Clive

Default Brickwork - an opinion please

This is not really a DIY question but it seems an appropriate place to post
my question, so here goes:-

I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good
reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned that
they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder is due back
tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I insist that it is
re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and
had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match
the house, is that correct?

I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.

The following link points to a photo of the work:-

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cli...zd7DB5pCHKeUdI would appreciate some feedback.Thanks,- Clive

Clive wrote:
This is not really a DIY question but it seems an appropriate place to post
my question, so here goes:-

I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good
reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned that
they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder is due back
tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I insist that it is
re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and
had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match
the house, is that correct?

I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.

Have you tried drying the face off one of the bricks to see if it makes
a difference?

John Cartmell

In article ,
Clive wrote:
The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and
had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match
the house, is that correct?

Is he suggesting that you had taken the bricks of your house and put them
inside to keep them dry whilst it was raining?

mark

"John Cartmell" wrote in message

--
John Cartmell john@ followed by fibank.com 0845 006 9999
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8000-549-5777 www.fonnybank.com

NO! READ the message again. Incase you missed it -

"The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and
had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match
the house, is that correct?"

You need to work out the difference from what the actual wording is from
what you would like it to be in order to have an excuse to send an
irrelevant message out.

The answer is that the bricks will fade to match, but common sense would
tell people to dry one out as a test first. Has it been raining and have
the bricks been outside in the rain? As none of us in the group can see the
bricks then it is difficult to advise really, you are better speaking to the
builder when he turns up. If you have an agreement in writing with him that
the colour of the bricks must match existing brick work then there is no
problem.
You do have an agreement I hope!

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Clive wrote:
[...]

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cli...9&.dnm=350e.jp
g&.src=ph&.tok=phqzd7DB5pCHKeUdI
would appreciate some feedback.Thanks,- Clive

In all fairness its very hard to find bricks that will match that of a
house that was built 10 years ago? unless you can find the supplier that
made those bricks. To me they look as if when dry will match the existing
brickwork.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Lurch

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:59:48 -0000, "Clive"
mused:

This is not really a DIY question but it seems an appropriate place to post
my question, so here goes:-

I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good
reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned that
they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder is due back
tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I insist that it is
re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and
had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match
the house, is that correct?

I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.

Yep, just look wet to me. Leave them to dry out, might take a few
days\weeks but they will dry to match.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |
John Cartmell

In article ,
mark wrote:
NO! READ the message again. Incase you missed it -

"The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and
had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match
the house, is that correct?"

So why are the bricks of the house a different colour?

You need to work out the difference from what the actual wording is from
what you would like it to be in order to have an excuse to send an
irrelevant message out.

I apologise for not making it simpler for you to undrstand.

bland

"Clive" wrote in message
news
This is not really a DIY question but it seems an appropriate place to
post my question, so here goes:-

I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good
reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned that
they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder is due
back tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I insist that it
is re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet
and had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to
match the house, is that correct?

I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.

The following link points to a photo of the work:-

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cli...zd7DB5pCHKeUdI
would appreciate some feedback.Thanks,- Clive

Get him to leave a brick and put it in the oven at a low gas, or electric
100 deg. for a couple of hours and allow to cool to see if the colour goes
lighter.

bland

Cicero

"Clive" wrote in message
news
This is not really a DIY question but it seems an appropriate place to
post my question, so here goes:-

I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good
reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned that
they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder is due
back tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I insist that it
is re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet
and had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to
match the house, is that correct?

I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.

The following link points to a photo of the work:-

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cli...zd7DB5pCHKeUdI
would appreciate some feedback.Thanks,- Clive

===============
There's also a few gallons of water in the mortar which bleeds onto the
brick faces as the whole wall dries out so I doubt if you've got anything to
worry about. As far as can be seen from your picture the builder appears to
have made quite a good job of the brickwork (nicely keyed in) so he's
probably got the bricks right as well.

Cic.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Clive wrote:
I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good
reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned
that they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder
is due back tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I
insist that it is re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had
been out in the wet and had absorbed water and that over time they
would dry out and fade to match the house, is that correct?

Looks like he has used the correct bricks - but remember near anything
outside 'weathers' over a period of time. So if after a reasonable time
for things to dry out if it still stands out the only alternative might be
to have the rest of that wall cleaned.

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Weatherlawyer

Cicero wrote:
"Clive" wrote in message
news
I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.

There's also a few gallons of water in the mortar which bleeds onto the
brick faces as the whole wall dries out so I doubt if you've got anything to
worry about. As far as can be seen from your picture the builder appears to
have made quite a good job of the brickwork (nicely keyed in) so he's
probably got the bricks right as well.

The bricks can hold a hell of a lot of water which will show up for a
few days
if they have been soaked long and hard. But the headers showing on the
old
brikwork at the join seem to show that there will be a fair bit of
difference.

I doubt that you will get any better done though. Even using bricks
from the
same delivery, you will get visible discrepancies if the bricks are not
selected
a few from each pallet for each load. It would be easier to get
matching compo
but even that might be impossible.

You'd beter start thinking of training a cherry or some ivy. He
shouldn't have told
you he could get a perfect match and I somehow doubt he really did.

Pilgarlick

"Cicero" wrote in message
k...

"Clive" wrote in message
news
[...]

"Get him to leave a brick". There's an informed opinion for you. Someone
who thinks that brickies carry their unused bricks around with them!

I have seen some horrendous matches between bricks that are of the same
variety/ pattern and from the same manufacturer. Those in your project don't
look too bad to my eye and may well dry out to a closer colour match as your
builder suggests. They do also appear to be the same "sort" of brick as in
the main body of the house. Do you have any reason to suspect that this may
not be so?

