CM

Default Clap activated relay switch

Hi

I've got a few lamps as presents that I'm keen to use, but for various
reasons find that switching the things on is pretty awkward.

What I'm looking for is some sort of device which can sit between the
power supply and the lights, and that will activate them if I clap. It
sounds like a pretty simple device, but I haven't been able to find
such a thing - does it exist? Has anyone ever come across them, and if
so are they actually any good?

TIA
Peter Stockdale

"CM" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a few lamps as presents that I'm keen to use, but for various
reasons find that switching the things on is pretty awkward.

What I'm looking for is some sort of device which can sit between the
power supply and the lights, and that will activate them if I clap. It
sounds like a pretty simple device, but I haven't been able to find
such a thing - does it exist? Has anyone ever come across them, and if
so are they actually any good?

TIA

What about plug in remote control thingies - about a fiver per lamp from the
sheds.
A reliable clap operated device would be expensive to perfect.
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

John Rumm

CM wrote:

Hi

I've got a few lamps as presents that I'm keen to use, but for various
reasons find that switching the things on is pretty awkward.

What I'm looking for is some sort of device which can sit between the
power supply and the lights, and that will activate them if I clap. It
sounds like a pretty simple device, but I haven't been able to find
such a thing - does it exist? Has anyone ever come across them, and if
so are they actually any good?

You could make one...

These ones are nice (and not dissimilar) - requiring a double hand clap
to toggle the output:

http://www.electronicsforu.com/EFYLi...3/ci4-clap.pdf
http://home.maine.rr.com/randylinscott/dec97.htm

A bit less sophisticated but simpler to build:

http://www.redcircuits.com/Page88.htm

not as good since it is non latching:

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circui...ng/soundsw.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Try local maplin (or www.maplin.co.uk)

order code: RS75S

raden

In message , CM
writes
Hi

I've got a few lamps as presents that I'm keen to use, but for various
reasons find that switching the things on is pretty awkward.

What I'm looking for is some sort of device which can sit between the
power supply and the lights, and that will activate them if I clap. It
sounds like a pretty simple device, but I haven't been able to find
such a thing - does it exist? Has anyone ever come across them, and if
so are they actually any good?

I made one some years ago for a stage comedian who wanted to fire a gun
and have the microphone stand fall over

Really not difficult to do

--
geoff

Andrew Sinclair

In message , raden
writes
I made one some years ago for a stage comedian who wanted to fire a gun
and have the microphone stand fall over

MFI microphone stand?
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org
CM

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:40:39 +0100, CM
wrote:

Hi

I've got a few lamps as presents that I'm keen to use, but for various
reasons find that switching the things on is pretty awkward.

What I'm looking for is some sort of device which can sit between the
power supply and the lights, and that will activate them if I clap. It
sounds like a pretty simple device, but I haven't been able to find
such a thing - does it exist? Has anyone ever come across them, and if
so are they actually any good?

TIA

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I'm not sure I've got the
electronics knowhow to actually build the thing - is there a completed
product marketed anywhere? Am I perhaps asking in the wrong newsgroup?
John Rumm

CM wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I'm not sure I've got the
electronics knowhow to actually build the thing - is there a completed
product marketed anywhere? Am I perhaps asking in the wrong newsgroup?

The maplin link you were pointed at above (maplin order code RS75S) in
in fact a kit made by velleman. You can see it on their web site also:

http://www.velleman.be/common/produc...an=1&id=348017

Note that as it stands the relay on this kit is not up to switching
mains - you would need to use it to switch a secondary "bigger" relay
for that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
CM wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I'm not sure I've got the
electronics knowhow to actually build the thing - is there a completed
product marketed anywhere? Am I perhaps asking in the wrong newsgroup?

Maplin RS75 at 14.99. Relay output may be pulse or toggle. One or two clap
selection. It's a kit, but pretty simple to build.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave

CM wrote:
Hi

I've got a few lamps as presents that I'm keen to use, but for various
reasons find that switching the things on is pretty awkward.

What I'm looking for is some sort of device which can sit between the
power supply and the lights, and that will activate them if I clap. It
sounds like a pretty simple device, but I haven't been able to find
such a thing - does it exist? Has anyone ever come across them, and if
so are they actually any good?

TIA

Sorry. I have just got to ask ;-)

How does the relay switch know that you have the clap?

I'll get me coat.

Dave