Tim Steele

Default Temporary double glazing / plastic film for insulating windows

Having trawled through Google's archives it seems that such things were
available from places like B&Q and Homebase years ago and are still
available in the US (Amazon sell a kit made by 3M) but I couldn't find any
reference to anyone selling this stuff now with the exception of DIY
Plastics who are rather expensive.

Anyone know better?

Thanks

Tim

Colin Wilson

Having trawled through Google's archives it seems that such things were
available from places like B&Q and Homebase years ago and are still
available in the US (Amazon sell a kit made by 3M) but I couldn't find any
reference to anyone selling this stuff now with the exception of DIY
Plastics who are rather expensive.

I did have a stack of the damn stuff a few years ago - it was going for
about a quid a pack in one of the local cheap shops... think I got rid
of it all though :-/

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Tim Steele" writes:
Having trawled through Google's archives it seems that such things were
available from places like B&Q and Homebase years ago and are still
available in the US (Amazon sell a kit made by 3M) but I couldn't find any
reference to anyone selling this stuff now with the exception of DIY
Plastics who are rather expensive.

Anyone know better?

Sorry, don't know if it's still available.
However, a piece I put up 19 years ago (Sellotape brand IIRC) on
the pane of glass over the front door is still there and in perfect
condition. It is completely invisible unless you know it's there.
It is held in place with double sided Sellotape, and was then
shrunk with a hairdrier to pull it tight and remove any ripples.
I took the effort to very thoroughly clean the window and surrounding
paintwork before fitting it, including cleaning the area the double
sided tape sticks to with white spirit. This care seems to have paid
off far more than I ever imagined.

Meanwhile all the rest of the properly double glazed windows in the
house had to be replaced a few years ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Pete C

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:31:19 GMT, "Tim Steele"
wrote:

Having trawled through Google's archives it seems that such things were
available from places like B&Q and Homebase years ago and are still
available in the US (Amazon sell a kit made by 3M) but I couldn't find any
reference to anyone selling this stuff now with the exception of DIY
Plastics who are rather expensive.

Anyone know better?

Hi,

Wickes might do them, I got a couple of packs from there that I'm
going to put on Ebay.

How soon do you need them, I was going to list them when the weather
gets a bit c-c-cold...

cheers,
Pete.

Florida Plastic film windows daveyjones Home Repair 6 January 11th 14 10:44 PM
slight OT - remove plastic film strip from asphalt shingles? [email protected] Woodworking 9 April 17th 06 08:01 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame James W UK diy 29 February 1st 04 11:58 AM
Secondary double glazing for patio doors? John Smith UK diy 0 July 20th 03 11:27 PM