Dave G

Default Intumescent strip: channelled into the door ?

Regarding intumescent strip for use with fire doors: Is there any
reason why I can't inset it into the edge of the door rather than in
the frame? Would this still comply with building regs? Unfortunately
the door frame is made of hard MDF and very difficult to remove for
routing.

Many thanks

Dave G

Dave

Dave G wrote:
Regarding intumescent strip for use with fire doors: Is there any
reason why I can't inset it into the edge of the door rather than in
the frame? Would this still comply with building regs? Unfortunately
the door frame is made of hard MDF and very difficult to remove for
routing.

Many thanks

Dave G

That's exactly where mine is and the BCO signed it off.

Dave
Lobster

Dave G wrote:
Regarding intumescent strip for use with fire doors: Is there any
reason why I can't inset it into the edge of the door rather than in
the frame? Would this still comply with building regs? Unfortunately
the door frame is made of hard MDF and very difficult to remove for
routing.

AFAIK there is no specific requirement to set it into the frame - I
believe the fire/smoke-delaying requirements just apply to a closed
door. I could be wrong though!

If nobody comes up with a definitive answer I think this would be one of
those queries best put to the BCO directly; the regs might be open to
different interpretation in different areas of the country, or even
between different BCOs in the same office (been there, done that!). So
a quick phone call would set your mind at rest.

David

Chris Bacon

Dave G wrote:
Regarding intumescent strip for use with fire doors: Is there any
reason why I can't inset it into the edge of the door rather than in
the frame? Would this still comply with building regs? Unfortunately
the door frame is made of hard MDF and very difficult to remove for
routing.

It's fine, possibly better than in the frame. Only trouble is,
IRTA "into the floor". Um!
John Rumm

Dave G wrote:

Regarding intumescent strip for use with fire doors: Is there any
reason why I can't inset it into the edge of the door rather than in
the frame? Would this still comply with building regs? Unfortunately
the door frame is made of hard MDF and very difficult to remove for
routing.

Most firedoors seem to come with it mounted in the top - but often not
the sides. You can route it into the sides of the door, or you can do
without them and make the door stops = 25mm deep instead ASUI.

--
Cheers,

John.

David

In article , Dave G
writes

Regarding intumescent strip for use with fire doors: Is there any
reason why I can't inset it into the edge of the door rather than in
the frame? Would this still comply with building regs? Unfortunately
the door frame is made of hard MDF and very difficult to remove for
routing.

Many thanks

Dave G

Why not just paint the edge or the frame with intumescent paint, it does
exactly the same job and can be the same colour as the rest of the
woodwork

--
David
Dave G

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:06:43 +0100, David
wrote:

Why not just paint the edge or the frame with intumescent paint, it does
exactly the same job and can be the same colour as the rest of the
woodwork

--
David

Whoo-doggie! That sounds too easy! I never knew the stuff existed, but
thanks for the tip.

What I've ended up doing was using 25mm door stops, and the mandatory
3mm-minimum gap, and bugger-all else. If the Buildings inspector
orders me to install intumescent strips, it's no biggie to unscrew the
door and inset the said strip... or indeeed, paint with your
abovementioned paint...

Thanks to all for the help on this one. Gotta keep the grey-faced
beurocrats happy, right??

Dave G.