Default Corrugated asbestos

I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof.

Does this pose any health risk? If so, how to find a suitably qualified
company to safely remove it?

Peter Stockdale

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof.

Does this pose any health risk? If so, how to find a suitably qualified
company to safely remove it?

Asbestos in this roofing form could only pose a health risk if mauled about
with.
If it is still sound and performing its intended function, there should be
no need to remove it,
unless you want rid of the garage that is.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Chris Bacon

abracad_1999 wrote:
I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof.

I had one of those - lots of people have them. The thing is,
it's probably "corrugated asbestos cement", and....

Does this pose any health risk?

A very, very, very tiny one.

If so, how to find a suitably qualified company to safely remove it?

My gosh! They'll be beating a path to your door!! You can DIY
it, and save hundreds of pounds, if not thousands, depending
on who would have done the job. So: Try a Google on this group.
Find out about the cost of hiring a van for 1/2 a day, if you
haven't an estate or trailer. Telephone your tidy tip, or
council, to find out where you can dispose of it (yes, you can).
Buy a pair of bolt cutters (18") to split the nuts on the bolts
holding the sheets on. Remove the sheets, dump them, and
replace the roof with a nice pitched one (Google again).
Joe Lee

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
abracad_1999 wrote:
I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof.

I had one of those - lots of people have them. The thing is,
it's probably "corrugated asbestos cement", and....

Does this pose any health risk?

A very, very, very tiny one.

If so, how to find a suitably qualified company to safely remove it?

My gosh! They'll be beating a path to your door!! You can DIY
it, and save hundreds of pounds, if not thousands, depending
on who would have done the job. So: Try a Google on this group.
Find out about the cost of hiring a van for 1/2 a day, if you
haven't an estate or trailer. Telephone your tidy tip, or
council, to find out where you can dispose of it (yes, you can).
Buy a pair of bolt cutters (18") to split the nuts on the bolts
holding the sheets on. Remove the sheets, dump them, and
replace the roof with a nice pitched one (Google again).

Unfortunately you overlooked the single most important piece of advice, i.e.
Do NOT break up the sheets.

Joe Lee

mogga

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:25:39 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

abracad_1999 wrote:
I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof.

I had one of those - lots of people have them. The thing is,
it's probably "corrugated asbestos cement", and....

Does this pose any health risk?

A very, very, very tiny one.

If so, how to find a suitably qualified company to safely remove it?

My gosh! They'll be beating a path to your door!! You can DIY
it, and save hundreds of pounds, if not thousands, depending
on who would have done the job. So: Try a Google on this group.
Find out about the cost of hiring a van for 1/2 a day, if you
haven't an estate or trailer. Telephone your tidy tip, or
council, to find out where you can dispose of it (yes, you can).
Buy a pair of bolt cutters (18") to split the nuts on the bolts
holding the sheets on. Remove the sheets, dump them, and
replace the roof with a nice pitched one (Google again).

Taking it to the tip will be tricky as most stop vans going in and
will only allow cars under a height barrier. You're supposed to
transport it double wrapped in a separate compartment from the drivers
section. You can pay some geezers to officially remove it and they'll
just throw it in the back of their transit van no worries.
--
Promotional codes, discounts, money off
http://www.promotionalcode.co.uk/

Tournifreak

Paul wrote:
All this talk of thousands of pounds when I enquired it was going to
cost £400 for the whole garage.

I agree. I just had the entire roof of my house removed and replaced
with slate. Old roof was concrete-asbestos - stamped on the bottom of
each tile!
Cost £240 for special small skip from Stowmarket Skip Hire, Suffolk.
My builders did the removal. I had budgeted a lot more, so celebrations
in our hause last week!

Jon.