Timothy Murphy

Default Banging in pipes

We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes,
with a bang every 2-3 seconds.
I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost closed.
and that has almost eliminated the throbbing,
though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Is this a familiar phenomenon?

I suspect that after years of too low pressure
(we had to install an electric pump
to get the water up to the tank in the attic)
the local authority have gone to the opposite extreme.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Dark Angel

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message...
We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes,
with a bang every 2-3 seconds.
I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost closed.
and that has almost eliminated the throbbing,
though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Did you used to write scripts for the Carry-On films?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:08:24 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes,
with a bang every 2-3 seconds.
I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost closed.
and that has almost eliminated the throbbing,
though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Is this a familiar phenomenon?

I suspect that after years of too low pressure
(we had to install an electric pump
to get the water up to the tank in the attic)
the local authority have gone to the opposite extreme.

Why not remove (or at least turn off)the pump?

Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Murphy
We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes,
with a bang every 2-3 seconds.
I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost closed.
and that has almost eliminated the throbbing,
though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Is this a familiar phenomenon?

I suspect that after years of too low pressure
(we had to install an electric pump
to get the water up to the tank in the attic)
the local authority have gone to the opposite extreme.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Water hammers can be caused by a number of different circumstances...

youd have to explain what causes the noise....expect its a ball valve or tap washer..coupled with ill fitted pipework
Timothy Murphy

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:08:24 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes,
with a bang every 2-3 seconds.
I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost
closed. and that has almost eliminated the throbbing,
though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Is this a familiar phenomenon?

I suspect that after years of too low pressure
(we had to install an electric pump
to get the water up to the tank in the attic)
the local authority have gone to the opposite extreme.

Why not remove (or at least turn off)the pump?

I didn't express myself properly.
The pump has long been removed -
we used to have to use it when the pressure was too low.
Now the pressure is - apparently - too high;
or at least the pressure seems to vary with a period of a few seconds,
as is apparent from the kitchen tap attached directly to the mains.

Timothy Murphy wrote:
We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes,
with a bang every 2-3 seconds.
I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost closed.
and that has almost eliminated the throbbing,
though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Is this a familiar phenomenon?

I suspect that after years of too low pressure
(we had to install an electric pump
to get the water up to the tank in the attic)
the local authority have gone to the opposite extreme.

Do a google or search on this newsgroup with 'water hammer'. Plenty of
answers there.

Insulation foam on copper pipes R8EDXXX Home Repair 12 June 13th 05 10:56 PM
banging pipes in2minds UK diy 5 April 15th 05 02:16 PM
Banging noise from water pipes petek UK diy 8 February 22nd 05 09:14 PM
Banging Water Pipes? Joe Home Repair 6 November 21st 04 05:10 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM