Junior Member

Question British Gas C/H Quotation - Boiler Replacement

This is my first post so i apologise up front.
My parents live in a 1960 detatched house, they intend to replace the central heating boiler (Glow worm hideaway circa 1982) with either a combi or a condensing boiler.
They have been in touch with BG and got a date for one of there engineers to come round and access the best option for them.
I read with some concern that they need to powerflush the system initially at a cost i hear of up to £1k, then replace the boiler. My parents want the TRV's and controller relacing as well.
Any ideas of cost we should be looking at? (The system presently has 10 radiators).
Should we wait and see what they quote and then get the local heating firm to come in as well ??
The reason for this work is that they need to remove the hot water cylinder to create space in the bathroom and replace it with a shower cubicle (health reasons) and the existing boiler is unpredictable.

Thanks in advance

Mark
raden

In message , mark harrison
writes

This is my first post so i apologise up front.

Actually, it's your second, and a copy of the first

My parents live in a 1960 detatched house, they intend to replace the
central heating boiler (Glow worm hideaway circa 1982) with either a
combi or a condensing boiler.
They have been in touch with BG and got a date for one of there
engineers to come round and access the best option for them.
I read with some concern that they need to powerflush the system
initially at a cost i hear of up to £1k,

You could buy the equipment to do a powerflush several times over for
that price

then replace the boiler. My
parents want the TRV's and controller relacing as well.
Any ideas of cost we should be looking at? (The system presently has 10
radiators).
Should we wait and see what they quote and then get the local heating
firm to come in as well ??

It's a waste of time asking BG in - as people have said they are
outlandishly expensive

If you don't know who else to try, phone your local authority up and ask
them who they use to maintain their council houses

At least you know that they won't be a complete cowboy outfit

--
geoff