Hugh

Default Gas Leak

Called out by a tenant this morning as she could smell gas - tested with
leak detecting fluid - couldn't find anything - it was obviously very
slight. Using our noses we homed in on the area round the governor - it was
definitely there. It was a new meter 9 months ago, but the governer looked a
good bit older and I noticed some corrosion around one of the annular
corrugations on the pipe. Got British Gas out and they confirmed it was the
pipe between the incoming main and the governor, but maintained that whoever
ran the pipe work from the meter had dropped flux onto the pipe and not
wiped it off - and had burnt throught the pipe in less than 6 months!!
We know that copper resists the corrosion by flux for many years - I believe
it was dicussed recently - but this pipe (the flexible one) isn't copper and
is apparently easily corroded by flux - be warned.
Unless he was telling porkies!

Mr Fizzion

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:17:20 +0000 (UTC), "Hugh"
wrote:

[...]

So the corroded pipe is iron? Perhaps he was just guessing?

Mr F.

John Rumm

Mr Fizzion wrote:

it was dicussed recently - but this pipe (the flexible one) isn't copper and
is apparently easily corroded by flux - be warned.
Unless he was telling porkies!

So the corroded pipe is iron? Perhaps he was just guessing?

Sounds like one of those stainless steel corrugated things... There is a
warning in the FAQ, see "Purge Procedure point 7":

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:17:20 +0000, Hugh wrote:

[...]

He wasn't this is a known problem, flux attacks stainless steel very
quickly. Were they refusing to fix it because of the negligent installers,
or just whinging?

Hugh

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

It was all changed without any fuss - he was just pointing out the probable
cause - and it appears he was spot-on in his diagnosis. I would have thought
a change of material for the anaconda pipe would be prudent considering how
easily it corrodes.
Hugh

possible gas leak jhughes37 Home Repair 13 April 10th 05 05:12 PM
water leak - which way? mich UK diy 2 September 3rd 04 06:24 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 10:47 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM