Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Getting rid of Mice

Hi,

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Rajinder

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
Hi,

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get
him out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Rajinder

Meeow!

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:52:40 GMT, "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
wrote:

| Hi,
|
| We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
| out of the house.
|
| We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

You will have a family at least, even if you can only sees one.

Poison is IMO the only way :-( There are numerous baits, some just have
a tray and bait, but if you have children or pets around the enclosed box
ones supplied/made by B&Q or Rentokil are better.

Go round the house and block up ***all*** holes which a mouse can get
through. That is anything you can push a *pencil* through. They will
gnaw through filler, and wood, so put steel wool, or steel wool pan
scrubbers in the hole and cover it with filler.

Starve them out, put all food in mouse proof boxes, remember the pencil
rule.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:56:49 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

| Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
| Hi,
|
| We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get
| him out of the house.
|
| We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?
|
| Rajinder
|
| Meeow!

Does not always work, some cats have been known to ?adopt? a family of
mice.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Animal rights terrorists and activists kill innocent patients.

Pinot Grigio

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Rajinder

You can get a humane trap available from pet shops. It is a square shaped
tube with a trap door.
Put half a peanut in the opening to get its attention and a few more at the
back so it doesn't starve.
Check every morning until you have caught it. If you place it where you
know the mouse will be it should only take one night.
Release it at least 10 miles from home.

Chris Bacon

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Waste of time, expensive, may irritate you. Buy a "humane trap",
which has flaps that close when the mouse enters a tube to take
the bait. Examine the trap frequently for trapped mice, they will
starve/dehydrate inside a day. Release the mouse a good distance
from your house!
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Waste of time, expensive, may irritate you. Buy a "humane trap",

http://www.robharvey.com/pest-control/rodent-traps.htm

etc., etc. Multi-traps are good - this is expesive, but lasts years.
Farouq

If you want to get rid of the mouse for good your are going to have to
kill it. No point pussy footing around (excuse the pun). You rarely
get a solitary mouse, there'll be more if they haven't arrived already.

Get plenty of lethal bait and exterminate the lot, follow the advice
others have given in covering as may holes as possible etc.

Chris Bacon

Jeff wrote:
"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote...
We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Cat ?

He said he didn't want to kill the mouse, let alone have the
creature slow-tortured to death. I shouldn't think he wants
an animal that might scratch up his furnishings, spray ****
all over his house, crap all over his or the neighbours
gardens, and kill all the local wildlife to boot, as well
as being an on-going expense.

Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 12:15:52 +0100, "Pinot Grigio" Someone@somewhere
wrote:

| "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
| out of the house.
|
| We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?
|
| Rajinder
|

| You can get a humane trap available from pet shops. It is a square shaped
| tube with a trap door.
| Put half a peanut in the opening to get its attention and a few more at the
| back so it doesn't starve.
| Check every morning until you have caught it. If you place it where you
| know the mouse will be it should only take one night.

There is never one mouse, there is always a family, so continue whatever
method you chose for a month or so.

Mice run round the walls, so place traps/bait close to a wall.

| Release it at least 10 miles from home.

Not near other houses which your house mouse will invade.
That way the local predators will kill it,
but *your* hands will be clean :-(

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Animal rights terrorists and activists kill innocent patients.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" writes:
Hi,

We have got a mouse

Mice are not normally solitary animals.

in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

Make sure there's nothing for them to eat inside the house.
That won't stop them comming in for warmth, but they might
find someone else's house with warmth and food a more
desirable property.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Humane trap, and release outside.

--
Andrew Gabriel

soup

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get
him out of the house.

If you see one there is probably a whole "family" of them

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Ultrasound is a bit of '6 and half a dozen', seems to work for some not
for others a LOT of money is to be made for those manufacturing
Ultrasound devices, but I do not feel they work..
A killing trap is more humane in the long run, remember if you release
the mouse within 200 yards (or so) of your house it will just come back
[1] if you release it miles away then you are condeming it to a long
lingering death (if a predator doesn't eat it) as it is not
adapted/suited to living wild.

The problem with poison is that poison takes a while to work, plenty
time for the mouse to crawl into some innacesable place and die and
subsequently smell. Once mice are in the walls it is almost impossible
to get rid of them totally all you can do is stop them coming into the
human part, seal all holes (remember they can get through what many
consider impossible holes) put all food in mouse proof boxes clear up
any spills immediately .
Obviously it matters if you live on the 12th floor of a tower block as
opposed to a farmhouse

Mind you I lived 30 years in Edinburgh [3]where 90% of the buildings
have mice[2] (lots of stone walls ) and now live in the countryside
where mice are endemic about all you can do is not invite/let them into
the human part.

