Ed Sirett

Default Banging in pipes

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:08:24 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes,
with a bang every 2-3 seconds.
I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost closed.
and that has almost eliminated the throbbing,
though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Is this a familiar phenomenon?

I suspect that after years of too low pressure
(we had to install an electric pump
to get the water up to the tank in the attic)
the local authority have gone to the opposite extreme.

Why not remove (or at least turn off)the pump?