Martin

Default Make or Buy a Shed

Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials? Is it
cheaper than buying one?

TIA
Martin

Gogs

Dont know if this is any help to you but I just put up a metal one
which was quite cheap but its was hassle to put up, then put up one of
the plastic Keter ones and it was a lot easier and quicker, doesn't
need treating like wood

Christian McArdle

Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials? Is it
cheaper than buying one?

My calculations showed that a home built one would be similar in cost, but
would probably be made of more solid materials. However, the speed of
erection of the manufactured one blows away a home made one. To get some DIY
in, I did prepare the base, assemble it, insulate it with Kingspan,
plasterboard and paint it inside and out. They look much better painted than
stained, too. So it looks like a beach hut, but rather that than looking
like a few fence panels.

Plasterboard and paint inside really does keep the spiders away, too.

Christian.

Martin

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials? Is it
cheaper than buying one?

My calculations showed that a home built one would be similar in cost, but
would probably be made of more solid materials.

This may sway me to build one from scratch.

However, the speed of
erection of the manufactured one blows away a home made one. To get some

DIY
in, I did prepare the base, assemble it, insulate it with Kingspan,
plasterboard and paint it inside and out. They look much better painted

than
stained, too. So it looks like a beach hut, but rather that than looking
like a few fence panels.

Plasterboard and paint inside really does keep the spiders away, too.

I like the idea of platerboarding the inside.

Thanks,

Martin

John Cartmell

In article ,
Martin wrote:
Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials? Is it
cheaper than buying one?

Probably about the same price - but you can make just what you want. I wanted
a shed in a narrow space next to a brick garage and used the garage wall as
one long wall of the shed. It would have been impossible to buy ready made
materials to fit and a bespoke equivalent would have cost far more. It was
easy to make using shiplap.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:14:22 -0000, "Martin"
wrote:

Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials?

Every which way.

I can't beat the timber price on cheap sheds, and I'm working from raw
trees and a bandsaw mill! However I also build them to be rather
better made than the usual Happy Shopper "factory nailed panels with
screws through the corners" approach. I just wouldn't be happy with one
of those as a shed. If you price up larch from somewhere like
http://www.bendreybrothers.co.uk/ then you can beat the typical
"construction" softwood prices substantially, even if you are then using
4x4 uprights (or 6x6 if you're Paul!)

A chap _needs_ a Shed.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials? Is it
cheaper than buying one?

TIA
Martin

It's certainly better to make a shed than to buy the flimsy rubbish
that the DIY stores sell. It won't be cheaper, but it's easy to make
one that will be substantially better in terms of strength and
quality.

This is true for standard sheds. However, if you wanted a more
substantial thing like a cabin, then those made from 28mm machined
timber that slot together are pretty good (especially if enhanced with
your own features).

--

..andy

Mike Dodd

Martin wrote:
[...]

Built mine last year from scratch.

For what it cost - circa £200 (then add a bit for felt / glass) I got a
nice 6.5 x 8 shed using 16mm shiplap boards. Nice build (says I) and to
the dimensions that I wanted. Looked at all the sheds available in the
main DIY shops first to work out how not to do it; Spent a couple of
weekends getting it together, jobs a good un.

Worthwhile tools - if you're using shiplap or similar - electric chop /
compound mitre type saw, circular saw, usual hammer / nails. On
reflection I might have preferred to hire a decent nail gun.

Satisfying job, and I couldn't get anything remotely close enough in
terms of build quality for the price.

One last thing... Find a decent timber merchants to source the materials

Martin wrote:
Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials? Is it
cheaper than buying one?

TIA
Martin

You can make a much better customised shed for the same price, which
will last far longer, something much cheaper from fence panels, or
something truly 'orrid for a tenner.

So whatever route you take, its better value moneywise. Just more work.

NT

Andy Hall

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:21:17 +0000, Mike Dodd
wrote:

Built mine last year from scratch.

For what it cost - circa £200 (then add a bit for felt / glass) I got a
nice 6.5 x 8 shed using 16mm shiplap boards. Nice build (says I) and to
the dimensions that I wanted. Looked at all the sheds available in the
main DIY shops first to work out how not to do it; Spent a couple of
weekends getting it together, jobs a good un.

Worthwhile tools - if you're using shiplap or similar - electric chop /
compound mitre type saw, circular saw, usual hammer / nails. On
reflection I might have preferred to hire a decent nail gun.

Satisfying job, and I couldn't get anything remotely close enough in
terms of build quality for the price.

One last thing... Find a decent timber merchants to source the materials

Definitely. It's worth putting together a project list with all
materials listed and calling around a few of them to get the best
price, making it clear that any crappy wood will be returned.

--

..andy

david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

Definitely. It's worth putting together a project list with all
materials listed and calling around a few of them to get the best
price, making it clear that any crappy wood will be returned.

I'll bet your local timber merchants just love it when they see you walking
through the gates.......

Dave

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:33:17 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

I'll bet your local timber merchants just love it when they see you walking
through the gates.......

Mine do. I spend money and I'm loyal to those suppliers. One of them
sells me "crap wood" or "good wood", depending on what I need it for.

The supplier (Robbins) that just wants to sell me whatever they've got
on the racks, and can't do any large-scale machining on it that I might
need just doesn't have me walking through their gate any more. They
clearly don't _want_ my money, so I don't give it to them.

John Rumm

Martin wrote:

Anyone had experience making a wooden shed from raw materials? Is it

Yes:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/phase3.htm

cheaper than buying one?

No...

(Way nicer shed though ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Definitely. It's worth putting together a project list with all
materials listed and calling around a few of them to get the best
price, making it clear that any crappy wood will be returned.

I'll bet your local timber merchants just love it when they see you walking
through the gates.......

Love/hate relationship really. :-)

Generally I go and pick it myself if it's for a woodworking project.

If it's bulk softwood for a project like this, I typically mill it
myself anyway so that I can get the shapes I want.

Another aproach I've agreed sometimes is after having agreed the
price, is then to suggest to them that if they think that there could
be problems with some of the wood that they might like to allow X%
more to cover crappy bits.

Usually, good quality stuff and extra arrive......

--

..andy