Default Cold water feed to shower

I'm fitting a new shower pump and it says that the feed from the cold
water tank must be connected 60mm below the existing cold water outlet.
Can someone please explain the reason for this because I can't get any
lower down on the tank. Thank you.

Funfly3

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm fitting a new shower pump and it says that the feed from the cold
water tank must be connected 60mm below the existing cold water outlet.
Can someone please explain the reason for this because I can't get any
lower down on the tank. Thank you.

not being a plumber but thinking logically I should imagine its to prevent
the cold water running out before the hot and scalding you?? a bit like
making the earth lead longer than the rest in a plug top so its the last to
be pulled out

Funfly3

"Funfly3" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm fitting a new shower pump and it says that the feed from the cold
water tank must be connected 60mm below the existing cold water outlet.
Can someone please explain the reason for this because I can't get any
lower down on the tank. Thank you.

not being a plumber but thinking logically I should imagine its to prevent
the cold water running out before the hot and scalding you?? a bit like
making the earth lead longer than the rest in a plug top so its the last
to be pulled out

just had a thought move the existing feed up 60mm and use the old one for
the shower

No hot water is involved.

It just says the cold feed to the shower must be 60mm below the cold
feed to the taps etc.

Funfly3

you shower with just cold from the pump???? you must have hot water or your
braver than me
wrote in message
oups.com...
No hot water is involved.

It just says the cold feed to the shower must be 60mm below the cold
feed to the taps etc.

Steven Campbell

"Funfly3" wrote in message
you shower with just cold from the pump???? you must have hot water or

your
braver than me

not being a plumber but thinking logically

The shower only has a cold water feed. So the cold water can't run out
before the hot!! If the feed stops then the shower simply stops.

Funfly3

"Funfly3" wrote in message
you shower with just cold from the pump???? you must have hot water or

your
braver than me

not being a plumber but thinking logically

The shower only has a cold water feed. So the cold water can't run out
before the hot!! If the feed stops then the shower simply stops.

if that's the case is it not an electric shower fed from mains water
pressure and then why the need for a pump unless there are there are pump
fed electric heated showers

Andy Hall

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 01:48:01 +0000, John Rumm

I'm fitting a new shower pump and it says that the feed from the cold
water tank must be connected 60mm below the existing cold water outlet.
Can someone please explain the reason for this because I can't get any
lower down on the tank. Thank you.

The logic is that at some point they are expecting you to have a shower
mixer that will be taking hot water from a cylinder that is replenished
from the same tank as you are taking the cold feed. Hence for safety it
is better if the feed to the cylinder is exposed first should the water
level get too low. That way the hot stops flowing before the cold.

If that is not the system you plan to install then you probably have no
need to worry.

.... and for the solution to the OP's dilemma, one way is to fit a new
tank connector a bit above the existing one. Then move the feed to
the HW cylinder to the new one and the cold to the shower pump to the
original connector.

This makes sure that hot stops before cold.

--

..andy