ARWadsworth

Default DIY death

How not to make your own angle grinder.

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/

lead story

Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:
How not to make your own angle grinder.

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/

lead story

Adam

Sounds like the fault may have been with the disc rather than the
grinder itself.

NT

Chris Bacon

ARWadsworth wrote:
How not to make your own angle grinder.
http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/
Sounds like the fault may have been with the disc rather than the
grinder itself.

A disc on a "home-made angle grinder using a lawnmower motor"? What
motor? What disc? Disc mounted by what means? Lots of questions,
more than these very bacic ones, to be answered before real comment
may be made.
The Wanderer

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:04:40 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
How not to make your own angle grinder.
http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/
Sounds like the fault may have been with the disc rather than the
grinder itself.

A disc on a "home-made angle grinder using a lawnmower motor"? What
motor? What disc? Disc mounted by what means? Lots of questions,
more than these very bacic ones, to be answered before real comment
may be made.

Ye-es fair comment, but I once had to attend a fatality where a guy was
working on a roof using a (as it happens stolen) 9" angle grinder without a
guard. The police thought at first he'd been electrocuted, but it turned
out the blade had shattered and embedded itself into his skull. Not a
pretty sight. The moral, I guess, is *never* use an angle grinder without a
guard.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Weatherlawyer

The Wanderer wrote:
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:04:40 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

A disc on a "home-made angle grinder using a lawnmower motor"? What
motor? What disc? Disc mounted by what means? Lots of questions,
more than these very bacic ones, to be answered before real comment
may be made.

Ye-es fair comment, but I once had to attend a fatality where a guy was
working on a roof using a (as it happens stolen) 9" angle grinder without a
guard.

Unfortunate positioning of the following advert:

Business Directory
Make sure your business is in our business directory, and that your
details are correct. Our business directory is the most extensive in
the area, so dont miss out on custom.

Did you hear the one about the chap who tried to get a pair of trainers
off a powerline using a pocketknife tied to a copper pipe? At the
Darwin Awards his mother stated: "We will never know what happened."

Like mother like son, eh?

:::Jerry::::

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Did you hear the one about the chap who tried to get a pair of

trainers
off a powerline using a pocketknife tied to a copper pipe? At the
Darwin Awards his mother stated: "We will never know what

happened."

She was probably referring to how the trainers found their way onto
the power line...

***SPOILER*** Strong language follows

The only trouble was, the wrong ****ing morons got killed - the
****wit bullies no doubt walked away without injury or death - if
only their arses could be made to painful to sit down on for a month
of Sundays or more.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Wanderer wrote:
The moral, I guess, is *never* use an angle grinder without a
guard.

I'd say never use an angle grinder ever. They scare the s**t out of me.
There are always other ways of doing the same thing.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
The Wanderer wrote:
The moral, I guess, is *never* use an angle grinder without a
guard.

I'd say never use an angle grinder ever. They scare the s**t out of me.
There are always other ways of doing the same thing.

Killjoy !

--
geoff
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:

wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How not to make your own angle grinder.
http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/

Sounds like the fault may have been with the disc rather than the
grinder itself.

A disc on a "home-made angle grinder using a lawnmower motor"? What
motor? What disc? Disc mounted by what means? Lots of questions,
more than these very bacic ones, to be answered before real comment
may be made.

Short answer. No guard.
Any disc can explode. That's why you have a guard.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
(most common cause of disc
failure is leaving them to get damp).

I'd heard dropping them also, often in the supply
chain before you bought them.

--
Andrew Gabriel

:::Jerry::::

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
(most common cause of disc
failure is leaving them to get damp).

I'd heard dropping them also, often in the supply
chain before you bought them.

Feeding them into the work to fast can also cause them to bust, the
same applies to bench grinders and cutting disc's.

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 01:41:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Any disc can explode.

Angle grinder disks don't explode. There's a large mesh moulded in there
to stop them doing just that. They can burst, and they can throw chunks,
but they should _never_ under any conceivable circumstance "explode" in
the way that an unreinforced wheel so easily can.

I bet this guy was using an unreinforced wheel, such as a bench grinder
wheel. Store it damp for a few years, mount it unevenly and over speed
it, it's bound to happen.

I like angle grinders. Of all the whirling abrasive machines out there,
they're far safer than most of the others.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Huge wrote:
The moral, I guess, is *never* use an angle grinder without a
guard.

I'd say never use an angle grinder ever.

Blimey. One of the most useful tools I own.

Oh, I have a few, but use them for stripping paint and rust etc on steel
so with a 'soft' disk. Or in a stand as a metal chop saw. It's hand held
cutting of stone etc that worries me - probably because I'm not skilled at
it.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

david lang

Andy Dingley wrote:

I like angle grinders. Of all the whirling abrasive machines out
there, they're far safer than most of the others.

