Default Can you buy 9 inch long nails?

I need some long 'spikes' and am currently using some 9 inch "Tent
Pegs" from a camping shop...

But obviously they are quite expensive, as they are sold as "Tent
Pegs".

Can you buy 9" long nails? If so, what sort of place would be able to
supply them?

Jon

Nice suggestion, but I need them to be 'shiny' and 'nice looking'...

I have been to a bunch of places at lunchtime and been told the same
thing. 6" is the longest.

I guess I will have to get more from the Camping shop and pay a little
extra than they are worth.. They are not too expensive, so its not a
hugh problem, but I would like to find a nice cheap source!

Chris Bacon

jon.p.weave wrote:
Nice suggestion, but I need them to be 'shiny' and 'nice looking'...

Use stainless round bar, then.

SimonJ

Nice suggestion, but I need them to be 'shiny' and 'nice looking'...

Use stainless round bar, then.

Probably more expensive than tent pegs!

Dark Angel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0008E0DHS

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

I just knew it

Everyone I have asked about "9 Inch Nails" bursts into song

Jon

Terry

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

wrote in message...
Can you buy 9" long nails? If so, what sort of place would be able to
supply them?

Pieces of concrete rebar?
Short sections of electrical conduit?

Basically, I am a kite flyer and need some really strong 'pegs' to hold
the kite down..

I have tried a bunch of things but more are hard to see in the ground..
The best is a long spike with an orange golfball on the end.. The
'offical' version of these cost about £4, but they have a really low
quality golf ball and a thin 'spike'.

So, I have made my own and they are MUCH better than the 'official'
ones.. So, now I just need to make 1/2 dozen or so, so that I have a
couple for each kite and a few spares.

Sourcing Orange balls was hard enough, but the spikes are proving to be
even harder.

Jon

Chris Bacon

jon.p.weaver wrote:
Basically, I am a kite flyer and need some really strong 'pegs' to hold
the kite down..

I have tried a bunch of things but more are hard to see in the ground..
The best is a long spike with an orange golfball on the end.. The
'offical' version of these cost about £4, but they have a really low
quality golf ball and a thin 'spike'.

So, I have made my own and they are MUCH better than the 'official'
ones.. So, now I just need to make 1/2 dozen or so, so that I have a
couple for each kite and a few spares.

Sourcing Orange balls was hard enough

Can't you just paint your balls whatever colour you like? You used
to be able to buy day-glo orange spray paint, if you put that on
them, they'll stick out a mile.

, but the spikes are proving to be even harder.

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?
Richard Conway

Chris Bacon wrote:
jon.p.weaver wrote:

Basically, I am a kite flyer and need some really strong 'pegs' to hold
the kite down..

I have tried a bunch of things but more are hard to see in the ground..
The best is a long spike with an orange golfball on the end.. The
'offical' version of these cost about £4, but they have a really low
quality golf ball and a thin 'spike'.

So, I have made my own and they are MUCH better than the 'official'
ones.. So, now I just need to make 1/2 dozen or so, so that I have a
couple for each kite and a few spares.

Sourcing Orange balls was hard enough

Can't you just paint your balls whatever colour you like? You used
to be able to buy day-glo orange spray paint, if you put that on
them, they'll stick out a mile.

, but the spikes are proving to be even harder.

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?

I think you'd better take that to alt.binaries.s&m
oli4uk

Hi,

Are you not able to take something from the construction industry;

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blockedg.htm
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=29477

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe an avenue to
investigate.

HTHs - Oliver

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
jon.p.weaver wrote:
Basically, I am a kite flyer and need some really strong 'pegs' to
hold the kite down..

I have tried a bunch of things but more are hard to see in the
ground.. The best is a long spike with an orange golfball on the
end.. The 'offical' version of these cost about £4, but they have a
really low quality golf ball and a thin 'spike'.

So, I have made my own and they are MUCH better than the 'official'
ones.. So, now I just need to make 1/2 dozen or so, so that I have a
couple for each kite and a few spares.

Sourcing Orange balls was hard enough

Can't you just paint your balls whatever colour you like? You used
to be able to buy day-glo orange spray paint, if you put that on
them, they'll stick out a mile.

, but the spikes are proving to be even harder.

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?

Jesus!

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?

Jesus!

No, I think it was just his hands (wrists) and feet, but I may be wrong.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
raden

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
jon.p.weaver wrote:
Basically, I am a kite flyer and need some really strong 'pegs' to hold
the kite down..
I have tried a bunch of things but more are hard to see in the
ground..
The best is a long spike with an orange golfball on the end.. The
'offical' version of these cost about £4, but they have a really low
quality golf ball and a thin 'spike'.
So, I have made my own and they are MUCH better than the 'official'
ones.. So, now I just need to make 1/2 dozen or so, so that I have a
couple for each kite and a few spares.
Sourcing Orange balls was hard enough

Can't you just paint your balls whatever colour you like? You used
to be able to buy day-glo orange spray paint, if you put that on
them, they'll stick out a mile.

, but the spikes are proving to be even harder.

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?

Sounds like a cue for dirty sanchez or jackass

--
geoff

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?

Just drill a hole through them and whack the spike through it. It works
really well and when I compared the results to the one that I bought
(where the spike was screwed into it), mine are MUCH better (Strength,
quality, thickness)

Jon

Nick Atty

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:09:43 +0100, Ian Clowes
wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:

Can't you just paint your balls whatever colour you like? You used
to be able to buy day-glo orange spray paint, if you put that on
them, they'll stick out a mile.

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?

Spanner?

Very good indeed!
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Andy Dingley wrote:
Otherwise go to a steel stockist and
buy yourself a cheap angle grinder.

Jon's got so many tools i'm suprised he hasn't bought a forge to make
his own.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

A 9" spike will hold a kite no problems.. On Sand, no.. But on Grass,
fine.

The spikes I have been using so far are about 7" long and even when
they are only 4" inch, they hold fine.

When you look at 'official' Kite Spikes, they are only 7-9" long and
they are sold for just this job.

9" would hold my 7m no problems..

I was going to get a Cork-Screw type for the beach.. But I saw one of
them get ripped out the other day, so decided to stick with my curved
"sand spikes"..

Jon

PS. Nope.. Never worked with anyone of that name.. Cheers

Peter Taylor

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need some long 'spikes' and am currently using some 9 inch "Tent
Pegs" from a camping shop...

But obviously they are quite expensive, as they are sold as "Tent
Pegs".

Can you buy 9" long nails? If so, what sort of place would be able to
supply them?

Jon

Meat skewers any good?

Suz

I need some long 'spikes' and am currently using some 9 inch "Tent
Pegs" from a camping shop...

But obviously they are quite expensive, as they are sold as "Tent
Pegs".

Can you buy 9" long nails? If so, what sort of place would be able to
supply them?

Are these cheaper? What price are you paying?
http://tinyurl.com/9qtfz
Suzanne

jon.p.weaver wrote:
I need some long 'spikes' and am currently using some 9 inch "Tent
Pegs" from a camping shop...

But obviously they are quite expensive, as they are sold as "Tent
Pegs".

Can you buy 9" long nails?

This'll keep your kite down

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4585001194