kd

Default laying carpet on top of laminate flooring

Is this a good idea or does it create problems?

ben

kd wrote:
Is this a good idea or does it create problems?

problems like what? no difference than laying carpet on floor boards. :-)

Christian McArdle

problems like what? no difference than laying carpet on floor boards. :-)

It can be an issue, as the laminate is floating. Can't the laminate be
removed?

Christian.

ben

Christian McArdle wrote:
problems like what? no difference than laying carpet on floor
boards. :-)

It can be an issue, as the laminate is floating. Can't the laminate be
removed?

Christian.

So what problem is it going to cause? and lets be honest floating is
minium.
Doesn't carpet float on underlay. :-)

Christian McArdle

So what problem is it going to cause? and lets be honest floating is
minium.
Doesn't carpet float on underlay. :-)

Not when it is stapled/grippered down at the edges.

It can't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to rip out the laminate though.

Christian.

ben

Christian McArdle wrote:
So what problem is it going to cause? and lets be honest floating is
minium.
Doesn't carpet float on underlay. :-)

Not when it is stapled/grippered down at the edges.

Heh!

It can't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to rip out the laminate
though.

And then you have to dispose of it. I cannot for the life of me see any
problems laying carpet over laminate and I would go as far as to say a
completely flat surface for carpet is more better than laying it over bumpy
floorboards or uneven concrete, depending whats underneath his floor.

Christian.

Richard Conway

ben wrote:
And then you have to dispose of it. I cannot for the life of me see any
problems laying carpet over laminate

But that can just get silly - what do you do when you want new carpet -
use the existing as underlay? At some point somebody is going to have
to pull up several layers and bin them all - why not do it properly and
get rid now?
dazzle

I would say take up the laminate - you are raising the level of your
floor and would prob look silly against your skirting boards. Do the
job properly.

Richard Conway

dazzle wrote:
I would say take up the laminate - you are raising the level of your
floor and would prob look silly against your skirting boards. Do the
job properly.

What you shouting at me for - its the OP who is being lazy

I think it would cause a dodgy step across the doorways as well.
John Schmitt

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:06:10 +0100, ben wrote:

And then you have to dispose of it. I cannot for the life of me see any
problems laying carpet over laminate and I would go as far as to say a
completely flat surface for carpet is more better than laying it over
bumpy
floorboards or uneven concrete, depending whats underneath his floor.

It does rather look like the predictions about school being back are
correct. Either that or a careless parent has failed to password lock
their computer. Has anyone a cat which randomly types on a keyboard, thus
nearly, but not completely vindicating the monkeys/typewriters/Shakespeare
theory? Tensioning the carpet onto the grippers will ultimately result in
a concave floor if not fixed to the floorboards. Also there will be a
small step created, which, depwnding on the swing of the door, will
possibly necessitate the planing down the door bottom.

John Schmitt

ben

Richard Conway wrote:
ben wrote:
And then you have to dispose of it. I cannot for the life of me see
any problems laying carpet over laminate

But that can just get silly - what do you do when you want new carpet
- use the existing as underlay? At some point somebody is going to
have to pull up several layers and bin them all - why not do it
properly and get rid now?

Is that what you do? put carpets over carpets instead of pulling the old
carpet up.

You exaggerating somewhat methinks.

ben

dazzle wrote:
I would say take up the laminate - you are raising the level of your
floor and would prob look silly against your skirting boards. Do the
job properly.

How do you know the skirting is not on top of the laminate?

Richard Conway

ben wrote:
Is that what you do? put carpets over carpets instead of pulling the old
carpet up.

No.

You exaggerating somewhat methinks.

No, just pointing out that it isn't always appropriate to simply put new
things over old things - sometimes it pays off to make the effort to do
the job properly.
ben

Richard Conway wrote:
ben wrote:
Is that what you do? put carpets over carpets instead of pulling the
old carpet up.

No.

You exaggerating somewhat methinks.

No, just pointing out that it isn't always appropriate to simply put
new things over old things - sometimes it pays off to make the effort
to do the job properly.

the way I see it should he decide or whoever lives in the property in a few
years time to have laminate down,its there if needed. :-)

Richard Conway

I wrote:
sometimes it pays off to make the effort to do
the job properly.

Okay, to be really sad and reply to my own post - it doesn't just pay
off sometimes, but most of the time.

Richard Conway

ben wrote:
the way I see it should he decide or whoever lives in the property in a few
years time to have laminate down,its there if needed. :-)

The carpet grippers round the edge would complement it well I'm sure!
Tony Bryer

In article , Ben wrote:
Is that what you do? put carpets over carpets instead of pulling the old
carpet up.

Seen that. One of my teenage memories is my dad paying me to take nine
layers of wallpaper off a house he'd bought - and this before the days of
steam strippers

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Richard Conway

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article , Ben wrote:

Is that what you do? put carpets over carpets instead of pulling the old
carpet up.

Seen that. One of my teenage memories is my dad paying me to take nine
layers of wallpaper off a house he'd bought - and this before the days of
steam strippers

You should have taken them off one at a time until you found one he liked!
ben

John Schmitt wrote:
[snip]

It does rather look like the predictions about school being back are
correct. Either that or a careless parent has failed to password lock
their computer. Has anyone a cat which randomly types on a keyboard,
thus nearly, but not completely vindicating the
monkeys/typewriters/Shakespeare theory? Tensioning the carpet onto
the grippers will ultimately result in a concave floor if not fixed
to the floorboards. Also there will be a small step created, which,
depwnding on the swing of the door, will possibly necessitate the
planing down the door bottom.

John Schmitt

Isn't it amazing how some people resort to being personal and insulting
when you have them in a tight corner. lol

S Viemeister

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Ben wrote:
Is that what you do? put carpets over carpets instead of pulling the old
carpet up.

Seen that. One of my teenage memories is my dad paying me to take nine
layers of wallpaper off a house he'd bought - and this before the days of
steam strippers

Our first house had 70s gold/brown shag carpet over 60s green shag carpet
over beautiful hand-cut and pieced 12" oak parquet blocks, with a border
which included walnut strips worked into a knot design in the corners. I
spent 2 weeks on hands and knees cleaning and polishing it. It looked
absolutely gorgeous when I was done.
Re-doing the floor in the kitchen was like doing domestic archaeology.

Sheila

John Schmitt

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:57:26 +0100, ben wrote:

Isn't it amazing how some people resort to being personal and insulting
when you have them in a tight corner. lol

More accurately, when they have painted themselves into said corner.

John Schmitt

Richard Conway

S Viemeister wrote:
Our first house had 70s gold/brown shag carpet over 60s green shag carpet
over beautiful hand-cut and pieced 12" oak parquet blocks, with a border
which included walnut strips worked into a knot design in the corners. I
spent 2 weeks on hands and knees cleaning and polishing it. It looked
absolutely gorgeous when I was done.
Re-doing the floor in the kitchen was like doing domestic archaeology.

Sheila

Oh, I can just imaging whoever lives in the OPs house in four or five
decades time being delighted when they uncover, after several layers of
assorted flooring, an example of late nineties, early noughties laminate
flooring. I'm sure they will spend as much time as you did restoring it
to its former glory!
Richard Conway

John Schmitt wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:57:26 +0100, ben wrote:

Isn't it amazing how some people resort to being personal and insulting
when you have them in a tight corner. lol

More accurately, when they have painted themselves into said corner.

John Schmitt

Its alright - he can carpet over the footprints in the paint!