Set Square

Charles Middleton wrote:

Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm
ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what
sounds like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be
giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing
on my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as
well. The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its
causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical
equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Cheers,

CM

Is there a lot of noise on the TV picture too when this happens? If so, it
could be sluggish contacts on either the boiler or room thermostat - causing
a lot of noise on the mains. [The contacts are supposed to snap open and
closed very quickly - but sometimes they dither.] Either replace the
offending stat - or get a suppressor for it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square