RzB

Default Replacement boiler quote - reasonable?

As part of a kitchen refurbishment we are renewing
our old Thorn M56/76B boiler.

See...

http://pix.gillandroy.com/diy/boiler/+ThornDetails.jpg

We have had visits from 4 plumbers. A fith was
arranged but he called at 30 mins to arrival time
with an excuse... "Cut his finger off at work today"
- ouch - at least he also thought it was an amusing
change from the "the vans broken down" :-)

Anyway - from all this I have one quote. Three of the
four have not bothered...

The quote recommends a Gloworm 24hxi and comes to
£1557 in vat.

Is that reasonable? I think the guy is competent.
Made lots of notes, answered my question clearly, is
ex Gas Board. Will flush the system. Generally appeared
to know his stuff. Gave me a warm feeling.

The installation is very simple. The new boiler will
be sited close to the existing boiler so the pipework
will be easy. Access will be easy as kitchen units and
ceiling will be out. Condensation run to outside soil
pipe is simple. New cable for pump over-run is very
simple given the ceiling will be down. Flue is straight
up through floorboards, into cupboard in bathroom above
and then rt angle to the ourside world. The system is
already fully pumped.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Roy

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:58:49 +0100, "RzB"
wrote:

As part of a kitchen refurbishment we are renewing
our old Thorn M56/76B boiler.

See...

http://pix.gillandroy.com/diy/boiler/+ThornDetails.jpg

Ooh! A Thorn International M!

[...]

That appears to be a good price.
r.p.mcmurphy

RzB wrote:
[...]

well you could buy the boiler yourself from here..

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...i_Boiler_.html

and pay a plumber a days work to fit it for you. i did and i saved over a
grand.

steve

RzB

well you could buy the boiler yourself from here..

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...i_Boiler_.html

and pay a plumber a days work to fit it for you. i did and i saved over a
grand.

steve

Steve,

Hmm... That is actually the CXi the one specified is the HXi -
I think it must be cheaper but I haven't found a price on line yet.

I would imagine the cost to the plumber would be in the £400 range ?
So, before VAT that means about £800 for labour. Whats the going rate
for a plumber these days? £60 / hour ? So that's 15 hours...
Is that reasonable ?

Or have I got it all wrong...

Thanks,
Roy

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

RzB wrote:

I would imagine the cost to the plumber would be in the £400 range ?
So, before VAT that means about £800 for labour. Whats the going rate
for a plumber these days? £60 / hour ? So that's 15 hours...
Is that reasonable ?

£200 / day (VAT Exempt) or £200 + VAT for the LTD companies round the
South West though I did have one johnny knobsworth that thought he was
worth £250 ...... he didn't get any work his way.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

RzB

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote £200 / day (VAT Exempt) or £200 +
VAT for the LTD companies round the
South West though I did have one johnny knobsworth that thought he was
worth £250 ...... he didn't get any work his way.

Many tahnks for your response...

Hmm - So how long will this job take? Can't be more than two 8 hour days can
it ?

Roy

Mr Fizzion

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:19:21 +0100, "RzB"
wrote:

well you could buy the boiler yourself from here..

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...i_Boiler_.html

and pay a plumber a days work to fit it for you. i did and i saved over a
grand.

steve

Steve,

Hmm... That is actually the CXi the one specified is the HXi -
I think it must be cheaper but I haven't found a price on line yet.

I would imagine the cost to the plumber would be in the £400 range ?
So, before VAT that means about £800 for labour. Whats the going rate
for a plumber these days? £60 / hour ? So that's 15 hours...
Is that reasonable ?

I doubt if the plumber would get them at 400 quid, when they're just
under 700 including VAT. Did the plumber say how long it would take?

Mr F.

r.p.mcmurphy

RzB wrote:
well you could buy the boiler yourself from here..

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...i_Boiler_.html

and pay a plumber a days work to fit it for you. i did and i saved
over a grand.

steve

Steve,

Hmm... That is actually the CXi the one specified is the HXi -
I think it must be cheaper but I haven't found a price on line yet.

I would imagine the cost to the plumber would be in the £400 range ?
So, before VAT that means about £800 for labour. Whats the going rate
for a plumber these days? £60 / hour ? So that's 15 hours...
Is that reasonable ?

Or have I got it all wrong...

