chris French

Default A Non-friction bicycle lights generator (dynamo)

In message ews.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

"chris French" wrote in message
In message

news.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes

wrote in message
oups.com...
In this new generation bicycle light system, no battery is

needed,
no
friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash

regardless
speed
snip

So it totally illegal to use on the highway then...

As long as the lights put out at least 4 candela it's legal

Wrong.

Sorry, but you are the one who is wrong, though it is a recent change
in the law so I'll let you off....

Try reading the relevant law relating to this, (RVLR regs 18 £
24),

May I suggest you do the same.

I refer you to 'The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 2005'

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm

Which came into force 21/10/05.

rather than what the ignoranus fascist cyclists try and suggest.

This cyclist isn't ignorant or fascist, but he does know what the law is
regarding cycle lighting. If you are going to throw out stupid insults
it pays to be sure of your ground first.

Flashing lights may be used,

Actually it was illegal to fit flashing lights to cycles under the
previous regulations (though legal for the cyclist to wear them).

but they *MUST NOT* be used on their
own, a normal *constant* output light source must be used as well.

The above Amendment to the RVLR now makes flashing lights BY THEMSELVES
legal on cycles. At the moment the only requirements are that the
flashing lights have brightness of at least 4 candela and flash evenly
between 1 and 4 times second. This is probably an interim measure, and
presumably BS6102/3 will be amended in do course (there are oddities,
like if the light has steady mode it must meet the more stringent
requirements of BS6102/3)

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071

Seems to give a good summary of the current law re cycle lighting
regulations

whether or not the light in question that started this thread meets the
requirements I've no idea, I can imagine it may well not.
--
Chris French