Default Roof tile identification ?

Hi all

last night, had a leak from the roof to the kitchen ... I went into the
loft and found the cuplrit - a cracked roof tile. All I could see from
the underside was "Stonewold" ... does this help anyone out there ID,
or is it not that simple ? Our bungalow was built in the 1960's if that
helps ....

SOrry it's not much to go on, but it was in a pig of a place too ....

Thanks in advance

Tony Bryer

In article .com,
wrote:
last night, had a leak from the roof to the kitchen ... I went into the
loft and found the cuplrit - a cracked roof tile. All I could see from
the underside was "Stonewold" ... does this help anyone out there ID,
or is it not that simple ? Our bungalow was built in the 1960's if that
helps ....

Redland Stonewold. Google will give you a list of sources

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

I had to rip the felt off to see where the water was coming from ...
I've already been told I shouldn't have done it, but it was an
executive decision, done in a cramped loft, in the nearly pitch black,
with the mrs screaming blue murder as the water cascaded into the
kitchen ...

As an aside, is it a bit job to replace the felt (about 1m x 1m) ?

thanks in advance

Set Square

Rob Morley wrote:

If you can see the tiles from inside the loft, it sounds as if you've
got a problem with the felt - which is potentially more serious than
the odd cracked tile.

No felt under my tiles, and no problems with the roof :-)

Built in the 60's with no felt - I'm amazed!

Do your tiles look anything like http://tinyurl.com/bhhuj ?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Rob Morley wrote:

No felt under my tiles, and no problems with the roof :-)

Built in the 60's with no felt - I'm amazed!

Built in about 1932 - is modern rain different from the old-fashioned
stuff?

I fear that I confused you with the OP - whose house *was* built in the 60's
(and who has subsequently confirmed that his house does - or *did*! - have
felt.

I was brought up in a house which was built in the 30's - and that had no
felt, but there was some sort of rendering under the slates to seal the gaps
and keep the wet out. We never got water as such in the roofspace - but we
did get snow!

Do your tiles look anything like http://tinyurl.com/bhhuj ?

Session expired
As you have been inactive for over 40 minutes you have been logged out
of the site.

Sorry - try
http://www.redland.co.uk/cgi-bin/roo... kmdfhkdfhh.0
and hope that it wraps ok!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Set Square wrote:

Do your tiles look anything like http://tinyurl.com/bhhuj ?

Session expired
As you have been inactive for over 40 minutes you have been logged
out of the site.

Sorry - try

http://www.redland.co.uk/cgi-bin/roo... kmdfhkdfhh.0
and hope that it wraps ok!

I give up - that doesn't work either!

Go to www.redland.co.uk then click on Great Britain, then on Product Finder
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Peter Taylor

"Set Square" wrote in message

I had to rip the felt off to see where the water was coming from ...
I've already been told I shouldn't have done it, but it was an
executive decision, done in a cramped loft, in the nearly pitch black,
with the mrs screaming blue murder as the water cascaded into the
kitchen ...

As an aside, is it a big job to replace the felt (about 1m x 1m) ?

If the water was cascading into the kitchen before you ripped the felt then
it wasn't doing its job anyway, so you didn't make things any worse, if
that's any consolation.

Big enough! You'll neeed to remove the tiles and battens from an area
bigger
than the hole - and then fit the new felt in such a way that it overlaps
in
the right direction - in other words, the higher bits have to be over the
top of the lower bits, never tucked under them (to keep the rain *outside*
the roof-space, not channel it in! Then you have to refit the battens and
tiles. As someone else has said, it sounds like a scaffolding job -
whereas
you could probably have replaced one tile using just a ladder.

Erm...
The top edge of the new felt must be slid *underneath* the bottom edge of
the felt higher up the slope. The bottom edge has to be laid on top of the
felt lower down the slope. In other words, just like the tiles themselves,
otherwise water running down the felt will go between the layers. Maybe it
was you who felted this roof the first time SetSquare? )

Peter

Set Square

Rob Morley wrote:

Go to www.redland.co.uk then click on Great Britain, then on Product
Finder

And look for what?

Stonewold - well that's what the OP said his tiles were called, so *he* will
know that.

Actually, what's there in the (not very well behaved) drop-down list is
Stonewold II - so I don't whether that's the right one or not.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Peter Taylor wrote:

[...]

Please read what I *wrote* - not what you think I *might* have written, but
didn't! Pay particular attention to "higher bits" and "lower bits".
Hopefully will then realise that I'm not the prat you take me for!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Peter Taylor

"Set Square" wrote in message
Peter Taylor wrote:

[...]

OK, this is just a misunderstanding over what we mean by the word "bit".
This could be due to where each of us lives, so don't let's fall out over
it. I now see you meant a strip or a layer of felt, and if that's true then
you were correct. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

To me, a "bit" means a part or a section of something larger, like the
straight bit on a road or the quiet bit in a piece of music or "I've made
you a bit angry". To me, "higher bit" meant the higher edge of the felt. I
read your words over carefully, twice, and it honestly seemed to me you were
saying that the higher edge of the new felt has to go above the lower edge
of the old felt higher up.

Hopefully will then realise that I'm not the prat you take me for!

Now you're the one misunderstanding. I never thought or implied that. Let's
lighten up a bit.

Peter

Set Square

Peter Taylor wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message

Please read what I *wrote* - not what you think I *might* have
written, but
didn't! Pay particular attention to "higher bits" and "lower bits".

OK, this is just a misunderstanding over what we mean by the word
"bit". This could be due to where each of us lives, so don't let's
fall out over it. I now see you meant a strip or a layer of felt,
and if that's true then you were correct. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

Apology accepted! In turn, I apologise if I over-reacted to your previous
response.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Tile Roof Art Home Repair 4 May 23rd 18 10:25 AM
Round clay tile roof leaks, needs repair dadiOH Home Repair 5 November 30th 04 12:29 PM
paint/stain concrete roof tile Diane Home Repair 2 May 13th 04 05:30 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM