Charles Middleton

Default Boiler and Broadband Problem

Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what sounds
like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing on
my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as well.
The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Cheers,

CM

Dave Jones

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what sounds
like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing on
my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as well.
The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Cheers,

CM

Suppressor in the pump?

Set Square

Charles Middleton wrote:

Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what
sounds like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing
on my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as
well. The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Cheers,

CM

Is there a lot of noise on the TV picture too when this happens? If so, it
could be sluggish contacts on either the boiler or room thermostat - causing
a lot of noise on the mains. [The contacts are supposed to snap open and
closed very quickly - but sometimes they dither.] Either replace the
offending stat - or get a suppressor for it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:43:29 -0700, Charles Middleton wrote:

Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what sounds
like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing on
my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as well.
The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Probably the thermostat is getting tired and does not click on and off
sharply. This is probably a precursor to the thermostat failing entirely
so you might as well replace it.

RedOnRed

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what sounds
like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing on
my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as well.
The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Cheers,

CM

Have you got a wireless room stat and router?

raden

In message .com,
Charles Middleton writes
Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what sounds
like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing on
my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as well.
The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

You prolly have bad contacts on e.g. a relay on the PCB, air pressure
switch, room stat or something

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:17:11 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
roups.com...
Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what sounds
like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing on
my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as well.
The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Cheers,

CM

Have you got a wireless room stat and router?

Different frequency ranges entirely...

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
:::Jerry::::

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:17:11 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

snip

Have you got a wireless room stat and router?

Different frequency ranges entirely...

It might not stop 'cross talk' though, especially if a source and
receiver are unusually close IYSWIM?

Andy Hall

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:18:42 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:17:11 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

snip

Have you got a wireless room stat and router?

Different frequency ranges entirely...

It might not stop 'cross talk' though, especially if a source and
receiver are unusually close IYSWIM?

Possible, although a wireless room thermostat turns the transmitter on
very briefly and occasionally to conserve the battery so it doesn't
seem that likely that it would affect a WiFi router.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Geo

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:40:15 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

Probably the thermostat is getting tired and does not click on and off
sharply. This is probably a precursor to the thermostat failing entirely
so you might as well replace it.

How do these new-fangled boilers light the gas?
Mine has a pilot light but presumably the "economy" type have to use high
voltage spark ignition - would be a good transmitter.

Geo

raden

In message , Geo
writes
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:40:15 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

Probably the thermostat is getting tired and does not click on and off
sharply. This is probably a precursor to the thermostat failing entirely
so you might as well replace it.

How do these new-fangled boilers light the gas?
Mine has a pilot light but presumably the "economy"

I think you spelt post WW2 incorrectly there

type have to use high
voltage spark ignition - would be a good transmitter.

Click, click, click - woosh

--
geoff
Charles Middleton

Set Square wrote:

Is there a lot of noise on the TV picture too when this happens? If so, it
could be sluggish contacts on either the boiler or room thermostat - causing
a lot of noise on the mains. [The contacts are supposed to snap open and
closed very quickly - but sometimes they dither.] Either replace the
offending stat - or get a suppressor for it.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Could I replace the boiler thermostat myself - easily?
If it is the stat then its the boiler one as this happens when Ive just
got the ho****er on.

You know Im tempted to get rid of the thing and replace it with a
combi, get rid of the electric shower as well and just have the house
looking a mess for a few weeks whilst all of the plumbing goes on. I
still havent sorted out my air in the system problem (raised last
winter) and this years winter is fast approaching.

Cheers,

CM.

Set Square

Charles Middleton wrote:

Could I replace the boiler thermostat myself - easily?
If it is the stat then its the boiler one as this happens when Ive
just got the ho****er on.

It's not usually too difficult. The stat has some electrical connections -
and also a copper capillary tube with a bulb on the end which goes into a
housing in the boiler to sense the temperature. So it's a case of removing
the bulb from its housing, disconnecting the wires, unbolting the stat
body - then reversing that lot with the new one, taking care not to damage
the capillary tube.
--
Cheers,
Set Square