Junior Member

Question Papered Ceilings

We have papered our ceiling for the second time now and we still have the problem with the joins opening. We tried by filling the gap with filler, rubbing down and then painting but 24 hours after the joins start opening again. Can someone please tell me what we are doing wrong?.

Thanks in advanced

Yanie
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Papered Ceilings

Yanie wrote:
We have papered our ceiling for the second time now and we still have
the problem with the joins opening. We tried by filling the gap with
filler, rubbing down and then painting but 24 hours after the joins
start opening again. Can someone please tell me what we are doing
wrong?.

Thanks in advanced

Yanie

Firstly putting filler along the seams will not help.
Secondly are you applying enough paste to the edges?
Thirdly have you tried papering the oposite way to what you normally do?
i.e across rather than lenghtways.
If this don't work use diluted PVA to bond the edges.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3rd Earl Of Derby
Yanie wrote:
We have papered our ceiling for the second time now and we still have
the problem with the joins opening. We tried by filling the gap with
filler, rubbing down and then painting but 24 hours after the joins
start opening again. Can someone please tell me what we are doing
wrong?.

Thanks in advanced

Yanie

Firstly putting filler along the seams will not help.
Secondly are you applying enough paste to the edges?
Thirdly have you tried papering the oposite way to what you normally do?
i.e across rather than lenghtways.
If this don't work use diluted PVA to bond the edges.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Thanks Sir Benjamin I'll give a try.Finger's crossed
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
If (these suggestions) don't work use diluted PVA to bond the edges.

You swine! What about the next person who needs to strip
the paper! Grrr...
fred

In article , Yanie Yanie.1xsfkj@diybanter.
com writes

We have papered our ceiling for the second time now and we still have
the
problem with the joins opening. We tried by filling the gap with

filler, rubbing down
and then painting but 24 hours after the joins

start opening again. Can someone
please tell me what we are doing

wrong?.

Nobody's mentioned this one so here goes:

You can have this problem if you _over_ soak the paper, ie leave the paste
on it too long before applying the paper to wall/ceiling. The moisture from
the paste soaks into the paper and causes it to expand, this is normal and
the reverse of this is what causes the paper to go tight when it dries out,
but leaving it on too long gives over expansion and over contraction when
drying out, leaving gaps.

I use only top quality paper and paste only one sheet at a time, leaving it 2
or 3 mins before applying.

HTH
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Séan Connolly

You swine! What about the next person who needs to strip
the paper! Grrr...

Especially as wallpaper on ceilings is the work of satan and should be
outlawed !

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Séan Connolly wrote:
You swine! What about the next person who needs to strip
the paper! Grrr...

Especially as wallpaper on ceilings is the work of satan and should be
outlawed !

Not if the house owner cant afford to have the ceiling replastered or a
case of distemper on the ceiling or even covering up cracks. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite