Default A Non-friction bicycle lights generator (dynamo)

In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed, no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless speed
of the bicycle and weather conditions (unlike normal dynamos!). Very
bright.

It can be used as a stand-alone light system (as a normal dynamo) on
your bike, or used as a back-up for your existed battery-powered
lights.

There are DIY kits of this dynamo.

All details and buy on-line: http://www.freelights.co.uk

EricP

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:41:46 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
wrote:

In article . com,
says...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed, no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless speed
of the bicycle and weather conditions (unlike normal dynamos!). Very
bright.

It can be used as a stand-alone light system (as a normal dynamo) on
your bike, or used as a back-up for your existed battery-powered
lights.

There are DIY kits of this dynamo.

Is this spam? Seems to be cropping up all over the place at the moment.

Is it remotely legal as well?

raden

In message , Hywel
Jenkins writes
In article . com,
says...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed, no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless speed
of the bicycle and weather conditions (unlike normal dynamos!). Very
bright.

It can be used as a stand-alone light system (as a normal dynamo) on
your bike, or used as a back-up for your existed battery-powered
lights.

There are DIY kits of this dynamo.

Is this spam? Seems to be cropping up all over the place at the moment.

Well, it's a commercial posting whatever

Remember kiddies, these people will steal your pocket money

--
geoff

chris French

In message , EricP
writes
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:41:46 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
wrote:

In article . com,
says...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed, no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless speed
of the bicycle and weather conditions (unlike normal dynamos!).

Is this spam? Seems to be cropping up all over the place at the moment.

Is it remotely legal as well?

Probably yes, if you referto the flashing ness of the lights, there has
been a recent change in the law that allows cyclists to have flashing
lights on their bike
--
Chris French

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
ups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed,

no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless

speed
snip

So it totally illegal to use on the highway then...

chris French

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

wrote in message
oups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed,

no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless

speed
snip

So it totally illegal to use on the highway then...

As long as the lights put out at least 4 candela it's legal

--
Chris French

Chris J Dixon

chris French wrote:

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed,

no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless

speed
snip

So it totally illegal to use on the highway then...

As long as the lights put out at least 4 candela it's legal

Looks to me as if there could be a significant pause between
flashes at low speeds, and even with the battery option, I think
the front light goes out when stationary.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

:::Jerry::::

"chris French" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

wrote in message
oups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is

needed,
no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash

regardless
speed
snip

So it totally illegal to use on the highway then...

As long as the lights put out at least 4 candela it's legal

Wrong. Try reading the relevant law relating to this, (RVLR regs 18 £
24), rather than what the ignoranus fascist cyclists try and suggest.

Flashing lights may be used, but they *MUST NOT* be used on their
own, a normal *constant* output light source must be used as well.

Andy Wade

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Wrong. Try reading the relevant law relating to this, (RVLR regs 18 £
24), rather than what the ignoranus fascist cyclists try and suggest.

Right, actually. Try reading the The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment)
Regulations 2005, which came into force on 21st October:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm

Also http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071

Flashing lights may be used, but they *MUST NOT* be used on their
own, a normal *constant* output light source must be used as well.

That is no longer the case.

--
Andy

5 leds means very little light. It probably works but is crap. No
resistance is impossible - very little resistance means very little
light. You don't get owt fer nowt,
cheers
Jacob

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
On 12 Nov,
":::Jerry::::" wrote:

"chris French" wrote in

message
In message

ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

wrote in message
oups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is

needed,
no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash

regardless
speed
snip

So it totally illegal to use on the highway then...

As long as the lights put out at least 4 candela it's legal

Wrong. Try reading the relevant law relating to this, (RVLR regs

18 £
24), rather than what the ignoranus fascist cyclists try and

suggest.

Flashing lights may be used, but they *MUST NOT* be used on their
own, a normal *constant* output light source must be used as

well.

Not since October, the regulations changed. Flashing is permitted

for the
sole obligatory lamps.

Lunatics in charge of the asylum again... :~(

chris French

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

"chris French" wrote in message
In message

news.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

wrote in message
oups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is

needed,
no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash

regardless
speed
snip

So it totally illegal to use on the highway then...

As long as the lights put out at least 4 candela it's legal

Wrong.

Sorry, but you are the one who is wrong, though it is a recent change
in the law so I'll let you off....

Try reading the relevant law relating to this, (RVLR regs 18 £
24),

May I suggest you do the same.

I refer you to 'The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 2005'

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm

Which came into force 21/10/05.

rather than what the ignoranus fascist cyclists try and suggest.

This cyclist isn't ignorant or fascist, but he does know what the law is
regarding cycle lighting. If you are going to throw out stupid insults
it pays to be sure of your ground first.

