Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Default Plumbing in ice maker on fridge/freezer

SWMBO has decided that she wants a side/by side American style fridge
freezer.

The type she has her eye on requires connection to the cold water supply for
the ice maker/water dispenser. Because of the layout of our kitchen the
nearest cold water pipes are in the toilet which is on the other side of the
wall which the fridge will be located against.

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold water
feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall and connect to
the fridge/freezer?

vortex2

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote in
message ...
SWMBO has decided that she wants a side/by side American style fridge
freezer.

The type she has her eye on requires connection to the cold water supply
for the ice maker/water dispenser. Because of the layout of our kitchen
the nearest cold water pipes are in the toilet which is on the other side
of the wall which the fridge will be located against.

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold
water feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall and
connect to the fridge/freezer?

We purchased a Samsung "side by side" a couple of years ago.

Remember they hardly use any water and the feed pipe is IIRC about 6mm
diameter...and pretty long.. You could probably attach it to skirting with
cable clips.

Remember the water supply must be rising main. If your loo is running from
the header tank then you will have to think again!

BTW having "real time" ice on demand is fantastic.

David

vortex2 wrote:
We purchased a Samsung "side by side" a couple of years ago.

Remember they hardly use any water and the feed pipe is IIRC about 6mm
diameter...and pretty long.. You could probably attach it to
skirting with cable clips.

Remember the water supply must be rising main. If your loo is
running from the header tank then you will have to think again!

BTW having "real time" ice on demand is fantastic.

Why must it be rising main? Are cold supply on sinks fed from the main or
can they too be from a header tank?

Darren

Christian McArdle

Why must it be rising main?

Because tanked water has been sitting in your loft for a week with a dead
pigeon floating in it, which makes poor quality ice cubes.

Are cold supply on sinks fed from the main or
can they too be from a header tank?

There must be at least one mains cold supply in the kitchen. Usually any
cold tap in the kitchen is mains, but sometimes it is just a small
"drinking" tap.

Christian.

Derek ^

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:46:19 +0100, "Darren Griffin -
PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote:

SWMBO has decided that she wants a side/by side American style fridge
freezer.

In our family it was myself who wanted one, the following is JME.

Be aware that American sized ones will dwarf your kitchen units. I've
got a European sized (IE made smaller to suite a standard European
Kitchen) Maytag s/s fridge/freezer and it still seems to be big in the
same sense an American car is big. Big on the outside. The doors are
chunky and deep (2 1/2" metal + 6" of plastic) but but take up space
in the actual cooling /freezing cavities, as a result the freezer
won't take some ready meal packages for instance. The icemaker and
water dispenser also take up what would otherwise be useful space in
the freezer.

The type she has her eye on requires connection to the cold water supply for
the ice maker/water dispenser. Because of the layout of our kitchen the
nearest cold water pipes are in the toilet which is on the other side of the
wall which the fridge will be located against.

Another bit of a surprise we got is that our model at least doesn't
attempt to chill the water it dispenses. It's at room temperature.
It's easy to dump ice cubes into it though, but not quite the same
thing. One last negative point, the plastic pipes taint the water. I
think they get bugs growing on the inside surfaces of the plastic
pipes and should really be flushed through from time to time with some
kind of sterilising agent like a pub uses to clean it's lines. "Kojak"
style water coolers in offices also have to be regularly sanitized.

Nothing in the instructions about it. Not yet solved that problem.

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold water
feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall and connect to
the fridge/freezer?

It's 1-2 hours labour and £5-10 of materials. Plumbers charges vary
widely, some might make a minimum charge, say half a day.

DG

Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 18:55:53 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

| Why must it be rising main?
|
| Because tanked water has been sitting in your loft for a week with a dead
| pigeon floating in it, which makes poor quality ice cubes.
|
| Are cold supply on sinks fed from the main or
| can they too be from a header tank?
|
| There must be at least one mains cold supply in the kitchen. Usually any
| cold tap in the kitchen is mains, but sometimes it is just a small
| "drinking" tap.

But it is a good idea to take all drinking water direct from the mains.
Header tanks can get very grotty inside, traditionally they contained dead
rats and pigeon droppings. The modern ones with a lid are much better than
the old open topped ones we used to have, but the glass fibre insulation in
my loft gets everywhere.

BTW Hot water from a combi boiler is not stored and so can be used for
drinking.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
John Rumm

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:

SWMBO has decided that she wants a side/by side American style fridge
freezer.

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold water
feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall and connect to
the fridge/freezer?

No there is a concept I had not explored.... charging SWMBO for doing
all those little jobs round the house ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Mr Fuxit

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold water
feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall and connect to
the fridge/freezer?

As it's your wife, I'm astonished that you're even considering charging
her for this work!

Bob Eager

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:51:58 UTC, "Mr Fuxit"
wrote:

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold water
feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall and connect to
the fridge/freezer?

As it's your wife, I'm astonished that you're even considering charging
her for this work!

Depends what she charges *him* for....!

Matt

John Rumm wrote:

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:

SWMBO has decided that she wants a side/by side American style fridge
freezer.

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold water
feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall and connect to
the fridge/freezer?

No there is a concept I had not explored.... charging SWMBO for doing
all those little jobs round the house ;-)

Surely, like most of the species you are already in a binding trading
agreement involving occasional favours for work done?

:-)

raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:

SWMBO has decided that she wants a side/by side American style fridge
freezer.

My question is what would be a reasonable charge to tap into the cold
water feed to the toilet and run a pipe apprx 6ft, through the wall
and connect to the fridge/freezer?

No there is a concept I had not explored.... charging SWMBO for doing
all those little jobs round the house ;-)

Ooh - dangerous ground there

She'll be wanting a red light next

--
geoff
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

As it's your wife, I'm astonished that you're even considering charging
her for this work!

Depends what she charges *him* for....!

We all pay one way or the other. Some are just more expensive than others.
:-)

--
AJL

Christian McArdle wrote:
Because tanked water has been sitting in your loft for a week with a
dead pigeon floating in it, which makes poor quality ice cubes.

Are cold supply on sinks fed from the main or
can they too be from a header tank?

There must be at least one mains cold supply in the kitchen. Usually
any cold tap in the kitchen is mains, but sometimes it is just a small
"drinking" tap.

Thanks, it's a recent build house (18months old) so I'm assuming all cold
taps are fed from the rising main.

Having said that, I'm not so sure one with a water/ice dispenser is the way
to go now!

Christian McArdle

Thanks, it's a recent build house (18months old) so I'm assuming all cold
taps are fed from the rising main.

Don't assume. Check.

Christian.