Banana Boy

Default Boiler Gas Valve Coil

I have a Glow-worm Hideaway 80B boiler circa 1971. It has just stopped
working, and the missus is getting cold.

The symptons a
Pilot lit OK / Pilot thermcouple works OK;
Both HW and CH controls calling for heat.
Main burner won't light;
240V from thermostat is present at gas valve coil plug.
Remove coil - it is open ciruit.

Based on above, I assume the main gas valve is not working because the
coil is duff. Is this logical? Cost of new gas valve approx. =A3110 +
fitting (I assume is a Corgi job: fitting would be dead easy, but
correct pressures would need setting. Cost of broken coil? - I would
guess about =A32. So question is, does any one know of any supplier who
supplies coils suitable for gas valves? Alternatively, is there any
reason why fitting a generic 240V coil of approximate same size would
not do the trick, and save me a couple of hundred quid at same time?

I'm sure coil failure is reasonably common on these valves, and it
seems ridiculous if the entire valve needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for comments.

tarquinlinbin

On 5 Oct 2005 12:33:41 -0700, "Banana Boy"
wrote:

I have a Glow-worm Hideaway 80B boiler circa 1971. It has just stopped
working, and the missus is getting cold.

The symptons a
Pilot lit OK / Pilot thermcouple works OK;
Both HW and CH controls calling for heat.
Main burner won't light;
240V from thermostat is present at gas valve coil plug.
Remove coil - it is open ciruit.

Based on above, I assume the main gas valve is not working because the
coil is duff. Is this logical? Cost of new gas valve approx. £110 +
fitting (I assume is a Corgi job: fitting would be dead easy, but
correct pressures would need setting. Cost of broken coil? - I would
guess about £2. So question is, does any one know of any supplier who
supplies coils suitable for gas valves? Alternatively, is there any
reason why fitting a generic 240V coil of approximate same size would
not do the trick, and save me a couple of hundred quid at same time?

I'm sure coil failure is reasonably common on these valves, and it
seems ridiculous if the entire valve needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for comments.

If it is one of the common honeywell type valves then the valve
operaor unit is available as a separate item. Have a look at the
valve,it'll have a model number stamped/imprinted on it.

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/