Thanks,
Roy

yes, i couldnt find a "HXi", so i have assumed a speling mistake by the
plumber. i paid 220 for a days work from a plumber mate...but that is what
he would normaly charge for the job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4201882.stm

steve

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

RzB wrote:

Hmm - So how long will this job take? Can't be more than two 8 hour days can
it ?

Shouldn't have thought so, if it's a straightforward swop out.
Might be worth suggesting you will be there for any 2 man jobs like
mounting the boiler to wall.

I paid 2 chaps for 3 days each, on a labour only basis as I had a load
of pipes & fittings etc to use up, and wanted a significant alteration
to existing pipework etc which worked out fine as I could just nip to
plumbers merchants for obscure bits needed and discuss alterations "on
the fly"

Would have taken me the rest of the year to do it myself. Time I didn't
have.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
RzB

"Mr Fizzion"

I doubt if the plumber would get them at 400 quid, when they're just
under 700 including VAT. Did the plumber say how long it would take?

Mr F.

Ahh - got it.. Yes - you are right - I can buy the HXi for £591 inc vat -
plus the flue etc - Probably as you say about £700. So it will probably
cost the plumber £600 ? Is that reasonable. Plus 2 days work at £250 ?
(he is Vat registered) £1100... as againt a quote of £1557...

Perhaps it will take 3 days... £700 + £750 = £1450... Getting close..

How long did he think the job would take?...that was the one question
I didn't get a straight answer on..

It really would be nice to have another quote to compare it with...

Ho humm..

Many thanks,
Roy

Alex \(YMG\)

"RzB" wrote in message
"Mr Fizzion"

I doubt if the plumber would get them at 400 quid, when they're just
under 700 including VAT. Did the plumber say how long it would take?

Mr F.

Ahh - got it.. Yes - you are right - I can buy the HXi for £591 inc vat -
plus the flue etc - Probably as you say about £700. So it will probably
cost the plumber £600 ? Is that reasonable. Plus 2 days work at £250 ?
(he is Vat registered) £1100... as againt a quote of £1557...

Perhaps it will take 3 days... £700 + £750 = £1450... Getting close..

How long did he think the job would take?...that was the one question
I didn't get a straight answer on..

It really would be nice to have another quote to compare it with...

Ho humm..

Many thanks,
Roy

Here you can get the 24 HXi for £532.69 (including standard horizontal flue
and fixing jig but excluding VAT). I've ordered from these people as a DIYer
(i.e. non Corgi registered) with no problems at all.

HTH?

Alex

Alex \(YMG\)

"Alex (YMG)" wrote in message
"RzB" wrote in message
"Mr Fizzion"

[...]

Whoops.

http://www.energy-smart.org.uk/boilers_prices.asp

There we go.

Alex

RzB

Thanks to all who posted. I have decided to go for it.
I checked with them, and there will be two plumbers
on site for a day - however long it takes. There will also
be an aprentice who evidently I don't pay for. I think
the quote is a little higher than it should be but not much.
At least I have some confidence that a good job will be
done and that's worth a little extra..

Many thanks,
Roy

RzB

Just to complete this thread... I had the work done this week.
The guys were very competent. Spent a lot of time flushing the
system... added a couple of bits not in the original quote for me...
All in all a very good job. There were two experienced guys
plus an apprentice... Total cost was just under £1600 inc vat as
they also added a couple of rad thermostats. I think I could
have purchased the bits for under £800 so manpower costs
were about £800+ they were on site for 9 hours - so for two
and a half men - hourly rate comes out to about £35 / hour.

I retired last year... I had 20+ high tech people reporting to me
and a load of high pressure personnel/project responsibility!
No where near £35 / hour !!!! But then I didn't have the expense
of buying flushing equipment, insurance, a van, Part P education,
spanners, accountants etc...
Ho humm...

I had to dispose of the very heavy old boiler, but this was not at
all difficult once I had dismantled it! I was amazed how easily it
all came to bits. I was expecting a real struggle with the bolts
holding it all together but they were hardly more than hand tight!

Thanks to all that posted originally...
Roy

Boiler Replacement alexbartman UK diy 55 April 12th 05 01:39 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler Replacement Peter G UK diy 2 January 9th 04 02:29 PM
Replacement boiler advice please. Peter Smithson UK diy 18 October 5th 03 09:40 AM
New boiler quote - is it reasonable ? darkhorse31 UK diy 9 September 2nd 03 11:49 AM