S Viemeister

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Ben wrote:
Is that what you do? put carpets over carpets instead of pulling the old
carpet up.

Seen that. One of my teenage memories is my dad paying me to take nine
layers of wallpaper off a house he'd bought - and this before the days of
steam strippers

Our first house had 70s gold/brown shag carpet over 60s green shag carpet
over beautiful hand-cut and pieced 12" oak parquet blocks, with a border
which included walnut strips worked into a knot design in the corners. I
spent 2 weeks on hands and knees cleaning and polishing it. It looked
absolutely gorgeous when I was done.
Re-doing the floor in the kitchen was like doing domestic archaeology.

Sheila