John Anderton

On 16 Sep 2005 06:17:28 -0700, "Fitz"
wrote:

Hi,

Have a concrete sectional garage with shallow ridged roof, made from
corrugated asbestos cement.

The front of it is ~1.5m behind the back of the house. The garage is
set back about 4 car lengths from the road.

I would like to replace the asbestos roof with one that doesn't leak
and generally make the place a bit for homely for the freezer we intend
to put in there.

So the plan is to remove existing roof and timber and replace with new
corrugated plastic over new timber work.

What scope is there for me to make the roof a little higher with a
steeper pitch? Some other garages along the road (on properties built
at a different time) have higher roofs with steeper pitch. The point
of this would be to create a space in which I can store our volumous
roof box which we bought after our car shrank, following the birth of
our daughter.

I'm wondering if I need any kind of approval for this work be it
building regs or planning?

any comments gratefully received.

If the garage is within 5m of the house (not sure from your post if
the 1.5m behind is just the distance behind and it's also some
distance off to one side too) and it's more than 10m3 in volume (it'd
have to be a rather small garage if it isn't !) then it counts as an
extension to the house so changing the roofline does, in theory,
require planning permission, (unless the garage is small enough to be
included in the allowed increase, see here :
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...888239508.html)

If it's not within 5 meters then, as another poster said, as long as
the roof isn't over 4 metres high , you're OK.

If it's got an internal floor area of less than 30m3 then it doesn't
need to comply with building regs.

Cheers,

John