Fitz

Default New garage roof with different roofline - permission needed?

Hi,

Have a concrete sectional garage with shallow ridged roof, made from
corrugated asbestos cement.

The front of it is ~1.5m behind the back of the house. The garage is
set back about 4 car lengths from the road.

I would like to replace the asbestos roof with one that doesn't leak
and generally make the place a bit for homely for the freezer we intend
to put in there.

So the plan is to remove existing roof and timber and replace with new
corrugated plastic over new timber work.

What scope is there for me to make the roof a little higher with a
steeper pitch? Some other garages along the road (on properties built
at a different time) have higher roofs with steeper pitch. The point
of this would be to create a space in which I can store our volumous
roof box which we bought after our car shrank, following the birth of
our daughter.

I'm wondering if I need any kind of approval for this work be it
building regs or planning?

any comments gratefully received.

--
Steve F

Chris Bacon

Fitz wrote:
I would like to replace the asbestos roof with one that doesn't leak
and generally make the place a bit for homely for the freezer we intend
to put in there.

So the plan is to remove existing roof and timber and replace with new
corrugated plastic over new timber work.

What scope is there for me to make the roof a little higher with a
steeper pitch?

It'll be fine as long as the apex is 4m high or less. What sort of
"corrugated plastic" are you thinking of? I wouldn't use Onduline,
'cos IMO it's rubbish (although you can improve things by using it
over Sterling board). Why not corrugated iron?
jon

"Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sorry for hijacking your post, but It sounds if I have the same asbestos
roof as you. For future reference how are planning on getting rid of it.

Jon

Christian McArdle

The front of it is ~1.5m behind the back of the house. The garage is
set back about 4 car lengths from the road.
(...)
What scope is there for me to make the roof a little higher with a
steeper pitch?

You may or may not require planning permission. It depends on your
circumstances, but you could well be lucky with this one.

So the plan is to remove existing roof and timber and replace with new
corrugated plastic over new timber work.

Corrugated plastic is horrible, noisy, cracks easily and looks tacky,
especially after a few years of UV. I'd use almost anything in preference.
Perhaps board over with WBP ply and some good quality roofing felt.

Christian.

Chris Bacon

jon wrote:
It sounds if I have the same asbestos roof as you. For future
reference how are planning on getting rid of it.

Get in touch with your local "Tidy Tip", or the council, or
use Google, and find out which tip accepts this stuff (they
will have an "enclosed" skip). Take the stuff there on a
trailer, and dump it. Call the tidy tip first to check
they've got room in the skip for it, it's normally emptied
once a week or so.

To get the sheets off, get some bolt cutters, and snip the
nuts in half, across the flats, so that they fall off the
bolts. 18" cutters are OK.

Christian McArdle

To get the sheets off, get some bolt cutters, and snip the
nuts in half, across the flats, so that they fall off the
bolts. 18" cutters are OK.

And take all the usual precautions. Don't go round cutting it up with a
circular saw!

Christian.

T Gent

Hi

From what I can recall (just got permission for something similar) if all of
the garage is more than 1m from any boundary and as stated less than 4m high
you should be OK.
Or make a quick sketch of you property pop down to council they will get
your house up on PC and tell you there and then if you need planning and or
Building regs.

Cheers

Tony

Fitz" wrote in message
[...]

John Anderton

On 16 Sep 2005 06:17:28 -0700, "Fitz"
wrote:

[...]

If the garage is within 5m of the house (not sure from your post if
the 1.5m behind is just the distance behind and it's also some
distance off to one side too) and it's more than 10m3 in volume (it'd
have to be a rather small garage if it isn't !) then it counts as an
extension to the house so changing the roofline does, in theory,
require planning permission, (unless the garage is small enough to be
included in the allowed increase, see here :
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...888239508.html)

If it's not within 5 meters then, as another poster said, as long as
the roof isn't over 4 metres high , you're OK.

If it's got an internal floor area of less than 30m3 then it doesn't
need to comply with building regs.

Cheers,

John
John Anderton

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:50:08 GMT, "T Gent"
wrote:

Hi

From what I can recall (just got permission for something similar) if all of
the garage is more than 1m from any boundary and as stated less than 4m high
you should be OK.

The "1m from the boundary" bit is only relevant if the garage is not
built substantially from non-combustible material. Since this one's
concrete, the OP shouldn't need to worry about distance from the
boundary wrt building regs,

Cheers,

John
John Anderton

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:06:51 GMT, John Anderton
wrote:

If it's got an internal floor area of less than 30m3 then it doesn't
need to comply with building regs.

Obviously that should be 30m2, damn fingers :-)

Also this :- http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_4.htm

is the relevant planning legislation, Class E is what covers garages,
sheds, etc.

Cheers,

John