Ian Cornish

Default window sill sealant

I have metal window sills (newish house), but on some the builders
seemed to forget to seal the gap between the sill and the brick. This
obviously lets water in, and I guess will cause rust and untold other
damage.
What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ? It's about 4mm
(sorry, I was born post decimalisation).

Ian
fred

In article , Ian Cornish
"icornish at talk21 dot com"@?.? writes
I have metal window sills (newish house), but on some the builders
seemed to forget to seal the gap between the sill and the brick. This
obviously lets water in, and I guess will cause rust and untold other
damage.
What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ? It's about 4mm
(sorry, I was born post decimalisation).

Frame sealant (believe it or not ;-):
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=24481 (brown)
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id=33114 (white)
Flexible & paintable, try to get some squished in to the gap rather than
just a smear over.
--
fred
Chris Bacon

Ian Cornish wrote:
I have metal window sills (newish house)

Well! I've never heard of that before. Steel doors, etc., yes - but...

, but on some the builders
seemed to forget to seal the gap between the sill and the brick. This
obviously lets water in, and I guess will cause rust and untold other
damage.
What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ?

Is it really necessary? No "drip" in the sill? If it's in ordinary
masonry, it will be subject to enough damp to cause rust, anyway.
I should *hope* it's galvanised. N.B. nothing lasts for ever.

It's about 4mm (sorry, I was born post decimalisation).

Pre-decimalisation people should be able to deal with the
conversion easily. Normally numerate people ditto. It's not
very difficult, especially in these days when 98% or so of
pupils get A at Maths. GCSE - or is it?
Dave Jones

"Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com" wrote in message
I have metal window sills (newish house), but on some the builders seemed
to forget to seal the gap between the sill and the brick. This obviously
lets water in, and I guess will cause rust and untold other damage.
What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ? It's about 4mm
(sorry, I was born post decimalisation).

Ian

Usually just filled with mortar, but any exterior silicon will do.

fred

In article , Dave Jones
writes

"Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com" wrote in message
I have metal window sills (newish house), but on some the builders seemed
to forget to seal the gap between the sill and the brick. This obviously
lets water in, and I guess will cause rust and untold other damage.
What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ? It's about 4mm
(sorry, I was born post decimalisation).

Usually just filled with mortar, but any exterior silicon will do.

If you use frame sealant then it has the advantage of being paintable, also
tends to be a bit more resilient.
--
fred

Eric The Viking

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Ian Cornish wrote:
I have metal window sills (newish house)

Well! I've never heard of that before. Steel doors, etc., yes - but...

, but on some the builders seemed to forget to seal the gap between the
sill and the brick. This obviously lets water in, and I guess will cause
rust and untold other damage.
What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ?

Is it really necessary? No "drip" in the sill? If it's in ordinary
masonry, it will be subject to enough damp to cause rust, anyway.
I should *hope* it's galvanised. N.B. nothing lasts for ever.

It's about 4mm (sorry, I was born post decimalisation).

Pre-decimalisation people should be able to deal with the
conversion easily. Normally numerate people ditto. It's not
very difficult, especially in these days when 98% or so of
pupils get A at Maths. GCSE - or is it?

It is when you consider that the other 8% get B or lower ;-)

ETV

Junior Member

Pre-decimalisation people should be able to deal with the
conversion easily. Normally numerate people ditto. It's not
very difficult, especially in these days when 98% or so of
pupils get A at Maths. GCSE - or is it?

It is when you consider that the other 8% get B or lower ;-)

err... 98% + 8% = 106% ?

clearly you are part of the 2%...

;-)
Junior Member

Well, he is posting from DIYBanter :-\

'course I am. Nothing wrong with that, I assume?

You may also notice I'm a junior member, and as such not used to such subtle humour (yes, I missed the smiley after the 8%)...
Junior Member

It screws up threading, quotes and attributions, and DIYBanter posters do seem to make multiple identical posts at times. It's a poor
substitute for real newsgroup access - even Google Groups is better if
used properly.

Thanks for the advice. Will try to get some newsreader software to post from now on.

What's a junior member?

I have no idea - I just noticed that my posts from DIYBanter carry this label under my name; probably related to total number of postings.