Looking ahead a little, if you do tell the builder to stop work and obtain
the "correct" bricks and he says these are the correct bricks, where do
things go from there? You probably have to prove your point and find the
"correct" bricks or face the forthcoming dispute. If you feel that the match
is unacceptable and you do not believe the "drying out" theory then you must
object, but if you do object either you or the builder must employ an
alternative strategy, as an objection, in itself, will not provide
alternative/ acceptable bricks, or complete your project.

We would all like the bricks in extensions/ modifications on our houses to
be undetectable from the originals, in practice this is rarely the case as
manufacturing variations over the course of time frequently render
perfection impossible. As I sit here typing this I have in sight a house
frontage where an extension has been erected. The extension was built 40
years after the house was erected and so matching was almost impossible.
When it was originally built (10 years or so), the new section was quite
glaringly different but now the difference is still visible but far less
obvious than it was.

Sorry it can't be a yes/ no answer but there can't be one without letting
the bricks settle to their final colour and even then it has to be your
opinion and no-one else's. Hope this may clarify the matter a little.

Regards

Pilgarlick

shazzbat

SNIP

It seems to me that there is quite a range of colours to be found in both
the original and the new bricks. It should fit in well I think. I had a
similar problem, where I live the builders built 6 terraces/blocks of flats
in different colours of brick, but they only used 5 colours. On the 6th,
they used a mixture of all 5 colours. Guess which one I live in?

Also remember that even if you knew which brick Co made the original bricks,
they may no longer be available.

Steve

keith_765

"Clive" wrote in message
news
[...]

Chuck a bucket of water or play an hose pipe on the original brick work that
should tell you the answer.

Clive

SNIP
In all fairness its very hard to find bricks that will match that of a
house that was built 10 years ago? unless you can find the supplier that
made those bricks. To me they look as if when dry will match the existing
brickwork.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

A very good guess regarding the build date - it was in fact ten years ago
last month that the house was built!

- C.

Clive

SNIP

I am encouraged by the number of people who seem to think that they will
fade as time goes by.

The builder told me they were the best match he could get - I have no reason
whatsoever to doubt his word that they will fade over time - I was just
seeking a second opinion. The builder has an excellent reputation locally so
I am sure it will all work out okay.

I just get into a panic easily ;-)

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

- C.

PS.

I like the suggestion about drying one out in the oven....just got to
convince the wife that I am have not completely lost the plot when I ask
whether I can bake a brick for a couple of hours....

Andy

"Clive" wrote in message
SNIP

I am encouraged by the number of people who seem to think that they will
fade as time goes by.

The builder told me they were the best match he could get - I have no
reason whatsoever to doubt his word that they will fade over time - I was
just seeking a second opinion. The builder has an excellent reputation
locally so I am sure it will all work out okay.

I just get into a panic easily ;-)

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

- C.

PS.

I like the suggestion about drying one out in the oven....just got to
convince the wife that I am have not completely lost the plot when I ask
whether I can bake a brick for a couple of hours....

If all else fails, you may be able to change the colour of the bricks by
rubbing
their surface with some suitable material. Quite what I'm not sure, but some
kind
of suitably coloured dust might work, e.g. concrete colourant applied very
sparsely.
The bricks look as though they need lightening, so a red/russet colourant
mixed with
grey/white cement to suit and dusted on sparsely in a muslin bag might work.
Very experimental though!

Andy.

Martin

"Clive" wrote in message
SNIP
In all fairness its very hard to find bricks that will match that of a
house that was built 10 years ago? unless you can find the supplier that
made those bricks. To me they look as if when dry will match the existing
brickwork.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

A very good guess regarding the build date - it was in fact ten years ago
last month that the house was built!

That's quick work - built in a month...... :-)

--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]

dg

They look a good match to me, and also seem wet as the builder says.

I would be more concerned that as they are saturated, there is a high
chance that they will now experience efflorecence (white salts) on the
surface, which will be a pain to remove and will look unsightly for
years.

Bricks should be kept dry, and covered when laid to prevent them geting
when (especially via the top of the wall)

dg

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:59:48 +0000, Clive wrote:

This is not really a DIY question but it seems an appropriate place to post
my question, so here goes:-

I am having a garage conversion done by a local builder (who has a good
reputation). Yesterday some bricks were laid but I am quite concerned that
they are not a match with the existing house bricks. The builder is due back
tomorrow and I need to know how to play it, i.e. do I insist that it is
re-done? The bricklayer told me that the bricks had been out in the wet and
had absorbed water and that over time they would dry out and fade to match
the house, is that correct?

I don't want to kick up a fuss unless it is justified.

The following link points to a photo of the work:-

ve

The bricks do look as if they are damp and that they would dry out match.
In particular they seem to have the same sort of variation amongst
themselves. as the exiting.

It's a bit late now but if I were in any doubt I get a hot air gun and
dry a few out. There should be some fragments of the originals lying
around these can be compared to check they are the same manufacturer.

Also the original fragments can be moistened and a made against the new
work.

HTH

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Brickwork vintage guide bricklaying 1945 FA Sarah M. UK diy 26 December 6th 04 01:53 AM
Brickwork steps Stephen Butler UK diy 1 July 28th 04 09:58 PM
water stains on kitchen ceiling along side chminey brickwork Chris Home Repair 0 February 24th 04 08:16 AM
'Pinning back the brickwork' - valuer's report David UK diy 4 September 26th 03 09:19 PM