Default Shelves on crumbling walls

Hi,

I tried to put some shelves up in my rented room only to find the brick
crumble under the drill I ended up with 5 fairly big holes, the wall
just seems to crumble under the drill bit. Is there any hope of putting
up shelves on this wall or would it just not take the weight?

TIA
Rich

Andrew Mawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I tried to put some shelves up in my rented room only to find the

brick
crumble under the drill I ended up with 5 fairly big holes, the wall
just seems to crumble under the drill bit. Is there any hope of

putting
up shelves on this wall or would it just not take the weight?

TIA
Rich

Hope your landlord doesn't dock your deposit too much !

AWEM (the Landlord!)

Brian Reay

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I tried to put some shelves up in my rented room only to find the brick
crumble under the drill I ended up with 5 fairly big holes, the wall
just seems to crumble under the drill bit. Is there any hope of putting
up shelves on this wall or would it just not take the weight?

Is the dust a sort of fine grey powder? Sounds like they aren't "brick" but
one of the light weight blocks.

Try fixing some wall plugs ("Rawel Plugs" etc) into the holes with some
building adhesive. Make sure it sets before screwing the shelves into it.
Blow out dust, squirt in adhesive, push in plugs (should be tight fit),
screws, leave to set, then remove screws, add brackets with longer screws.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Chris Bacon

Andrew Mawson wrote:
usenet wrote in message...
I tried to put some shelves up in my rented room only to find the
brick crumble under the drill I ended up with 5 fairly big holes,
the walljust seems to crumble under the drill bit. Is there any
hope of putting up shelves on this wall or would it just not take
the weight?

Hope your landlord doesn't dock your deposit too much !
AWEM (the Landlord!)

Load up, load up, load up with rubber bullets
Load up, load up, load up with rubber bullets

I love to hear those convicts squeal
It's a shame these slugs ain't real
But we can't have dancin' at the local county jail

(is this (for real"?)).

well it is fairly light and grey, with little bits of grit in it. Its
an old victorian house in portsmouth if that helps?

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Brian Reay wrote:
[snip]

Blow out dust, squirt in adhesive, push in plugs (should be tight fit).

Will that work for the missus?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

nightjar

wrote in message
ups.com...
well it is fairly light and grey, with little bits of grit in it. Its
an old victorian house in portsmouth if that helps?

Are you sure it is a brick wall you are trying to drill into? It sounds more
as though you are drilling into a lath and plaster wall. The only way to fix
shelves to one of those is to find the wooden uprights (studs) that are
holding the wall up and fix the shelves to those.

Gentle tapping on the wall should produce a more solid sound when you find a
stud, but, because the laths were nailed to the studs, a pipe and cable
finder will often do the job better and quicker. You can get things that
call themselves stud finders, but they are usually confused by the thickness
of plaster on lath and plaster walls.

Colin Bignell

Well tbh I don't have a clue about what walls are made of so was only
guessing. My landlord recently had the whole house replastered. So are
you saying under the plaster there are just slats of wood? How can I
really tell for sure?

Thanks
Rich

Peter Taylor

wrote in message
ups.com...
well it is fairly light and grey, with little bits of grit in it. Its
an old victorian house in portsmouth if that helps?

It sounds like you might be drilling into a soft clinker brick. They used
to build these into brick walls in strategic places to give the carpenters
something to nail into - they're fine for nailing but they don't drill well
because they are very soft and very coarse in texture.

You might be unlucky and find they used these bricks for the whole wall, but
they're usually laid spaced apart in a particular horizontal brick course
for fixing picture rails or dado rails etc. You might well find harder
bricks if you try drilling about 9" above or below your previous holes.

Peter

Peter Taylor

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
well it is fairly light and grey, with little bits of grit in it. Its
an old victorian house in portsmouth if that helps?

It sounds like you might be drilling into a soft clinker brick. They used
to build these into brick walls in strategic places to give the carpenters
something to nail into - they're fine for nailing but they don't drill
well because they are very soft and very coarse in texture.

You might be unlucky and find they used these bricks for the whole wall,
but they're usually laid spaced apart in a particular horizontal brick
course for fixing picture rails or dado rails etc. You might well find
harder bricks if you try drilling about 9" above or below your previous
holes.

Peter

I meant to add that if you can't find anything decent to drill into then I'd
suggest using the old-fashioned method of timber plugs in the brick joints.

hi thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't really know anyone who
can help me. I have ended up drilling one of the holes further to try
and see what the wall is made of; the drill got about 7cm in (can't be
plaster and lath can it?). The top layer which is about 2.5cm thick
consists is slightly yellowy greyish with grit and I think I saw hair
in it(?). After that the wall seems to be more greyish but is still
just coming away with my hand as dust.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what I can do? or should I just use
lots of filler and forget it?

Thx Rich