Although they frighten the life out of me, they are safer than a lot of kit.
I got attacked in the leg by a (slowing down) diamond disc on a 9" grinder.
It caused a fairly deep abrasion but didn't cause a cut, No bleeding at
all - although I still have the scar from 2 years ago.

Dave

:::Jerry::::

"david lang" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

I like angle grinders. Of all the whirling abrasive machines out
there, they're far safer than most of the others.

Although they frighten the life out of me, they are safer than a

lot of kit.
I got attacked in the leg by a (slowing down) diamond disc on a 9"

grinder.
It caused a fairly deep abrasion but didn't cause a cut, No

bleeding at
all - although I still have the scar from 2 years ago.

AIUI injuries from grinding wheels (and their relatives) are one of
the most awkward to deal with as there is not 'cut' flesh as such,
any trumer being lots of tiny tears from the grinding action - flesh
is lost in other words. You seem to have been luck to say the
least....

John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd say never use an angle grinder ever. They scare the s**t out of me.

Can't say I have ever been that worried by them... if you do come into
contact with the blade, they will do far less damage than many tools
employing a sharp cutting edge.

(Having said that, every time I spin up a new abrasive disc for the
first time, I hold the tool such that I am not in a radial line with the
disc, and let it run flat out for a few seconds just in case anything is
going to fly off it. Nothing ever has is has to be said)

There are always other ways of doing the same thing.

Perhaps, but sometimes the "other ways" are far from being ideal... and
there is not much chance of fragmentation with a diamond disc anyway.

I would have thought you would be hard pushed to make a neat job of
cutting the edge off a concrete path without either an angle grinder or
a stone cutter. Don't much fancy the job of cutting a few hundred roof
tiles without one either!

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

AIUI injuries from grinding wheels (and their relatives) are one of
the most awkward to deal with as there is not 'cut' flesh as such,
any trumer being lots of tiny tears from the grinding action - flesh
is lost in other words. You seem to have been luck to say the
least....

Other than ordinary knife type blades (chisels etc) most tool related
accidents are going to remove flesh rather than simply cutting it - most
cutting edges have a kerf of some sort.

Abrasive cuts also have a greater possibility of leaving fragments of
abrasive in the wound.

Fortunately part of the reason that abrasive discs don't cut flesh as
well is because the skin is reasonably resistant to abrasion, and is
mounted on a nice wobbly substrate. Having said that, if you run a 9"
disc at full speed and plunge it into your thigh with a bit of force, it
will cut it quite effectively! (there is a nice demo done in a Makita
training video where they do just this (on a pork thigh!)).

--
Cheers,

John.

Newshound

Blimey. One of the most useful tools I own.

And so cheap now! The very thought of making one! The first 115 mm I bought
cost two weeks wages.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Wanderer wrote:
The moral, I guess, is *never* use an angle grinder without a
guard.

I'd say never use an angle grinder ever. They scare the s**t out of me.
There are always other ways of doing the same thing.

I use them but I take every precaution with them. I consider myself a
very competent DIY'er but I've had a few incidents where the blade has
kicked back. Luckily, I always handle the grinder such that I'm not in
the line of fire.

I'm certainly not one for government creating measures to clampdown on
DIY'ers but I think it's crazy that people can hire these things from
hire shops without any real knowledge of how dangerous they can be.

ARWadsworth

wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Personally I thought the moral was "do not build your own angle grider using
a lawnmower motor"

Adam

In some ways I support what you say particularly as using one killed my
father, but I do still use them and just treat them with the respect
any power tool must be given.

My father, in his late 70's was using one to cut a plate of steel and
didn't spot that when the groove he was cutting went through there was
an intense spray of sparks - this set fire to wood shavings which in
turn set fire to a plastic container ( we think) of white spirit. He
regretably didn't survive the resulting explosion.

So far I've managed to survive what could be defined as a Darwin award
type incident but at 79 he was possibly not that switched on to a
little bit of lateral thinking. It happened long enough ago that I can
rationalise totally about it now, but I do keep all inflammible liquids
well away from the work shop and the house.

By the way I found the other day that the garden leaf sucker is a great
way for clearing up shavings !!

Rob

Mark

ARWadsworth wrote:
I will keep a look out in the paper to see what the inquest decides on the
cause of the accident.

The thought of connecting a blade to a lawnmower motor beggars belief.

I was under the impression that that's how most lawnmowers worked

:::Jerry::::

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...

snip

Personally I thought the moral was "do not build your own angle

grider using
a lawnmower motor"

.....unless you know what you are doing, have done all the speed
calculations and incorporate all the required safety measures.

A lawn mower engine is just a source of revolutions, just as an
electric motor is.

:::Jerry::::

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...

snip

The thought of connecting a blade to a lawnmower motor beggars

belief.

Presumably so does connecting one to an electric motor?

The problem is the RPM, not the source or the revolutions....

ARWadsworth

"Mark" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
I will keep a look out in the paper to see what the inquest decides on
the cause of the accident.

The thought of connecting a blade to a lawnmower motor beggars belief.

I was under the impression that that's how most lawnmowers worked

I do suspect that my spell check changed disk to blade

Adam

:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

snip

The problem is the RPM, not the source or the revolutions....

Oops, bloody typo's...

Should read;
The problem is the RPM, not the source OF the revolutions....

Badger

John Rumm wrote:

There are always other ways of doing the same thing.

Perhaps, but sometimes the "other ways" are far from being ideal... and
there is not much chance of fragmentation with a diamond disc anyway.

Depends on the type of disc, the sintered diamond blades we use for
glass at work loose chunks when certain fools abuse them!
Badger

ARWadsworth wrote:

How not to make your own angle grinder.

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/

lead story

Adam

Theres no fool like an old fool...
Bob Eager

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:35:56 UTC, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...

snip

The thought of connecting a blade to a lawnmower motor beggars

belief.

Presumably so does connecting one to an electric motor?

The problem is the RPM, not the source or the revolutions....

Indeed...especially when the disc you are rotating is a five foot
diameter table, strengthened with steel tube, with blades made out of
cut out pieces of washing machine casing....

(assuming someone else also saw Mechannibals tonight...). They
considered it (with attached gas cylinder and flamethrower) so dangerous
they operated it behind a safety fence.
http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com
david lang

On the subject of angle grinders, any thoughts on cutting a dead straight
line accurately?

Witha circular saw, router, jigsaw you can use a straight edge to make sure
the cut is spot on

Can you do this with an angle grinder?

And why are they called 'angle grinders'?

Dave

Chip

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:10:40 GMT,it is alleged that "david lang"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

On the subject of angle grinders, any thoughts on cutting a dead straight
line accurately?

Witha circular saw, router, jigsaw you can use a straight edge to make sure
the cut is spot on

Can you do this with an angle grinder?

And why are they called 'angle grinders'?

Dave

As I understand it (I could be wrong) it is simply because the disk is
at a 90 degree angle to the motor shaft, as opposed to the normal
layout of say, an electric drill.

This arrangement allows you to get the disk into smaller places than
would be possible with a conventional arrangement, and also changes
the torque from a twisting of the tool's body, to a 'bucking', which
probably makes it easier to predict in which direction the tool will
fly when it catches g.

--
We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very
average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something

Andrew Gabriel

In article t,
Chip writes:

As I understand it (I could be wrong) it is simply because the disk is
at a 90 degree angle to the motor shaft, as opposed to the normal
layout of say, an electric drill.

This arrangement allows you to get the disk into smaller places than
would be possible with a conventional arrangement, and also changes
the torque from a twisting of the tool's body, to a 'bucking', which
probably makes it easier to predict in which direction the tool will
fly when it catches g.

The giroscopic effect of two rotational axis at right angles
(disc and motor armature) probably results in a far more stable
tool too.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Liquorice

On 25 Sep 2005 22:10:37 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

(assuming someone else also saw Mechannibals tonight...).

Didn't know anything about that programme, well trailed obviously,
will have to keep an eye open for it.

Did see Scrapheap Challange, oo that was some chopper to cleanly split
a sleeper across the grain.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Chris Bacon

daddyfreddy wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The Wanderer wrote:
The moral, I guess, is *never* use an angle grinder without a
guard.

I'd say never use an angle grinder ever. They scare the s**t out of me.
There are always other ways of doing the same thing.

I'm certainly not one for government creating measures to clampdown on
DIY'ers but I think it's crazy that people can hire these things from
hire shops without any real knowledge of how dangerous they can be.

They can *buy* one for about 20 quid.
Chris Bacon

david lang wrote:
And why are they called 'angle grinders'?

'cos they're used to grind angles, being used extensively in welding.
Chris Bacon

Chip wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:10:40 GMT,it is alleged that "david lang"
do this with an angle grinder?

And why are they called 'angle grinders'?

As I understand it (I could be wrong) it is simply because the disk is
at a 90 degree angle to the motor shaft, as opposed to the normal
layout of say, an electric drill.

That *is* how it would be with a drill, think of a sanding disc.

This arrangement allows you to get the disk into smaller places than
would be possible with a conventional arrangement, and also changes
the torque from a twisting of the tool's body, to a 'bucking', which
probably makes it easier to predict in which direction the tool will
fly when it catches g.

It should not "catch". If it does, you've done something wrong.