James

Default problem with newly wired lights

Hi,

I am no electrician but I thought I had a average understanding of circuits
until now!

When I moved into my house I had two outside lights, on the same circuit,
controlled by two switches, that turned both lights on or off. I got an
electrician to add another outside light, the supply was taken from one of
the existing lights.

Now I decided to add a fourth light myself. I took the supply from the same
light as the electrician did for the other, and now three of the four lights
don't work.

The garage light is the only one that works now.

My understanding of the evolvment of my outside lights can be seen here.
Sorry about the bad diagrams and web site, I did it in 2 minutes.

http://www.geocities.com/thunder_tan...idelights.html

The back door light had some terminal thing in it, with two black neutral
wires, two earths and one red live. When I opened this up, there was an
orange wire loose, it could have come out when I opened it, not knowing what
it was I did not reconnect it. The red live and one black neutral go to the
electrician fitted light.
It may seem obvious that the orange wire is the main's live wire and that is
why the 3 lights don't work. However I am confused by the fact that it is
orange and am not sure if I should connect it.

If this is likely to be the problem I would appreciate some reassurance, or
any other information I could use to fix the problem.

Thanks,

James

Mark

Hello James,

I assume the two blacks are together and the two earths are together and the
red wire at the moment doesn't connect to anything and a loose orange wire.
I believe the orange will be part of the two way switching circuit.

Isolate the circuit and connect it to the red and switch on. The worse that
can happen is a tripped mcb.

Sparks

The back door light had some terminal thing in it, with two black neutral
wires, two earths and one red live. When I opened this up, there was an
orange wire loose, it could have come out when I opened it, not knowing
what it was I did not reconnect it. The red live and one black neutral go
to the electrician fitted light.
It may seem obvious that the orange wire is the main's live wire and that
is why the 3 lights don't work. However I am confused by the fact that it
is orange and am not sure if I should connect it.

If this is likely to be the problem I would appreciate some reassurance,
or any other information I could use to fix the problem.

From your description, it sounds like the orange wire has come loose (is the
terminal block where it looks like it was from loose, or does it contain a
small piece of wire that has broken off the orange wire?

The reason it is orange - maybe it is that particular manufacturers version
of red!

Can you take any pictures, or trace where this orange wire goes?

Sparks...

Ben Blaukopf

James wrote:
[...]

a) I *think* this work falls under Part P. If you don't know what that
is, just google.

b) Did you connect the orange wire to a spare terminal, or did you just
leave it loose? If the latter, you've got a potentially live wire waving
around in the breeze. Which is a Bad Thing.

c) Sounds like you have two twin core+earth cables connecting to
backdoor light, yet your diagram shows three connections. So I'm
guessing that the TC+E with orange connects to either the garage switch
or the back door switch, and then there's another cable running between
the two switches forming a 2-way setup.

You need to find out exactly how your circuit is setup and understand
how it works. A voltmeter can help you here [1] You can't rely on
guesses from this newsgroup (though they might help you understand what
you've got) because there's no guarantee that whoever put the original
wiring in did it in a standard way.

You might want to get someone competent to take a look at what you're
doing, as there are other things you can get wrong here. For example, if
those three outside lights are halogen lights with a 500W bulb in each,
and they're powered off a standard 5A circuit (which is what it looks
like from your diagram), then you're overloading the circuit.

Ben

James

The outside lights take normal bulbs, two are low energy 15watt, one
household 100 watt and one household 40 watt.

There is a cable connecting both switches. My diagram probably is not clear
enough, but before I put the 'my light' in, there were two sets of TC+E
going into the back door light. One comes from the garage door switch, the
other comes from the light the electician installed (new light).

(From the back door light)Without doubt, one black ,earth and red cable go
to the new light ( I guess the electrician had some old cable as I would
have expected brown/blue from new cable). The other black, orange and earth
must be the cable that goes to the garage switch I would have thought. After
fitting my light, there are now 2 blacks/1 blue and 3 earth connected to
their correct terminals.. One red from the 'new light' and one brown from
'my light'. The brown cable is 100% for 'my light' because I just fitted it.
The orange cable at present is loose (i.e. not connected to the terminal).

It makes sense that the orange cable is the live from the garage switch,
that could be one reason why the 3 lights do not work, as there is no supply
reaching them.

At the next opportunity I will look at the garage switch and see if there is
an orange wire, then I will connect the orange wire to the live in the back
door light. If I get problems, I will take photos.

Thanks for your help.

James

"Ben Blaukopf" wrote in message
James wrote:
[...]

tarquinlinbin

On 5 Oct 2005 13:59:03 -0500, "James"
wrote:

[...]

A common error that a lot of diy electricians make is to assume that
all reds are lives,all blacks are neutrals and all greens are earths.
Also that all reds go together,all blacks go together and all greens
go together.

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
Matt

tarquinlinbin wrote:

A common error that a lot of diy electricians make is to assume that
all reds are lives,all blacks are neutrals and all greens are earths.
Also that all reds go together,all blacks go together and all greens
go together.

Yes, thanks to the assholes in Brussels who deemed that grey plastics
manufacturers in France and Germany were being unfairly discriminated
by the red and yellow UK based manufacturers you now sometimes connect
all reds to browns, all blacks to blues while connecting blues to
greys and yellows to blacks, but due to intense lobbying by the tutti
frutti Eire alliance you usually connect all candy striped ones to
greens.

Mark

A common error that a lot of diy electricians make is to assume that
all reds are lives,all blacks are neutrals and all greens are earths.
Also that all reds go together,all blacks go together and all greens
go together.

I think the real problem is that many competent electricians and diy
enthusiasts fail to sleeve the cables correctly to indicate to others the
possibility of them being live. A bit of red tape round a core goes along
way particularly in lighting circuits involving multiple switching.

tarquinlinbin wrote:
"James" wrote:

I am no electrician but I thought I had a average understanding of circuits
until now!

A common error that a lot of diy electricians make is to assume that
all reds are lives,all blacks are neutrals and all greens are earths.
Also that all reds go together,all blacks go together and all greens go
together.

LOL !

Nice summary.

Paul.

James

I fixed it, the problem was that the orange wire was a live wire and once
connected, all the lights work.

Thanks,

James

wrote in message
oups.com...

Icemaker problem Andy Home Repair 12 April 16th 05 03:05 PM
SONY 35" Dual PIP -Video Blackout Problem papo Electronics Repair 20 February 28th 05 09:46 PM
Problem with Malibu lights Sennin Home Repair 6 February 23rd 05 03:14 AM
Dimming Lights in Barn (underground wire) Charles Home Repair 3 January 16th 04 05:04 PM
problem seamus Electronics Repair 1 July 25th 03 02:50 AM