Flashing lights may be used,

Actually it was illegal to fit flashing lights to cycles under the
previous regulations (though legal for the cyclist to wear them).

but they *MUST NOT* be used on their
own, a normal *constant* output light source must be used as well.

The above Amendment to the RVLR now makes flashing lights BY THEMSELVES
legal on cycles. At the moment the only requirements are that the
flashing lights have brightness of at least 4 candela and flash evenly
between 1 and 4 times second. This is probably an interim measure, and
presumably BS6102/3 will be amended in do course (there are oddities,
like if the light has steady mode it must meet the more stringent
requirements of BS6102/3)

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071

Seems to give a good summary of the current law re cycle lighting
regulations

whether or not the light in question that started this thread meets the
requirements I've no idea, I can imagine it may well not.
--
Chris French

:::Jerry::::

"chris French" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
snip

This cyclist isn't ignorant or fascist, but he does know what the

law is
regarding cycle lighting. If you are going to throw out stupid

insults
it pays to be sure of your ground first.

Ok, you might not be a fascist but you are, IMO, ignorant and a
cretin.

As I said in another message, lunatics have been place in charge of
their asylum.

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Lunatics in charge of the asylum again... :~(

Sounds like a sensible change to me. Flashing lights are far more
"noticable".

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Ok, you might not be a fascist but you are, IMO, ignorant and a
cretin.

So he knew the law and you didn't, and yet you call him ignorant?

Oh the irony!

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"Huge" wrote in message
John Rumm writes:
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Lunatics in charge of the asylum again... :~(

Sounds like a sensible change to me. Flashing lights are far more
"noticable".

Hear, hear.

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor vehicle
tail lights?...

:::Jerry::::

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Ok, you might not be a fascist but you are, IMO, ignorant and a
cretin.

So he knew the law and you didn't, and yet you call him ignorant?

Oh the irony!

I was commenting on the fact that he (seems to) supports a lethal
light.

Alan

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor vehicle
tail lights?...

and ask yourself why 10/20W lights haven't been specified for a bicycle.

--
Alan

chris French

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Ok, you might not be a fascist but you are, IMO, ignorant and a
cretin.

So he knew the law and you didn't, and yet you call him ignorant?

Oh the irony!

I was commenting on the fact that he (seems to) supports a lethal
light.

1. I didn't express any opinion in my post as to whether or not I
thought this is a good thing or not.

--
Chris French

:::Jerry::::

"Alan" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor

vehicle
tail lights?...

and ask yourself why 10/20W lights haven't been specified for a

bicycle.

Intermittent vs. constant, look them up in your dictionary...

:::Jerry::::

"Huge" wrote in message

snip abusive reply

Nothing left to reply to...

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor vehicle
tail lights?...

Easy, they compensate with lots of power, bikes don't have that option.
Cars are also large visible things.

Ask yourself why do turn signals and hazard warning lights flash on a car.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

I was commenting on the fact that he (seems to) supports a lethal
light.

How is a light that gets a cyclist noticed better "lethal"?

--
Cheers,

John.

chris French

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

"chris French" wrote in message
In message

news.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes
I was commenting on the fact that he (seems to) supports a lethal
light.

1. I didn't express any opinion in my post as to whether or not I
thought this is a good thing or not.

Yes you did.

Where is Widow Twanky when you need her?

--
Chris French

Alan

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

"Alan" wrote in message
In message

news.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor

vehicle
tail lights?...

and ask yourself why 10/20W lights haven't been specified for a

bicycle.

Intermittent vs. constant, look them up in your dictionary...

My point is that if it is deemed unsafe to have a rear light below a
certain wattage on a car why wasn't the _same_ legislation applied to
bicycle lights?

The legislation with regards bicycle lighting was probably written
around what was practical at the time. Technology has since improved
and the better quality flashing lights allows the bicycle rider to be
more noticeable to other road users.

The biggest problem is that the majority of bicycle riders don't fit any
form of lighting when riding at night. Road safety is probably not
compromised at all by fitting flashing lights rather than constant
lighting, but it is by not fitting any lights at all.

--
Alan

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:11:03 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor vehicle
tail lights?...

_Motor_ vehicles have alternators and can afford the sheer brute force
solution of high light outputs. Cyclists (and horses) don't have this as
an option.

You'll also notice that the "exceptional" vehicles that may cause an
additional hazard (stopping in odd places, not following normal rules of
the road) are fitted with flashing orange or blue lights.

:::Jerry::::

"Alan" wrote in message
news
In message
ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

"Alan" wrote in message
In message

news.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor

vehicle
tail lights?...

and ask yourself why 10/20W lights haven't been specified for a

bicycle.

Intermittent vs. constant, look them up in your dictionary...

My point is that if it is deemed unsafe to have a rear light below

certain wattage on a car why wasn't the _same_ legislation applied

bicycle lights?

How many cycles do you know (outside of road racing) that can do
50mph, let alone 70 (or more) mph?

The legislation with regards bicycle lighting was probably written
around what was practical at the time. Technology has since

improved
and the better quality flashing lights allows the bicycle rider to

be
more noticeable to other road users.

snip

You can have a 'bright' light, it doesn't have to flash.

:::Jerry::::

wrote:

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor

vehicle
tail lights?...

_Motor_ vehicles have alternators and can afford the sheer brute

force
solution of high light outputs. Cyclists (and horses) don't have

this as
an option.

WTF has that got to do with it, the issue is the use of *flashing*
lights as a main source of illumination.

You'll also notice that the "exceptional" vehicles that may cause

an
additional hazard (stopping in odd places, not following normal

rules of
the road) are fitted with flashing orange or blue lights.

Err, blue lights are only fitted to emergency vehicles (and are in
addition to other lighting), as for flashing amber lights (which are
again in *addition* to the normal regulatory lights), if you are
suggesting that cyclist should be made to fit or wear them as well
[1] - you might have a point, I totally agree, many cyclists are
nothing but mobile hazards!

[1] I can just see a market for cycle helmets with built-in flashing
amber bacons... :~)

:::Jerry::::

"chris French" wrote in message
snip

Where is Widow Twanky when you need her?

Look in the mirror!

Alan

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

My point is that if it is deemed unsafe to have a rear light below

certain wattage on a car why wasn't the _same_ legislation applied

bicycle lights?

How many cycles do you know (outside of road racing) that can do
50mph, let alone 70 (or more) mph?

A bicycle travelling at 5 mph and a car following at 55mph gives a
closing speed of 50mph.

--
Alan

Fred

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
reenews.net...

How many cycles do you know (outside of road racing) that can do
50mph, let alone 70 (or more) mph?

That all depends on how steep the hill is!

Fred

wrote in message
ups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is needed, no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless speed
of the bicycle and weather conditions (unlike normal dynamos!). Very
bright.

It can be used as a stand-alone light system (as a normal dynamo) on
your bike, or used as a back-up for your existed battery-powered
lights.

There are DIY kits of this dynamo.

All details and buy on-line: http://www.freelights.co.uk

This bits impressive! "No drag can be detected in this device; it is not a
traditional dynamo. With this innovative, electrical generating system you
will not feel any extra weight when you are cycling. "

No drag = no power transfer = no electrical power generated; QED

Perpetual motion? I recall hub dynamos which didn't rely on friction
drive.

Rob Morley

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Unfortunately they didn't put out enough power, especially at low speed.
You could see the lamps flicker as they turned :-)
Bottom-bracket mounted dynamos are pretty good as they don't scrub like
the sidewall-driven ones can, but they can be prone to slipping and/or
rapid wear because the back tyre dumps loads of crap on them. You can
get toothed-belt drive dynamos that are driven by a pulley attached to
the side of the hub. A properly set up high-quality sidewall-driven
dynamo can still work pretty well anyway.
Pete C

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:26:37 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

Perpetual motion? I recall hub dynamos which didn't rely on friction
drive.

Unfortunately they didn't put out enough power, especially at low speed.
You could see the lamps flicker as they turned :-)
Bottom-bracket mounted dynamos are pretty good as they don't scrub like
the sidewall-driven ones can, but they can be prone to slipping and/or
rapid wear because the back tyre dumps loads of crap on them. You can
get toothed-belt drive dynamos that are driven by a pulley attached to
the side of the hub. A properly set up high-quality sidewall-driven
dynamo can still work pretty well anyway.

Posted on another group:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

cheers,
Pete.
Fred

wrote:

Perpetual motion? I recall hub dynamos which didn't rely on friction
drive.

Unfortunately they didn't put out enough power, especially at low speed.
You could see the lamps flicker as they turned :-)
Bottom-bracket mounted dynamos are pretty good as they don't scrub like
the sidewall-driven ones can, but they can be prone to slipping and/or
rapid wear because the back tyre dumps loads of crap on them. You can
get toothed-belt drive dynamos that are driven by a pulley attached to
the side of the hub. A properly set up high-quality sidewall-driven
dynamo can still work pretty well anyway.

Posted on another group:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

cheers,
Pete.

Just a tad expensive though!

:::Jerry::::

"Alan" wrote in message
In message

ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" wrote

My point is that if it is deemed unsafe to have a rear light

below
certain wattage on a car why wasn't the _same_ legislation

applied
bicycle lights?

How many cycles do you know (outside of road racing) that can do
50mph, let alone 70 (or more) mph?

A bicycle travelling at 5 mph and a car following at 55mph gives a
closing speed of 50mph.

Yes but the car has at least 150 Watts worth of headlights....