Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 12:29:07 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| We have got a mouse in our house

You won't have one, well you might ATM but it'll be joined by another
and then a family. At this time of year they are probably coming in to
find the warmth. We get them every year about this time, 5 so far this
autumn.

| We do not want to kill him.

Good for you, I'm happy for them to be outside but not in the house.

| Ultrasound system any good?

Well the ones we have don't seem to make any difference. They can
certainly hear it as they visibly jump when you turn it on but it
doesn't seem overly worry them. It has various settings and it's set
to "quiet", if set to "loud" it drives you out...

| Put half a peanut in the opening to get its attention and a few
| more at the back so it doesn't starve.

We find that Nuttella is good, doesn't go rancid like peanut butter.
No need for anything at the entrance mice like holes and will go in
anyway.

There is never one mouse, there is always a family, so continue
whatever method you chose for a month or so.

Agreed, we have a trap down all year "just in case" but normally it
only ever gets anything around this time of year. We are very rural
and surrounded by ideal mouse habitat. The fields and banks are
riddled with mouse/vole sized holes...

Mice run round the walls, so place traps/bait close to a wall.

Yep.

| Release it at least 10 miles from home.

Not near other houses which your house mouse will invade.

If it is a house mouse. House mice are grey, field mice brown. But
what ever it will go looking for the warmth again.

We have the advantage of some forested fell tops only about 4 miles
away that are a good couple of miles from any habitation. But
certainly releasing in the back garden is useless, the mouse will
probably be back in before you are!

That way the local predators will kill it, but *your* hands will be
clean :-(

Why :-( ? I'd much rather let the mouse takes it chances with the
local predators and help support them than simply kill it and bung in
the compost bin.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail