StealthUK

Default Carol Vorderman - Better Homes

Sorry, this may have already been covered, but I had to get it off my
chest....

What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?
They take a house worth 120k and spend 25-30k on it. Then Carol stands
back in amazement as an Estate Agent tells her the house is now worth
7k more???
Nothing in this show makes any bloody sense! The 2 houses are
competing against one another and the house that has increased in
value more wins, yet there is no budget limit at all. One house gets
the whole kitchen refitted, a new conservatory, decking and the whole
garden remodelled and the other house just gets a new bathroom. Guess
which one wins?

What a pile of crap.

end of rant
Chris Oates

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
What a pile of crap.

end of rant

& the point of Mz Vorderman is ?????
at least the girls on other 'home' programs
actually 'do' something.

Her 'money lending' adverts are worse

horrid woman

R P McMurphy

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
| Sorry, this may have already been covered, but I had to get it off my
| chest....
|
| What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?
| They take a house worth 120k and spend 25-30k on it. Then Carol stands
| back in amazement as an Estate Agent tells her the house is now worth
| 7k more???
| Nothing in this show makes any bloody sense! The 2 houses are
| competing against one another and the house that has increased in
| value more wins, yet there is no budget limit at all. One house gets
| the whole kitchen refitted, a new conservatory, decking and the whole
| garden remodelled and the other house just gets a new bathroom. Guess
| which one wins?
|
| What a pile of crap.
|
| end of rant

here here

rpm

Dave Plowman

In article ,
StealthUK wrote:
Nothing in this show makes any bloody sense! The 2 houses are
competing against one another and the house that has increased in
value more wins, yet there is no budget limit at all. One house gets
the whole kitchen refitted, a new conservatory, decking and the whole
garden remodelled and the other house just gets a new bathroom. Guess
which one wins?

Ignore the which one wins bit and treat it as a showcase for ideas. Not
that it's much good for that either.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Conrad Edwards

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:05:41 +0100, "Chris Oates"
wrote:

"StealthUK" wrote in message
. com...
What a pile of crap.

end of rant

& the point of Mz Vorderman is ?????
at least the girls on other 'home' programs
actually 'do' something.

Her 'money lending' adverts are worse

horrid woman

But I can get rid of all my debts.......

May

Chris Oates wrote in message

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
What a pile of crap.

end of rant

& the point of Mz Vorderman is ?????
at least the girls on other 'home' programs
actually 'do' something.

yes, with stencils, staplers and muslin, is all I've seen. lol

"StealthUK" wrote

What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?

Enough people enjoy watching it to make it profitable TV.

And that is ALL the justification it, or any TV programme, needs.

Barbara

Nick Finnigan

"stuart noble" wrote in message

StealthUK wrote in message ...
Sorry, this may have already been covered, but I had to get it off my
chest....

What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?

What else is she going to do with her maths degree?

Engineering, I thought. Mathematicians use radians.

Owain

"Alan" wrote
| And it just goes to show how much 'tradesmen' over change you and
| I for the 5 minutes all these jobs take to do

Be fair, it takes almost twenty minutes to do a complete loft conversion
including PP and B Regs approval!

Owain

Owain

"stuart noble" wrote
| StealthUK wrote in message ...
| What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?
| What else is she going to do with her maths degree?

Carol Vorderman's Detox for Life: The 28 Day Detox Diet and Beyond
Carol Vorderman's Guide to the Internet
Carol Vorderman's Guide to the Internet: The Internet for You and Your
Family
Carol Vorderman's Better Homes
Dirty, Loud and Brilliant, Too!
The Countdown Puzzle Mountain
Carol Vorderman's Better Homes and Better Gardens

Or any of 129 books and 5 videos listed on Amazon.

Owain

BAH

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
Sorry, this may have already been covered, but I had to get it off my
chest....

What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?
They take a house worth 120k and spend 25-30k on it. Then Carol stands
back in amazement as an Estate Agent tells her the house is now worth
7k more???
Nothing in this show makes any bloody sense! The 2 houses are
competing against one another and the house that has increased in
value more wins, yet there is no budget limit at all. One house gets
the whole kitchen refitted, a new conservatory, decking and the whole
garden remodelled and the other house just gets a new bathroom. Guess
which one wins?

What a pile of crap.

end of rant

Alleluiah, hear,hear! At last someone agrees with me because my wife
thinks the sun shines out of her backside!

I would like to kick her up the back side for her pathetic adverts designed
to increase the debt for people who can least afford it.

Michael McNeil

Alan wrote in message ...

What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?

Enough people enjoy watching it to make it profitable TV.

And that is ALL the justification it, or any TV programme, needs.

And it just goes to show how much 'tradesmen' over change you and I for
the 5 minutes all these jobs take to do

I think the idea is to use a "face" to sell TV no matter what. The
"idea" is to fill 24 hours of TV. Both the BBC and the others have
realised it can't all be done with news reviews and game shows.

The alternative is to show programmes but they cost money. Films
younger than 50 years old also cost, so bad haircut or not, it's a
face anyone can recognise and the same new same new.

As for tradesmen. The whole crew put in for whatever it takes when the
cameras are not rolling. If you used mdf in your own home to anything
like that extent (I have never seen the show but I do know the type)
you would lose amazing amounts of living space.

A 3/4 inch board all around the room on 2" battens takes up 6" length
and 6" breadth all around. The real alternatives a

1. Stripping the old wall paper and rehanging new.
2. Repainting.
3. Moving.
4. Get Cable or a DVD or a life or...
Woodspoiler

Enough people enjoy watching it to make it profitable TV.

A lot of this psuedo-educational crap is primarily entertainment
dressed up in a way that people find interesting (home-making and
DIY) and viewers can easily convince themselves that the time
they are burning on it is in fact self-improvement like reading
an educational book.

It isn't. You may pick up the odd useful point but that isn't the
main idea and as a means of picking up valuable info it's
massively inefficient (in terms of gain per hours viewing).

These are just the new cookery programmes where Gary Rhodes pours
in another gallon of lard for your entertainment while you peck
at your TV dinner. It doesn't matter that if you ate that stuff
he's making it'd give you a coronary quicker than your staple
diet of microwave chips will, hardly anyone who watches these
shows actually does any cooking but they can justify dribbling
their lives away by thinking that they are learning cookery.

W.

Brian

StealthUK wrote:
Sorry, this may have already been covered, but I had to get it off my
chest....

What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?
They take a house worth 120k and spend 25-30k on it. Then Carol stands
back in amazement as an Estate Agent tells her the house is now worth
7k more???
Nothing in this show makes any bloody sense! The 2 houses are
competing against one another and the house that has increased in
value more wins, yet there is no budget limit at all. One house gets
the whole kitchen refitted, a new conservatory, decking and the whole
garden remodelled and the other house just gets a new bathroom. Guess
which one wins?

What a pile of crap.

end of rant

Did you apply to take part and were turned down - hence the green eyed
monster called envy?

I doubt that those that have taken part will agree with your point of view
as it certainly makes sense to them - they are having the work done :-)

As always, this type of "show" is only of interest to those interested in
that type of thing and besides, if ITV wishes to spend their money in this
way then surely that is up to them and their sponsors?

I am sure that if you feel that stongly about the program then you can
exercise your right to either press the off switch or press the button on
the remote control and change channels or go and do something else whilst
SWMBO watches it.

Bri

Brian

Alan wrote:
In message , Brian
wrote

As always, this type of "show" is only of interest to those
interested in that type of thing and besides, if ITV wishes to spend
their money in this way then surely that is up to them and their
sponsors?

Their sponsors are every one of us that uses any of the sheds, garden
centres or mail order companies that give goods or money to these
programs.

The answer is then.........don't buy the stuff from the sponsors.

With regards to the sponsorship - this is a way to lots of blatant and
subliminal advertising that makes you want to go out and spend your hard
earned cash on their products - and that is all sponsorship is - another
from of advertising.

Do you object to their advertising budgets which are probably umpteen times
more expensive than a straight sponsorship deal - and for which you
ultimately pay for in the price of the product that you buy.

Brian

Toby

Vorderman should do a Delia and retire, or just stick to countdown.

The only speck of light on an otherwise bleak TV horizon is C4's "Other
peoples houses"
I like the way they are invited in to film someones pride & joy, yet the
posh girl totally slags it off on voiceover.
I can't imagine the nation settling down to an evening in front of Norm.

Toby.

Owain

"Woodspoiler" wrote
| A lot of this psuedo-educational crap is primarily entertainment
| dressed up in a way that people find interesting (home-making and
| DIY) and viewers can easily convince themselves that the time
| they are burning on it is in fact self-improvement like reading
| an educational book.
| It isn't. You may pick up the odd useful point but that isn't the
| main idea and as a means of picking up valuable info it's
| massively inefficient (in terms of gain per hours viewing).

I can remember when gardening programmes would put plant names (in Latin,
that would be too elitist now) up on screen and talk about the right soil
type and sunlight etc.

Now it's all decking and water feechurs and the 4' high nursery-grown shrubs
delivered on trolleys are just there to fill the blank bits left over at the
end.

You learn absolutely nothing about gardening.

Owain

StealthUK

"Brian" wrote in message news:bhoqd9

Did you apply to take part and were turned down - hence the green eyed
monster called envy?

I doubt that those that have taken part will agree with your point of view
as it certainly makes sense to them - they are having the work done :-)

As always, this type of "show" is only of interest to those interested in
that type of thing and besides, if ITV wishes to spend their money in this
way then surely that is up to them and their sponsors?

I am sure that if you feel that stongly about the program then you can
exercise your right to either press the off switch or press the button on
the remote control and change channels or go and do something else whilst
SWMBO watches it.

Bri

Yes, I'm just bitter and twisted. It was late and I'd had a few drinks
when I posted this thread, but the truth must be told! :-)

Brian, the point I made was that this program makes no sense. Okay,
they can improve peoples' houses, there are plenty of programs where
they get work done at the program maker's expense, I'm not here crying
about them. Why mention the value of the home before and after if
you're not going to tell the viewer how much the bloody work cost!
Improving peoples' homes and pretending that fairies installed it all
at no cost is pathetic. Also, I just remembered in the very first
series the family whose home had increased in value more also got a
cash prize. So, the more money you had spent on your home the more
likely you were to win the extra money. This program should win a
prize for stupidity. Runner-up can be that other ITV turkey (I forget
the name) where they gave someone x amount of money to somebody to buy
a house from an auction, renovate it and then re-sell it through the
auction.
StealthUK

"people's" rather....excuse the error!
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Now it's all decking and water feechurs and the 4' high nursery-grown
shrubs delivered on trolleys are just there to fill the blank bits left
over at the end.

You learn absolutely nothing about gardening.

Bob Flowerdew put it nicely on R4's Gardening World yesterday - they don't
do any gardening, simply makeovers. This is fine, perhaps, when you
first move in to a new house, but after that you'll need to maintain and
hopefully improve things.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Brian

StealthUK wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message news:bhoqd9

whilst SWMBO watches it.

Snipped

[...]

Hi Stealth,

The sense in the program is this - the company that makes this or any type
of commercially run program relies heavily upon advertising revenues to make
a profit that keeps them afloat and their shareholders happy oh! and also to
fund that particular program and all the others that they make or buy in.

To get the advertising accounts they need to have a show that people will
watch in their thousands so that they can then run the advertising campaigns
in the "commercial breaks" and the more popular the show the bigger charge
they can make- so therefore as far as they are concerned whether the
program make sense or not as long as people are prepared to watch it then
they can make their profit.

Hence the reason that they put some of (to me) the most stupid of shows on
at the peak viewing period and that is because there are millions of viewers
who do not agree with my view and will watch them

In a nutshell, programs do not have to make sense to all viewers but they do
have to make a profit for the investors - hence the fact that they now have
four "comercial" breaks to the hour each lasting around the five minutes
thus cutting into the content of the program (instead of the old 3 x 3minute
breaks that the used to have) whether the poor bloody viewer agrees with it
or not.

(may need a bit of work to make sense out of this but I am having a bad hair
day :-))) )

Brian

ARWadsworth

StealthUK wrote in message ...
Sorry, this may have already been covered, but I had to get it off my
chest....

What is the point of Better Homes with Carol Vorderman?

What else is she going to do with her maths degree?

She could work out why a size 14 dress will not fit on a size 16 woman.

Adam

geoff

In message , StealthUK
writes
"Brian" wrote in message news:bhoqd9
Bri

Yes, I'm just bitter and twisted. It was late and I'd had a few drinks
when I posted this thread, but the truth must be told! :-)

Way to go ! who hasn't

The sentiments were, however well conveyed

--
geoff
Alan

In message , StealthUK
wrote

Yes, I'm just bitter and twisted.

At least that was Champion Beer of Britain this year

http://www.camra.org.uk/SHWebClass.asp?WCI=ShowCat&CatId=263

It was late and I'd had a few drinks

--
Alan

Woodspoiler

Hi Stealth,

The sense in the program is this - the company that makes this

or any type

snip snip snip

In a nutshell, programs do not have to make sense to all

viewers but they do
have to make a profit for the investors - hence the fact that

they now have
four "comercial" breaks to the hour each lasting around the

five minutes

snippety snip snip

Brian

That's all true, but is this the most that people are CAPABLE of
appreciating, or what they've been CONDITIONED to appreciate?

If I were a conspiracy theorist (I'm not, but it's fun to pretend
sometimes) I'd say that the low-grade pig swill served up as
edutainment is indicative of a populace that has mostly been
made, and is being kept, stupified, distracted and therefore
conveniently docile. Work/spend/work/spend... till you die, and
don't notice or make a fuss about anything important.

Or maybe it's just what happens when the going is too easy for
too long. tongue in cheek Start a war, draft most of 'em up for
five years, put the rest on rations and lob the odd bomb at 'em.
How many vacuous makeovers and poncy overpaid chefs would there
be then? /tongue in cheek

W.