

Yep, what you need is a Fugenboy (!)

See this recent thread he

http://tinyurl.com/7wrv4 (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/9899de58459c85d0/ca1885bbafc4b012?hl=en#ca1885bbafc4b012)

The gizmo is he http://tinyurl.com/comdu (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100470&ts=93930&id=28167)

I've just bought one, and it's great - does seem very expensive for
what it is (a couple of bits of plastic) but they're made from a
special polymer which doesn't let the silicon adhere to it. Certainly
made the neatest seals I've ever produced.

Is this just a plastic finger so masking tape is still needed?

Nope, that's the whole point. If you go through the thread above, there
was reference made to a video clip of it in action - well, a different
version of the same thing marketed by Plumbworld. Haven't seen it
myself as it requires Real Player, which I refuse to install, but
apparently it explains all.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
snip
requires Real Player, which I refuse to install,

http://www.codecguide.com/about_real.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

Blair wrote:
Is there a technique for adding a neat consistent seal between tiles and a
work surface.?

Surprise, it's in the FAQ:
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/decorating.html#silicone

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Lobster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Lobster wrote:

Blair wrote:

[...]

Wow, that's an impressive video. I'll buy one of these gadgets.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Haven't seen it myself as it requires Real Player, which I refuse to
install

Have you tried Real Alternative ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

Haven't seen it
myself as it requires Real Player, which I refuse to install,

There are alternatives, but I've had various versions of RealPlayer
playing happily for years. I just gag them with the firewall to prevent
them downloading the maker's crap.

Another easy way of disabling the more annoying habits of RP is to
remove the files realsched.exe and realevent.exe from the installation
folder.
--
Dave
GS850x2 SE6a
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

Haven't seen it
myself as it requires Real Player, which I refuse to install,

There are alternatives, but I've had various versions of RealPlayer
playing happily for years. I just gag them with the firewall to prevent
them downloading the maker's crap.

Another easy way of disabling the more annoying habits of RP is to
remove the files realsched.exe and realevent.exe from the installation
folder.

Version 8 is unobtrusive and can still be downloaded from

www.oldversion.com

Doesn't handle the BBC's video clips but I'm hoping I can upgrade
without going into the lion's den. Why are the BBC in cahoots with Real?

Window Frame to Wall Sealant Frank UK diy 3 April 14th 05 10:50 AM
application of cental heating leak sealant? Rafal UK diy 0 March 1st 05 08:57 PM
Sealant for granite kitchen countertops Les Home Repair 2 December 21st 04 12:16 AM
Bath sealant Lawrie UK diy 4 February 25th 04 09:57 AM
bathroom sealant Reestit Mutton UK diy 13 December 1st 03 10:03 AM