Bill

Default Fitting coving onto painted plasterboard

hi

I want to fit coving but the plasterboarded walls and ceiling are
painted in matt emulsion paint.

I'm concerned if I use plaster coving, it may just be too heavy.

Anyone have any advice?

bill

Brian Sharrock

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi

I want to fit coving but the plasterboarded walls and ceiling are
painted in matt emulsion paint.

I'm concerned if I use plaster coving, it may just be too heavy.

Anyone have any advice?

IMHO, you shouldn't have a problem ... btw plaster-coving
buttered with the appropriate goo is very heavy.
A step in fitting coving to a wall/ceiling joint is to scribe a line
around the wall and ceiling ... scratch criss-cross lines within these
spaces to give the goo something to bite into ... it probably doesn't
make any difference ... but I felt 'good' about doing it.
You will remember to drive a series of nails into the wall - at the scribed
line - to support the coving while the goo goes off, won't you?
[I would recommend purchasing a 'Magic Mitre' jig - as shown on QVC-
for this job] My kitchen required eleven mitre joints and a couple of
scarf joints ... the jig earned its keep!

--

Brian

Bill

thanks Brian for the advice.

My concern is whether the weight of the plaster coving might cause the
emulsion based paint to which it is glued to, to simply peel away from
the plasterboard due to the weight of the coving.

I'm wondering if the lighter paper wrapped polystyrene coving is any
good.

I couldn't find the Magic Mitre on QVC.com but I did find a UK website
selling it. £40 seems a lot to pay for it.

bill

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Bill wrote:
thanks Brian for the advice.

My concern is whether the weight of the plaster coving might cause the
emulsion based paint to which it is glued to, to simply peel away from
the plasterboard due to the weight of the coving.

This is why he said draw a line around the wall and ceiling using a piece
of the coving and then scratch/gouge lines in the ceiling/wall so that the
adhesive will grip.

Polystyrene are sh*te coving what you pay for that stuff is ludicrus.

I'm wondering if the lighter paper wrapped polystyrene coving is any
good.

I couldn't find the Magic Mitre on QVC.com but I did find a UK website
selling it. £40 seems a lot to pay for it.

A normal mitre saw will suffice justthink about what your doing before
cutting.
Or...

bill

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John Rumm

Bill wrote:

I'm concerned if I use plaster coving, it may just be too heavy.

It is not *that* heavy - it is also supporte4d along the full length
which spreads the load. I have fitted coving to painted surfaces in the
past without any problems.

(I have also seen it fixed straight onto a wallpapered surface - it
stayed put there as well).

I find the tubes of ready mixed adhesive easier to use than the mix it
yourself stuff. A bit more expensive if you have loads to do, but
quicker and simpler to apply and it has more instant "grab".

--
Cheers,

John.

I've used both plaster and PVA glue to hold the coving in place. I then
use 25-30mm. panel pins spaced at one foot intervals about 10mm. from
the bottom of the coving. When it has all set just use a pin punch to
put the nail head just below the surface of the coving. The a finger
tip of plaster to cover that hole.

Chris.

Bill

Thank you all for your advice.

bill

Kevin

Recently discovered that Dry-Wall adhesive is also excellent for
fitting coving. My local Builders merchant charge 4.41 for 25Kg
DryWall adhesive and 3.05 for 5Kg Coving adhesive. I also discovered
that it gripped sufficiently well that I didn't need to support the
coving with pins while the adhesive set.