Art

Default Tile Roof

I have a condo in FL with a "clay" tile roof. Roof/condo is approx. 15
years old. Looks very nice!

During the late Spring of this year, noticed roof leaks (onto ceiling below)
along an adjoining wall. Inspection of roofing material (from the attic
area) under the tile revealed several areas had been leaking apparently for
some time since a section of the plywood was rotted allowing the water to
seep (quickly under heavy rain conditions) through.

Section of tile in and around the leak were removed and revealed the plywood
was in fact rotted and apparently the roofing "paper" above the plywood was
either originally installed improperly or had failed over the years.
Plywood was replaced, covered with polyglass "SAV-V" ice & water guard,
seams sealed with roofing cement and tiles replaced. Flashing along
adjacent wall was in good condition. To date repair seems to be working OK.

Therein lies my question. Roofer who did repairs indicated tile roofs are
not totally effective against water infiltration especially in FL's heavy
wind driven rains - and in fact the roofing paper under the tiles is suppose
to act as a water seal. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Is
the roofer on point with his explanation? Your input is appreciated.

Incidentally we did suffer some spot tile damage during the three 2004
hurricanes but the tiles were replaced well before the leaks into the
interior were observed. Other areas of plywood away from the indicated leak
look dry and fine.

Thanks in advance.

Art

I have a concrete tile roof. We had to have the roof repaired where
the "valley" was. Anyway, I was told that the tile itself is not very
effective at keeping water out...it's what is underneath that is
important. It's a black looking tarpaper (?) or waterproof material.
I think that is what the roofer was telling you.

dadiOH

Art wrote:

Therein lies my question. Roofer who did repairs indicated tile
roofs are not totally effective against water infiltration
especially in FL's heavy wind driven rains - and in fact the roofing
paper under the tiles is suppose to act as a water seal. Has anyone
else experienced a similar problem? Is the roofer on point with his
explanation?

Yes, more or less.

Tile on a roof is a pretty-pretty, not a leak preventer. Best applied
(IMO) by setting in mortar over a heavy 90# mineral embedded felt that
has been applied over the sheathing and dry in felt by setting it in
hot, mopped on tar. IOW, no nails.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

dadiOH wrote:
Art wrote:

Therein lies my question. Roofer who did repairs indicated tile
roofs are not totally effective against water infiltration
especially in FL's heavy wind driven rains - and in fact the roofing
paper under the tiles is suppose to act as a water seal. Has anyone
else experienced a similar problem? Is the roofer on point with his
explanation?

Yes, more or less.

Tile on a roof is a pretty-pretty, not a leak preventer. Best applied
(IMO) by setting in mortar over a heavy 90# mineral embedded felt
that has been applied over the sheathing and dry in felt by setting
it in hot, mopped on tar. IOW, no nails.

Here's a link to the install instructions provided by one
manufacturer...
http://www.ludowici.com/tiles/image/...20.Spanish.pdf

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Doctors One Of The Best Tile Repair Services In Adelaide

Tiled roofs problems are causes of cracked and broken tiles. A leading name in the chipped tile repair kit australia, Roof Doctors is everything that you are looking for. With services that are cheap and reasonable, they are quick to respond. So repair your roof tiles with high quality services and also with professional and qualified tradesmen.
Contact Us : https://goo.gl/o6csTr

Tile to Glass roof [email protected] UK diy 5 August 17th 05 09:01 PM
Round clay tile roof leaks, needs repair dadiOH Home Repair 5 November 30th 04 12:29 PM
paint/stain concrete roof tile Diane Home Repair 2 May 13th 04 05:30 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM