John

Default Grout

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of 'mix your own' over ready mixed (or
vice versa). I have always mixed my own but I am now thinking of changing
to ready mixed so that the mix is uniform and consistent. Also when mixing
grout the packet instructions never seem to be correct. The last lot I did
last week said "3 to 4 parts grout to 1 part water by volume", even using
the same measuring cup the grout would not mix to a useable consistency
without adding more water. Keeping a careful eye on how much water I was
adding, to get to a useable mix it was nearer 2 parts grout to 1 water.

Cheers

John

Vass

"John" wrote in message
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of 'mix your own' over ready mixed (or
vice versa). I have always mixed my own but I am now thinking of changing
to ready mixed so that the mix is uniform and consistent. Also when
mixing grout the packet instructions never seem to be correct. The last
lot I did last week said "3 to 4 parts grout to 1 part water by volume",
even using the same measuring cup the grout would not mix to a useable
consistency without adding more water. Keeping a careful eye on how much
water I was adding, to get to a useable mix it was nearer 2 parts grout to
1 water.

professionals use mix you own, I found i got a much better finish with it
(costs a bit for good stuff though)
--
Vass

Pecanfan

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of 'mix your own' over ready mixed (or
vice versa). I have always mixed my own but I am now thinking of

changing

professionals use mix you own, I found i got a much better finish with it
(costs a bit for good stuff though)

I've found the mix your own to be much better than the ready mixed stuff.
Apart from anything else it seems to have much less air bubbles in it so you
don't have to go over it 10 times to fill all the gaps. I go for around 3:1
and then add a bit more grout while mixing to get it 'slightly' stiffer.
Works great for me!

Andy

Rod

John wrote:
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of 'mix your own' over ready mixed (o=

r=20
vice versa). I have always mixed my own but I am now thinking of chang=

ing=20
to ready mixed so that the mix is uniform and consistent. Also when mi=

xing=20
grout the packet instructions never seem to be correct. The last lot I=

did=20
last week said "3 to 4 parts grout to 1 part water by volume", even usi=

ng=20
the same measuring cup the grout would not mix to a useable consistency=

=20
without adding more water. Keeping a careful eye on how much water I w=

as=20
adding, to get to a useable mix it was nearer 2 parts grout to 1 water.=

=20
Cheers
=20
John=20
=20
=20

Yep mix your own is a lot better and gives a more professional finish IMH=
O.

Don't go for the 2 part Epoxy resin stuff though, it is a nightmare to=20
work with.

--=20
=AE=D6=D0
Remove spamtrap to reply.
John

"Rod" wrote in message
news John wrote:

Don't go for the 2 part Epoxy resin stuff though, it is a nightmare to
work with.

The Epoxy resin grout is indeed difficult to work with, but if you mask
things off and are careful, it gives a very good result. It's particularly
good on tiled work surfaces and the tiles in shower cubicles. I won't
suggest using it for a whole bathroom though. The resin colouring agents are
also very good, but you have to make sure that you measure things out
correctly.

j.

Grout Sealant cover Home Ownership 9 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Grout Sealant cover Home Repair 10 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
tile grout options pinya Home Repair 9 February 22nd 05 09:21 PM
Shower tile - verticle seams - caulk or grout? dango Home Repair 3 September 26th 04 11:07 PM
tool for prying old grout out? peter Home Repair 4 March 2nd 04 07:06 AM