Posted to uk.d-i-y
wendel4711

Default Glowworm Flue Fan problem

Can anyone tell me how to remove the fan assembly from this boiler
please?
I've taken out the two screws at the front as detailed in the manual,
but it's stuck at the top where it joins the flue. How does it fix to
the flue? Do I just use brute force, or is there a clamp holding it?

Any help much appreciated.

Wendel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"wendel4711" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me how to remove the fan assembly from this boiler
please?
I've taken out the two screws at the front as detailed in the manual,
but it's stuck at the top where it joins the flue. How does it fix to
the flue? Do I just use brute force, or is there a clamp holding it?

Any help much appreciated.

Wendel

It might amaze you to learn that Glow worm make several models of boilerg
Knowing which model you have would enable a sensible answer to be given.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
wendel4711 writes
Can anyone tell me how to remove the fan assembly from this boiler
please?
I've taken out the two screws at the front as detailed in the manual,
but it's stuck at the top where it joins the flue. How does it fix to
the flue? Do I just use brute force, or is there a clamp holding it?

Which one of the dozens of different glowworm fans are you on about

piece of advice, brute force will probably bugger whatever the fan's
attached to

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
wendel4711

Apologies- this was a copy/paste error not an indication of idiocy.
Tell me you've never sent an e-mail and forgotten the attachment, and
I'll call you a liar...
I have now removed the fan with considerable difficulty from my
Fuelsaver Complheat 80 version 2 built 1995, and, for the benefit of
any other poor bugger faced with the same problem I'll relate what I
had to do.
I tried tapping, rotating, WD40, warming, freezing, and prayer. Nothing
would shift it, and there was a very real danger of destroying the flue
assembly it was stuck into.
Finally I loosened the external flue form the top of the boiler, and
jacked the fan assembly up by about an inch or so by putting a small
wooden block under it inside the boiler. This exposed the collar of the
fan assembly above the boiler casing, from where I was able to use a
hacksaw horizontally and cut through.
Then I was able to cart the flue pipe off to the workbench to remove
the remainder of the fan assembly in a more favourable environment.
Having examined the level of corrosion, I'd say there was no other way
to do it.

Wendel III