Default Life of ch pumps?

As a result of this thread http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

Richard Conway

wrote:
As a result of this thread
http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

Did you install it in the correct orientation? Most pumps require the
shaft to be horizontal.

wrote:
As a result of this thread
http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

I fitted a Myson dual speed with a variable mechanical vane in 1983. It
is still rotating as I type. It is in a solid fuel system where the
pump is usually on for 24 hours a day.

Chris.

Pilgarlick

wrote in message
ups.com...
As a result of this thread http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

I'm on my second pump in 30 years, with the second pump giving no sign of
impending failure. Having said that the system works on gravity for hot
water (no need for pump to run for this purpose) and we do not use the
central heating system extensively.

Do you have a "clean" system? I would think that the system contaminants
would have a considerable effect upon the life of the pump impellor
bearings. My system was installed with a corrosion inhibitor immediately
after flushing during initial commissioning i.e. it has never run with no
corrosion inhibitor. If no inhibitor is present it will only take a few days
for a considerable amount of corrosion products to be generated and these
will affect the subsequent life of the pump.

Against my advice, my brother installed a mild steel radiator on the circuit
of a non-closed system, it lasted about 6 weeks before it was holed, thus is
the rate of rusting in an un-protected system.

My daughter does have a fully pumped system, which has a pump of unknown
vintage installed, but it has lasted at least four years, with expectations
of further service to come.

In answer to your question, the life of your pump does seem rather short. It
may be that you are just unlucky, or that there is an explanation along the
lines I have suggested to explain it's lack of longevity. On the other hand
it may have been an electrical problem, which do occur unpredictably from
time to time.

Hope this gives you some food for thought

Regards

Pilgarlick

Dave Fawthrop

On 8 Nov 2005 05:48:31 -0800, wrote:

| As a result of this thread
http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
| replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
| allow pump overrun) 25/55.
|
| We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
| Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
| 18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
| that.
|
| This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

Mine lasted 25 years.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk

mike ring

Richard Conway wrote in
:

Did you install it in the correct orientation? Most pumps require the
shaft to be horizontal.

I know that's true; but I just took out a Grundfos that's still working
perfectly after 10 years in the wrong orientation, there was nowt wrong
with it, I just wanted a "smart" one. Gawg knows why, the old dumb one was
smarter than me.

Anyhow, I;m keeping it as a spare

mike
Andy Cap

On 8 Nov 2005 05:48:31 -0800, wrote:

As a result of this thread
http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

I changed mine twice, both times sticking with the original horizontal
shaft before twisting the latest one so the shaft now rises at 45
degrees. I've had no further problems.

Andy

Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by
As a result of this thread http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?
the life expectency of a new pump is around 5 years...obviously some folks get +10 years......the old commodor pumps amazingly seem to want to outlive myself...im 35 ..old pump quality is vastly better than the new....in Scotland Grunfoss is recognised as the best type of pump....England with its Hard Water areas i believe are having problems with grunfoss ????Its probable that youve just been unlucky.....
Harry Bloomfield

pretended :
As a result of this thread
http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

Initial pump failed, or rather became noisy after six months. Second
one has run for 18 years in intermitant use 24/7/365.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

chris French

In message , gastec
writes

the life expectency of a new pump is around 5 years...obviously some
folks get +10 years......the old commodor pumps amazingly seem to want
to outlive myself...im 35 ..old pump quality is vastly better than the
new....in Scotland Grunfoss is recognised as the best type of
pump....England with its Hard Water areas i believe are having problems
with grunfoss ????Its probable that youve just been unlucky.....

Seeing as the water in a CH system is basically the same water
circulating round (allowing for the odd bit of topping up) I can't see
the hardness of the water should be any sort of issue

BTW, you '.' key seems to be sticking.

--
Chris French

Richard Conway

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
intermitant use 24/7/365.

eh?
Chris Bacon

Richard Conway wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
intermitant use 24/7/365.

eh?

He means "intermittent use". The number gubbins isn't relevant.

wrote:

As a result of this thread
http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

What went wrong with it? Mechanical or Electrical? I've seen a pretty new
Grundfos selectric which spun OK mechanically (if you turned it by hand)
but was electrically dead. Maybe they had[1] some QC problems?

[1] hope the past tense is correct :-)

That sounds like it might be the problem. I think Grundfos are going
to take it back for inspection.