Blair

Default 2 ini power sockets- Query

My wife found an adapter which plugged into a 13 amp socket and had 4 power
outlets , one of which was 2 pin the others being 3 pin.
She asked me why would they provide the 2 pin when all products had 3 pin. I
could only think of a shaver point But this would not apply in this case.
I am sure there are devices which use 2 pin sockets but cannot remember what
they are.
Can anyone help!
Blair

Lobster

Blair wrote:
My wife found an adapter which plugged into a 13 amp socket and had 4 power
outlets , one of which was 2 pin the others being 3 pin.
She asked me why would they provide the 2 pin when all products had 3 pin. I
could only think of a shaver point But this would not apply in this case.
I am sure there are devices which use 2 pin sockets but cannot remember what
they are.

Rechargeable toothbrushes is about all I can think of.
More plausibly - appliances purchased in continental Europe which could
be plugged in without changing the plug

David
Peter Stockdale

"Lobster" wrote in message

Rechargeable toothbrushes is about all I can think of.
More plausibly - appliances purchased in continental Europe which could be
plugged in without changing the plug

David

The 12v charger for the battery on my Champion ride on mower is a two pin
jobby.
I have to use a shaver adapter 3p/2p to connect it to my sockets.
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Blair wrote:
My wife found an adapter which plugged into a 13 amp socket and had 4
power outlets , one of which was 2 pin the others being 3 pin. She asked
me why would they provide the 2 pin when all products had 3 pin. I could
only think of a shaver point But this would not apply in this case. I am
sure there are devices which use 2 pin sockets but cannot remember what
they are. Can anyone help!

13 amp sockets were introduced just after WW2 (IIRC) and before that
sockets were generally 5 and 15 amp in both two and three pin designs. So
adaptors to 5 amp - both two and three pin types - were available. Indeed,
a standard 13 amp to 'razor' adaptor will accept the old 5 amp two pin
plug.

But on this product I'd expect the two pin outlet to be fused at no more
than 5 amps. Ordinary 13 amp adaptors would be fused at 13 amps.

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
tarquinlinbin

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:43:05 +0100, "Blair"
wrote:

My wife found an adapter which plugged into a 13 amp socket and had 4 power
outlets , one of which was 2 pin the others being 3 pin.
She asked me why would they provide the 2 pin when all products had 3 pin. I
could only think of a shaver point But this would not apply in this case.
I am sure there are devices which use 2 pin sockets but cannot remember what
they are.
Can anyone help!
Blair

Mosquito plug !. Global warming is on its way !!

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/

Rusty

"Blair" wrote in message
My wife found an adapter which plugged into a 13 amp socket and had 4
power
outlets , one of which was 2 pin the others being 3 pin.
She asked me why would they provide the 2 pin when all products had 3 pin.
could only think of a shaver point But this would not apply in this case.
I am sure there are devices which use 2 pin sockets but cannot remember
what
they are.

It could be a mutation which has survived from the 1970's when all sorts of
round/square 2p/3p combinations were on sale. Otherwise my Braun electric
toothbrush has a 2 pin plug. Tandy stuff always used 2 pin plugs, probably
explains why they went under.

rusty

Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 288 June 29th 05 11:10 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
help with power sockets in the kitchen Rich UK diy 5 July 23rd 03 10:48 AM
Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM