tarquinlinbin

On 5 Oct 2005 13:59:03 -0500, "James"
wrote:

Hi,

I am no electrician but I thought I had a average understanding of circuits
until now!

When I moved into my house I had two outside lights, on the same circuit,
controlled by two switches, that turned both lights on or off. I got an
electrician to add another outside light, the supply was taken from one of
the existing lights.

Now I decided to add a fourth light myself. I took the supply from the same
light as the electrician did for the other, and now three of the four lights
don't work.

The garage light is the only one that works now.

My understanding of the evolvment of my outside lights can be seen here.
Sorry about the bad diagrams and web site, I did it in 2 minutes.

http://www.geocities.com/thunder_tan...idelights.html

The back door light had some terminal thing in it, with two black neutral
wires, two earths and one red live. When I opened this up, there was an
orange wire loose, it could have come out when I opened it, not knowing what
it was I did not reconnect it. The red live and one black neutral go to the
electrician fitted light.
It may seem obvious that the orange wire is the main's live wire and that is
why the 3 lights don't work. However I am confused by the fact that it is
orange and am not sure if I should connect it.

If this is likely to be the problem I would appreciate some reassurance, or
any other information I could use to fix the problem.

Thanks,

James

A common error that a lot of diy electricians make is to assume that
all reds are lives,all blacks are neutrals and all greens are earths.
Also that all reds go together,all blacks go together and all greens
go together.

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/