Rats are a TOTALY different matter.

[1] Or to a neighbours which if you live in a terrace is almost the same
as having them yourself
[2] Can't remember where I got this figure from it may well be
apoccyphal (bit like 6ft from a rat in London) and it does not mean the
mice are running about the floors merely that they are in the walls.
[3] So all this is IMHO. For a more proffesional opinion try googling
for "pest control"

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 12:29:07 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| We have got a mouse in our house

You won't have one, well you might ATM but it'll be joined by another
and then a family. At this time of year they are probably coming in to
find the warmth. We get them every year about this time, 5 so far this
autumn.

| We do not want to kill him.

Good for you, I'm happy for them to be outside but not in the house.

| Ultrasound system any good?

Well the ones we have don't seem to make any difference. They can
certainly hear it as they visibly jump when you turn it on but it
doesn't seem overly worry them. It has various settings and it's set
to "quiet", if set to "loud" it drives you out...

| Put half a peanut in the opening to get its attention and a few
| more at the back so it doesn't starve.

We find that Nuttella is good, doesn't go rancid like peanut butter.
No need for anything at the entrance mice like holes and will go in
anyway.

There is never one mouse, there is always a family, so continue
whatever method you chose for a month or so.

Agreed, we have a trap down all year "just in case" but normally it
only ever gets anything around this time of year. We are very rural
and surrounded by ideal mouse habitat. The fields and banks are
riddled with mouse/vole sized holes...

Mice run round the walls, so place traps/bait close to a wall.

Yep.

| Release it at least 10 miles from home.

Not near other houses which your house mouse will invade.

If it is a house mouse. House mice are grey, field mice brown. But
what ever it will go looking for the warmth again.

We have the advantage of some forested fell tops only about 4 miles
away that are a good couple of miles from any habitation. But
certainly releasing in the back garden is useless, the mouse will
probably be back in before you are!

That way the local predators will kill it, but *your* hands will be
clean :-(

Why :-( ? I'd much rather let the mouse takes it chances with the
local predators and help support them than simply kill it and bung in
the compost bin.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Chris Bacon wrote:
Jeff wrote:
"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote...

Cat ?

He said he didn't want to kill the mouse, let alone have the
creature slow-tortured to death. I shouldn't think he wants
an animal that might scratch up his furnishings, spray ****
all over his house, crap all over his or the neighbours
gardens, and kill all the local wildlife to boot, as well
as being an on-going expense.

Bit of an exaggeration !

My cat is 18 and hardly moves more than to go outside in the sun or
come in and eat. Let alone scratch, **** on or kill anything !

Why doesn't he rescue an old cat, for that 'not too long on-going'
expense

Paul.

Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Waste of time, expensive, may irritate you. Buy a "humane trap",
which has flaps that close when the mouse enters a tube to take
the bait. Examine the trap frequently for trapped mice, they will
starve/dehydrate inside a day. Release the mouse a good distance
from your house!

Humane traps are a great idea.
Plus, you can train cats to some extent to chase mice, if they were
not taught by the mother, just using similar techniques.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
Hi,

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get
him out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Rajinder

How do you know its a 'HIM'?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Steve Walker

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote
in message ...
Hi,

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to
get him out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

humane mousetraps, screwfix - work beautifully

dennis@home

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
Hi,

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him
out of the house.

I was standing in the shed yesterday when a 6" rat rushed out and looked at
me.
I dropped the toolbox I was holding on it and it is no longer a problem.

We do not want to kill him.

Forget the toolbox solution then.

Ultrasound system any good?

Rajinder

Chris Bacon

Owain wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

He said he didn't want to kill the mouse, let alone have the
creature slow-tortured to death. I shouldn't think he wants
an animal that might scratch up his furnishings, spray ****
all over his house, crap all over his or the neighbours
gardens, and kill all the local wildlife to boot, as well
as being an on-going expense.

Get a snake then. A big enough one will eat the mouse and the cat.

ROFL. Visons of that Russian dish of a very small bird inside a
partridge inside a guinea fowl inside a chicken inside..... you get
the idea. Anywar, u.f+d.misc, I guess.

Chris Bacon

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[ bait]
We find that Nuttella is good, doesn't go rancid like peanut butter.

Good for Squirrels, too.

someone wrote about releasing mice elsewhe
That way the local predators will kill it, but *your* hands will be
clean :-(

Why :-( ? I'd much rather let the mouse takes it chances with the
local predators and help support them than simply kill it and bung in
the compost bin.

You could feed the dead mouse to the dog...

I agree that letting 'em go won't often kill them as long
as there's a reasonable alternative habitat.
Chris Bacon

Rob Morley wrote:
In article invalid says...
Poison is IMO the only way :-(

Except they can then wander off and die in inconvenient places ...

I have a squirrel make off in a fenn trap once, I thought the
tenant had displosed of the trap - I was wrong. I found it.
Chris Bacon

Ian Stirling wrote:
Humane traps are a great idea.
Plus, you can train cats to some extent to chase mice

Shouldn't think they're quick enough, they need to pounce on
and hold/disable their prey, they don't often chase it.
mogga

wrote:

There is never one mouse, there is always a family, so continue whatever
method you chose for a month or so.

You might have one if you have a mad cat who lets them go once they're
in the house.

--
Promotional codes, discounts, money off
http://www.promotionalcode.co.uk/
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:07:20 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

You could feed the dead mouse to the dog...

No I can't, don't have a dog...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

raden

In message , Owain
writes
dennis@home wrote:
I was standing in the shed yesterday when a 6" rat rushed out and
looked at me.
I dropped the toolbox I was holding on it and it is no longer a problem.

Doesn't that make a bit of a mess of the bottom of the toolbox?

Ffs - what do you think a scraper's for ?

--
geoff
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article .com,
wrote:

Bit of an exaggeration !

My cat is 18 and hardly moves more than to go outside in the sun or
come in and eat. Let alone scratch, **** on or kill anything !

That's true enough. My four eat and sleep. Then they sleep some more, before
hauling themselves of their beds to eat a little more. Then th effort is all
too much and they have to sleep some more. :-)

--
AJL
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" writes:
In article .com,
wrote:
Bit of an exaggeration !

My cat is 18 and hardly moves more than to go outside in the sun or
come in and eat. Let alone scratch, **** on or kill anything !

That's true enough. My four eat and sleep. Then they sleep some more, before
hauling themselves of their beds to eat a little more. Then th effort is all
too much and they have to sleep some more. :-)

They're predators. If you feed 'em, they sure as hell aren't going to waste
any energy finding food for themselves. Breathe, eat, excrete, sleep, and
make babies, and that's about it. See also any documentary on lions.
--
SAm.
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Thanks for your advices.

Rajinder

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , Owain
writes
dennis@home wrote:
I was standing in the shed yesterday when a 6" rat rushed out and
looked at me.
I dropped the toolbox I was holding on it and it is no longer a

problem.

Doesn't that make a bit of a mess of the bottom of the toolbox?

Ffs - what do you think a scraper's for ?

--
geoff

raden

In message , Owain
writes
raden wrote:
Doesn't that make a bit of a mess of the bottom of the toolbox?

Ffs - what do you think a scraper's for ?

Cutting plastic pipe when I can't find the hacksaw.

Then you should just be able to soak the rat off

--
geoff

Hamie

wrote:

There is never one mouse, there is always a family, so continue whatever
method you chose for a month or so.

You might have one if you have a mad cat who lets them go once they're
in the house.

ha. Ours does that. Brings them inside, plays with them for a while &
then gets bored & wanders off... Stupid damn thing. I put down the
rentokil things against the walls. That seems to see them off. Of course
short rations for the cat means she eats them rather than plays as well.

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 14:10:00 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Get a snake then. A big enough one will eat the mouse and the cat.

Not much use on alligators though.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/...t/gator_python

Jerry

Ultra sound in my experience will reduce the problem of rodents if not
completely eliminate it. Rats, bats or mice seem to be repelled to a
degree. You can buy these units from about 20UKP on the high street.

Mice Rick UK diy 24 April 12th 05 09:20 AM
Mice in Attic Noise Help [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 10th 04 01:37 AM
Trapping attic mice amidst blown-in insulation Good Music Home Repair 15 December 3rd 04 01:57 PM
Stucco Gaps and Mice Henry Home Repair 4 September 2nd 04 04:29 AM
Mice, Questions about D-Con and Traps McCoysWink Home Repair 3 October 27th 03 01:18 PM