TonyK

Default Builders restricted by Part-P?

Are general builders being restricted by Part-P?

I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of
whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is
removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few
lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my employer.

Surely nuts and bolts stuff like this isn't covered by Part-P?

Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:26:36 -0000, "TonyK" wrote:

| Are general builders being restricted by Part-P?
|
| I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of
| whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is
| removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few
| lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my employer.

What has your employer to do with DIY work at home?
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
TonyK

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:26:36 -0000, "TonyK" wrote:

| Are general builders being restricted by Part-P?
|
| I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of
| whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is
| removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few
| lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my

employer.

What has your employer to do with DIY work at home?
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk

To save confusion change the last sentence to read "All things I would
normally do myself."

John

"TonyK" wrote in message
Are general builders being restricted by Part-P?

I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of
whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is
removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few
lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my employer.

Surely nuts and bolts stuff like this isn't covered by Part-P?

All together now - "Oh yes it is"

Welcome to Orwellian Britain

TonyK

"John" wrote in message

"TonyK" wrote in message
Are general builders being restricted by Part-P?

I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of
whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is
removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few
lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my

employer.

Surely nuts and bolts stuff like this isn't covered by Part-P?

All together now - "Oh yes it is"

Welcome to Orwellian Britain

Just scooted about and the offical website says:

A: You do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control
Department about:
a.. repairs, replacements and maintenance work; or
b.. extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing
circuits (except in a kitchen or bathroom, or outdoors).
A list of the work includes:

1) Removing kitchen style extractor fan and terminating the associated spur.
2) Move existing double outlet (surface mounted cable and outlet)
3) Adapt existing single light to provide two separate lights independantly
switched.
4) As above elsewhere.
5) Add 3.3Kw storage heater to existing circuit.
6) Add 2 x 850w storage heater to existing circuit.
7) Add 2 x double outlets to existing circuit.

All of this is in sleeping accommodation not kitchens etc *I* interpret this
as being covered by the second point, i.e. extra power points or lighting
points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in a kitchen or
bathroom, or outdoors).

What do you all think?

John Rumm

TonyK wrote:

All of this is in sleeping accommodation not kitchens etc *I* interpret this
as being covered by the second point, i.e. extra power points or lighting
points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in a kitchen or
bathroom, or outdoors).

I would have thought that is ok...

What do you all think?

Of course it could all have been done before April in which case no
worries ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Lurch

On or around Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:26:36 -0000, "TonyK"
mused:

Are general builders being restricted by Part-P?

I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of
whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is
removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few
lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my employer.

Surely nuts and bolts stuff like this isn't covered by Part-P?

Possibly not, but a lot of builders sub all electrics out anyway as
they can't be trusted to wire a plug and it is also safer\easier to
just sub the lot out rather than try and get a builder to have to
understand part P and electrics and pick and choose jobs here and
there.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

Help finding old router part Jon Woodworking 14 March 18th 06 11:40 PM
Part P Proto-FAQ [email protected] UK diy 0 April 28th 05 02:04 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM