Andrew Gabriel

Default Gas valve repair

Got a call on Friday night from a friend whose Baxi 105e combi
stopped firing up, when all the family were arriving at the
weekend for a long stay. After running through the possible
failures to ignite, I found the main gas valve solenoid coil
was open circuit. Managed to get a new one on Saturday morning
but it was the base Honeywell part, so I had to transfer the
modulator across. Failure had likely been accelerated by the
secondary heat exchanger furring up, resulting in the valve
continously cutting in and out in hot water mode, as the
primary temperature had been going up over 80 in an effort to
get required power transfered through the plate exchanger.
Anyway, replaced the gas valve, and defurred the plate
exchanger (and whilst the boiler was in bits, cleaned out the
burners, flue, etc), recommissioned, and it's all running
perfectly now.

Anyway, to the meat of the question... Have a burned out gas
valve left over. Is it possible to get just the replacement
coils for these? If so, and if they're cheaper than a whole
valve (£56 + VAT), this would seem like a sensible thing to
repair ready for next time it burns out (maybe in another 4
years time?). Not to mention than no one seems to keep stock
of this Baxi part anyway, which would be another reason to
have a refurbished spare ready to go on the shelf.

--
Andrew Gabriel

raden

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
[...]

Sorry, I don't touch them

I do have some gas valves lying about, but without knowing what they're
from, getting the right coil parameters (especially when the solenoid's
gone open circuit) is prolly a going to be an outsider.

I would think that most have died because of o/c solenoids anyway
(although I haven't checked)

Is there a manufacturers part number on it ?

--
geoff
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Anyway, to the meat of the question... Have a burned out gas
valve left over. Is it possible to get just the replacement
coils for these? If so, and if they're cheaper than a whole
valve (£56 + VAT), this would seem like a sensible thing to
repair ready for next time it burns out (maybe in another 4
years time?). Not to mention than no one seems to keep stock
of this Baxi part anyway, which would be another reason to
have a refurbished spare ready to go on the shelf.

Sorry, I don't touch them

I do have some gas valves lying about, but without knowing what they're
from, getting the right coil parameters (especially when the solenoid's
gone open circuit) is prolly a going to be an outsider.

I would think that most have died because of o/c solenoids anyway
(although I haven't checked)

Is there a manufacturers part number on it ?

Honeywell VK4105A 1027

I don't have the valve on me, but it's got two coils in series
in the same moulding, and I think it said V1 + V2 240VAC on it,
although I have a feeling it is actually being driven with DC.
The connector has 5 pins, earth in the middle and the two coil
connections either side, but they are also hardwired in series
internally, and the Baxi board only drives the outermost terminals.

The 1027 number on the end seems to specify what sort of gas
connections the valve has. There are models with different
operating voltage too, and I think that's what the 'A' is, but
it might also be covered by the 1027 number.

The Baxi part no (248085) has the pressure reducing part of the
valve swapped for a modulator with a 14V (max) coil controlling
it with separate connections from the main gas valve. The
modulator was made by someone else, not Honeywell but I can't
remember who. That part was still working OK though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

raden

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
[...]

I'll have a look tomorrow to see what's lying around

--
geoff
raden

In message , Rob Morley
writes
In article ,
says...
snip
Anyway, to the meat of the question... Have a burned out gas
valve left over. Is it possible to get just the replacement
coils for these?

Couldn't you just rewind it?

They're potted - not really worth the hassle if you don't know the
parameters (e.g. number of turns etc

--
geoff
raden

In message , raden
writes
In message , Andrew
Gabriel writes
In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
[...]

Nope, nothing matching that part number, sorry

--
geoff

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:
Nope, nothing matching that part number, sorry

Thanks for looking Geoff.

--
Andrew Gabriel