Default Life of ch pumps?

wrote:

As a result of this thread
http://tinyurl.com/8um67 we eventually
replaced the pump with a Grundfos (and wired in a permanent live to
allow pump overrun) 25/55.

We bought it last spring and it was finally fitted around October.
Now, barely a year after being installed, it has failed. Grundfos give
18months warranty from date of manufacture and ours is now outside
that.

This doesnt seem a reasonable life for a pump to me - any advice?

What went wrong with it? Mechanical or Electrical? I've seen a pretty new
Grundfos selectric which spun OK mechanically (if you turned it by hand)
but was electrically dead. Maybe they had[1] some QC problems?

[1] hope the past tense is correct :-)