Gary Tait

Default Painting stippled ceilings

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:40:39 -0400, "Wally"
wrote:

I live in a 15 year old house that has unpainted stippled ceilings. They're
old and stained. I was just going to paint them, until a friend told me that
it's not a good idea. He claimed that the paint makes the stipple so heavy
it just falls off the ceiling, resullting in a ceiling that looks like hell
and will need to be redone entirely.

As a result, now I have 4 questions:

1) Is it correct? Will paint make the stipple fall off?

Don't think so. It will suck paint though.

2) If so, is there any way to get a stippled ceiling cleaned or painted at
all?

I have heard of companies specializing in cleaning such ceilings

3) If it can't be cleaned, how difficult is it to get of the stipple
entirely and be done with it?
4) Are there tools that make the job easier if I need to get rid of the
stipple?

Thanks in advance.
Wally

I have used Zinsser alcohol shalac primer on stiple and got very good
results.
No water to get in the stiple and a great water barrier for follow up
latex.
Do Be Cautious with the vapors. Bone dry in 45 minutes so forget
reusing the roller.
Louis