Tim Smith

Default plasterboard type coving

Hi there

I am about to embark on installing some of this coving. A plasterer told me
that it is quite possible to use skim plaster as the "glue". Has anyone
tried this ?

Also, in anticipation of my mitre joints not being perfect - what is best to
use to fill them ? Again, could skim be used ?

Thanks

Tim

Norman Billingham

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi there

I am about to embark on installing some of this coving. A plasterer told

me
that it is quite possible to use skim plaster as the "glue". Has anyone
tried this ?

Also, in anticipation of my mitre joints not being perfect - what is best

use to fill them ? Again, could skim be used ?

You can use skim plaster but it tends to go off too quickly and makes
everything a bit nerve racking. The proper adhesive is cheap and you use it
to fill the gaps in the mitres as well as any gaps along the wall due to
curves.

TheScullster

A tip I was given by Gyproc guy - use a thin paint brush to wet any bare
ends of the coving before filling. This stops all the moisture being drawn
out of the adhesive and premature cracking of joint.

Phil

Biggles

Tim Smith wrote:
Hi there

I am about to embark on installing some of this coving. A plasterer told me
that it is quite possible to use skim plaster as the "glue". Has anyone
tried this ?

Also, in anticipation of my mitre joints not being perfect - what is best to
use to fill them ? Again, could skim be used ?

Thanks

Tim

A professional Artexer/Cover told me he used Artex to glue and fill
coving. Have used it ever since and it is brilliant. Don't bother with
coving glue (the stuff which is like plaster) - it's expensive and
doesn't sand easily. Skim plaster? - it's very similar in texture to
coving glue - I don't think it's as easy as Artex to sand.

Biggles
Tim Smith

Hi Biggles,

Ive never used Artex. Does it come in powder form to mix up or is it ready
mixed (or even both !)

Thanks

Tim

"Biggles" wrote in message
Tim Smith wrote:
Hi there

I am about to embark on installing some of this coving. A plasterer told
me that it is quite possible to use skim plaster as the "glue". Has
anyone tried this ?

Also, in anticipation of my mitre joints not being perfect - what is best
to use to fill them ? Again, could skim be used ?

Thanks

Tim

A professional Artexer/Cover told me he used Artex to glue and fill
coving. Have used it ever since and it is brilliant. Don't bother with
coving glue (the stuff which is like plaster) - it's expensive and doesn't
sand easily. Skim plaster? - it's very similar in texture to coving glue -
I don't think it's as easy as Artex to sand.

Biggles

Tim Smith

Just following on then is there anything special I need to do before
painting ?

The insutrctions mention "Artex Coving Primer" which sounds expensive and
unescessary to me.

Can I use emulsion straight on ? or should I use gloss and a primer ? Whats
the usual technique.

Tim

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Tim Smith
writes
Hi Biggles,

Ive never used Artex. Does it come in powder form to mix up or is it ready
mixed (or even both !)

I imagine both, but we've only ever used the dry stuff, it keeps for ages,
seemingly indefinitely.

Used it sticking up coving, it works fine, as does drywall adhesive (my
plasterers preferred thing) My FIL likes to use It as a filler, don't
like it so much for that, though it stays workable a lot longer than
pollyfilla etc.
--
Chris French

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Tim Smith" writes:
Just following on then is there anything special I need to do before
painting ?

The insutrctions mention "Artex Coving Primer" which sounds expensive and
unescessary to me.

Can I use emulsion straight on ? or should I use gloss and a primer ? Whats
the usual technique.

I use thinned matt emulsion as the primer (assuming emulsion finish
is required). Something around 10% water added should be fine.

--
Andrew Gabriel