Paul D.Smith

Default Cutting question?

Problem: A sheet of chipboard (about 1/2inch) with a sheet of plastic
(actually part of a skylight) above it. I want to remove about 1/2inch from
the edge of the chipboard without cutting into the plastic - what do I use?
I imagine current just less that 1/2inch and then carefully trimming the
rest would work.

I don't have the space to get a circular saw (set to correct depth) at the
chipboard and to date the best I've thought of is one of these cutters that
they remove plaster casts from people's legs with (looks like a small
circular saw blade on the end of a drill) - but who on earth hires those
out, and what are they called if someone does?

Any suggestions?
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Chris Bacon

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Problem: A sheet of chipboard (about 1/2inch) with a sheet of plastic
(actually part of a skylight) above it. I want to remove about 1/2inch from
the edge of the chipboard without cutting into the plastic - what do I use?

Stanley knife and steel straight-edge. Score repeatedly
'till through, doesn't take long.
Paul D.Smith

Stanley knife and steel straight-edge. Score repeatedly
'till through, doesn't take long.

I suppose the simplest solutions are always the best - sigh!

Thanks,
Paul DS

Ian Stirling

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Problem: A sheet of chipboard (about 1/2inch) with a sheet of plastic
(actually part of a skylight) above it. I want to remove about 1/2inch from
the edge of the chipboard without cutting into the plastic - what do I use?
I imagine current just less that 1/2inch and then carefully trimming the
rest would work.

I don't have the space to get a circular saw (set to correct depth) at the
chipboard and to date the best I've thought of is one of these cutters that
they remove plaster casts from people's legs with (looks like a small
circular saw blade on the end of a drill) - but who on earth hires those
out, and what are they called if someone does?

Any suggestions?

Dremel, with 'router' bit on the end, and a bit of tube as a depth stop?
Also, dremel does small circular saw blades for the dremel, which may suit.
Bob Eager

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:34:16 UTC, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Dremel, with 'router' bit on the end, and a bit of tube as a depth stop?
Also, dremel does small circular saw blades for the dremel, which may suit.

Seconded. That's what I used in a similar situation. There are three
kinds of 'saw' things:

1) Fibre disc; not much good here.
2) Metal/diamond disc; what I used.
3) An actual mini circular saw.

Take a look in a large B&Q to see what I mean. But don't buy them there!
They were doing 2) for about 25 quid; I got it mail order for about 16
quid delivered.

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com