Rick

Default OT Buying excavators from eBay

I have seen a bobcat advertised on eBay, they want 3K USD for it,
including shiping. Its worth neerer 20K GBP.

As with all deals that are too good to be true, I am wondering what
the con is. one or two leap to mind

1) stolen - check serial numbers

2) non delivery - leave funds in escrow

any other obvious ones ?

Rick

Rick wrote:
I have seen a bobcat advertised on eBay, they want 3K USD for it,
including shiping. Its worth neerer 20K GBP.

As with all deals that are too good to be true, I am wondering what
the con is. one or two leap to mind

1) stolen - check serial numbers

2) non delivery - leave funds in escrow

any other obvious ones ?

There have been a number of mini-tractors and similar things in scams
using stolen accounts on Ebay recently. I mailed Ebay about one of
them a couple of weeks ago.

The things that immediately sets alarm bells ringing a-

Silly price.

Seller asks you to E-Mail them before bidding and then tells you
what the fixed price is, there's no actual auction on Ebay.

The payment goes to a (fake) escrow service which E-Mails you, if
you investigate where the E-Mail comes from it's *not* a proper,
safe, place.

--
Chris Green

Lobster

Rick wrote:
I have seen a bobcat advertised on eBay, they want 3K USD for it,
including shiping. Its worth neerer 20K GBP.

As with all deals that are too good to be true, I am wondering what
the con is. one or two leap to mind

1) stolen - check serial numbers

2) non delivery - leave funds in escrow

any other obvious ones ?

x-posted to uk.people.consumers.ebay: they are wise to every scam there
is. Would be helpful to provide the listing number for scrutiny of the
listing, but I guess you don't want to publicise it just in case it
*isn't* too good to be true!

david

Rick wrote:
I have seen a bobcat advertised on eBay, they want 3K USD for it,
including shiping. Its worth neerer 20K GBP.

As with all deals that are too good to be true, I am wondering what
the con is. one or two leap to mind

1) stolen - check serial numbers

2) non delivery - leave funds in escrow

any other obvious ones ?

Rick

Theres also the more mundane fact that it may be utterly and totally
knackered.

NT

Rick

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:47:35 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Rick wrote:
I have seen a bobcat advertised on eBay, they want 3K USD for it,
including shiping. Its worth neerer 20K GBP.

As with all deals that are too good to be true, I am wondering what
the con is. one or two leap to mind

1) stolen - check serial numbers

2) non delivery - leave funds in escrow

any other obvious ones ?

x-posted to uk.people.consumers.ebay: they are wise to every scam there
is. Would be helpful to provide the listing number for scrutiny of the
listing, but I guess you don't want to publicise it just in case it
*isn't* too good to be true!

david

It was indeed a scam, it was a very bad scam, not even vaguley
convincing.

Rick

OT Mostly: Ebay sign in problem-Mozilla Bob Miller Metalworking 5 July 9th 05 11:40 AM
Considering buying a Stump Grinder [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 29th 05 11:04 PM
GFCI still tripping fredinstl Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 06:56 PM
EBay hack Don Foreman Metalworking 59 March 23rd 05 02:32 AM
Would appreciate some first time home buying advice..re home inspection and negotiation Stephen Huckaby Home Repair 33 February 13th 05 01:28 PM