in2minds

Default banging pipes

ok, our water supply comes via the neighbour, as in the supply from the
mains enters his premises (15mm copper pipe) and feeds his house then
follows on through the party wall into our house.
for a while now the pipes have been banging every time either of us turn
on and off the hot or cold taps
I'm almost positive this started after he did some plumbing work and the
only reasons I can think of are 1. an air lock and 2. pressure is too
high... is that all ?

any suggestions on how we can stop the banging ?

thanks
LJ

Sparks

I'm almost positive this started after he did some plumbing work and the
only reasons I can think of are 1. an air lock and 2. pressure is too
high... is that all ?

It could be a section of loose pipe, not clipped to a joist or whatever,
then when the water is suddenly stopped the pipe wobbles, and bangs into
somthing?

any suggestions on how we can stop the banging ?

Make sure the pipes are secured properly?

Sparks...

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"in2minds" writes:
ok, our water supply comes via the neighbour, as in the supply from the
mains enters his premises (15mm copper pipe) and feeds his house then
follows on through the party wall into our house.
for a while now the pipes have been banging every time either of us turn
on and off the hot or cold taps
I'm almost positive this started after he did some plumbing work and the
only reasons I can think of are 1. an air lock and 2. pressure is too
high... is that all ?

3. loose pipe somewhere which bangs into something when
the water suddenly stops flowing in it.

any suggestions on how we can stop the banging ?

Operate all the water outlets to ensure there isn't one which you
haven't used since which still has a column of air trapped behind it.
This in conjunction with any water appliance which measures water
flow (such as a combi or multipoint boiler) can make a noise.

Try to identify where the noise is coming from. Might be worth one
of you feeling the pipework whilst the other turns a tap on and off.
A starting point would be where he did the plumbing. Check for
pipework flapping around due to lack of supports.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ash

"in2minds" wrote in message
ok, our water supply comes via the neighbour, as in the supply from the
mains enters his premises (15mm copper pipe) and feeds his house then
follows on through the party wall into our house.
for a while now the pipes have been banging every time either of us turn
on and off the hot or cold taps
I'm almost positive this started after he did some plumbing work and the
only reasons I can think of are 1. an air lock and 2. pressure is too
high... is that all ?

any suggestions on how we can stop the banging ?

thanks
LJ

I had this problem after having a bathroom refitted. Sorted it by turning
the stopcock down a bit so reducing the pressure. worth a try.

Ash

nog

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:04:11 +0100, Ash wrote:

"in2minds" wrote in message
ok, our water supply comes via the neighbour, as in the supply from the
mains enters his premises (15mm copper pipe) and feeds his house then
follows on through the party wall into our house.
for a while now the pipes have been banging every time either of us turn
on and off the hot or cold taps
I'm almost positive this started after he did some plumbing work and the
only reasons I can think of are 1. an air lock and 2. pressure is too
high... is that all ?

any suggestions on how we can stop the banging ?

thanks
LJ

I had this problem after having a bathroom refitted. Sorted it by turning
the stopcock down a bit so reducing the pressure. worth a try.

How's that work then?

Dave

"nog" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:04:11 +0100, Ash wrote:

I had this problem after having a bathroom refitted. Sorted it by turning
the stopcock down a bit so reducing the pressure. worth a try.

How's that work then?

Doesn't reduce the pressure, just delays it building up slightly - the
sudden build up of pressure is what can cause pipes to bang.

Dave

Banging noise from water pipes petek UK diy 8 February 22nd 05 09:14 PM
Noisy pipes JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 12:06 AM
Replacing old pipes pmr Home Repair 9 December 9th 04 10:24 PM
Banging Water Pipes? Joe Home Repair 6 November 21st 04 05:10 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM